tama metalworks 12x4

Fishbones

Silver Member
does anyone have opinions about the tama metalworks 12x4 snare? im thinking of picking one up. i would use it as a main snare. id use it for funk, jazz, rock, blues, and drum n bass - hopefully its applicable for these styles.. i really like a high pop sound in my snare, and ive always loved steel drums. opinions welcome. thanks guys!!

Last edited:

Wick

All of the metalworks are amazing snare drums, and at an amazing price. Probably one of the best on the market currently, and those sizes sound good for funky stuff

Fishbones

Silver Member
they currently have a deal at GC - the jimmy degrasso, morgan rose, and mike mangini snares are all on sale from 100 to 150 bucks. im thinking about the morgan rose one. not usually a fan of his playing, but a price like that is hard to beat. and plus its a build that i like - 5x14, 1mm steel shell, 42 strand snares... hopefully that would work for funky stuff too.

Garvin

Pioneer Member
I have that exact drum. It is awesome. I bought it to use as a side snare, but I use it as a main now for the funk/jamband stuff. It's got pop and it carries. Very nice drum, great price.

they currently have a deal at GC - the jimmy degrasso, morgan rose, and mike mangini snares are all on sale from 100 to 150 bucks. im thinking about the morgan rose one. not usually a fan of his playing, but a price like that is hard to beat. and plus its a build that i like - 5x14, 1mm steel shell, 42 strand snares... hopefully that would work for funky stuff too.
Which GC??? I would love to get a JD for that price
I cant see anything on the website
Called local GC in FL and nothin

Wick

I would go for the hammered brass one, but thats just me :p

Fishbones

Silver Member
Yeah I looked around and made several calls looking for the jimmy but seems it sold like hot cakes
i played one at GC... its waaaay too loud for me. and i usually love steel and some brass snares. but that thing had rimshots that physically hurt my ears. there were a few metalheads there beating the hell out of it. it was annoying. i mean i play a ton of rock but that thing was just too much

I just got a hold of one in California I mean $174 bucks shipped for that snare is a steal.
If it doesnt work for me which I doubt I will sell it later on