Tama Imperialstar add-on toms

KSEfan

I'm looking to expand my Imperialstar kit from a standard-size 5 piece (12x9, 13x10, 16x16, 22x18, 14x5.5) and add a 10x8 tom for a 3 up, 1 down set up. Unfortunately, I've hit a snag. I got my kit in the Ocean Mist Blue finish (I'm not very fond of it but it was a gift), and Tama discontinued that color some time this year. I'm unable to find any retailer that sells pieces in that color, and I'd really prefer not to mix colors on my kit. I checked Ebay and surrounding Craigslist auctions with no success, and from what I gathered, Tama doesn't care about customer support at all. Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction as to where I might be able to find one in this finish?

Drummerboyo

I've only been on this site for two days and I've read numerous people expressing their dissatisfaction with tama and their customer service/support
I'd save a lot of time by going third party and seeing if any company can wrap the drum (when you buy one in what ever colour) in the same colour as your kit??
Quick google gave me these guys http://www.precisiondrum.com
Can't vouch for them, but I'm sure a little research would turn up someone who can wrap the drum in the correct finish. (Their website said they do tama kits btw)

v.zarate

Gold Member
I've only been on this site for two days and I've read numerous people expressing their dissatisfaction with tama and their customer service/support
I'd save a lot of time by going third party and seeing if any company can wrap the drum (when you buy one in what ever colour) in the same colour as your kit??
Quick google gave me these guys http://www.precisiondrum.com
Can't vouch for them, but I'm sure a little research would turn up someone who can wrap the drum in the correct finish. (Their website said they do tama kits btw)
someone had a drum on here made by percision before for a older ludwig if i recall. it was made to ludwig spec. he did have to by the hardware online somewheres for it

tamadrm

Platinum Member
I'm looking to expand my Imperialstar kit from a standard-size 5 piece (12x9, 13x10, 16x16, 22x18, 14x5.5) and add a 10x8 tom for a 3 up, 1 down set up. Unfortunately, I've hit a snag. I got my kit in the Ocean Mist Blue finish (I'm not very fond of it but it was a gift), and Tama discontinued that color some time this year. I'm unable to find any retailer that sells pieces in that color, and I'd really prefer not to mix colors on my kit. I checked Ebay and surrounding Craigslist auctions with no success, and from what I gathered, Tama doesn't care about customer support at all. Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction as to where I might be able to find one in this finish?
Tama dosen't care about customer support at all?The how did they become one of the premier drums companies on the planet,and a major player since the 70's???

The color ,you're refering to is a wrap,which hasn't been made in years.So where is Tama suppose to gat a piece of wrap from,that will exactly match your kit?

Differences in color of the same wrap,will vary from lot to lot,so,even if the company is still offereng you the same color wrap,it my not exactly match.That's with ANY drum company,because they don't make their own wraps,they buy then in sheets or rolls.

Do you think that a DW red sparkle tom,made 10 years ago,with perfectly match a new one?Not a CHANCE.

So ,Tama would have to buy a 100 yards of so of your wrap,to build 1 drum,does that make any sense at all?It would cost them thousands to build a single drum.Are you willing to pony up that coin?

Here's how you find your drum.The old fashioned way.You invest the time to check Ebay,guitar center used,CL,local classified and any place else,where drums are for sale,and eventually,one may pop up.

Or,you can save up some coin,sell your kit,and buy what you want.You could also just find any 10" Imperial star tom,and add it on,who cares if it matches.

I know you really don't want to hear that,but that's just the way it is,and anything else is just being dishonest.

Steve B

Drummerboyo

Tama dosen't care about customer support at all?The how did they become one of the premier drums companies on the planet,and a major player since the 70's???

The color ,you're refering to is a wrap,which hasn't been made in years.So where is Tama suppose to gat a piece of wrap from,that will exactly match your kit?

Differences in color of the same wrap,will vary from lot to lot,so,even if the company is still offereng you the same color wrap,it my not exactly match.That's with ANY drum company,because they don't make their own wraps,they buy then in sheets or rolls.

Do you think that a DW red sparkle tom,made 10 years ago,with perfectly match a new one?Not a CHANCE.

So ,Tama would have to buy a 100 yards of so of your wrap,to build 1 drum,does that make any sense at all?It would cost them thousands to build a single drum.Are you willing to pony up that coin?

Here's how you find your drum.The old fashioned way.You invest the time to check Ebay,guitar center used,CL,local classified and any place else,where drums are for sale,and eventually,one may pop up.

Or,you can save up some coin,sell your kit,and buy what you want.You could also just find any 10" Imperial star tom,and add it on,who cares if it matches.

I know you really don't want to hear that,but that's just the way it is,and anything else is just being dishonest.

Steve B
I think you might have confused my observation from other people's opinions about tama and OP's genuine question for a complaint?
I'm not reading you post wrong am I? That was a full on BF. (white chicks reference...)

tamadrm

Platinum Member
You're most deffinately reading it wrong.I was relpying to the OP,not to you.There was not a hint of confusion in my post .It's what's called full on honesty.I don't even know what BF means this week,I prefer words.

As far as a basis for complaint.I see none,just "from what I gathered",which, at best amounts to here say.

I might also point out that many drum companies that import their drums,make them only in kit form,and rarely offer add ons,especially for a discontinued model or color.That's just NOT how the industry works,custom drums aside,and even THEN,the're tough to match.

Steve B

Mikecore

Silver Member
Are the Imperialstars fully glued wraps? If they are not, then there might be a relatively easy solution that will kill two birds with one stone.

I say get any color 10" Imperialstar tom, pick your favorite color wrap, and re-wrap the entire kit. OP said he didn't really care for the original color anyway. I'll bet there's a ton of info on the intertube on how to do things like removing the badges and air grommets, and peeling the original wrap without hosing the shell. Get the wraps pre-cut and glue them on.

KSEfan

Steve B
And this is why I stopped coming here. You ask a simple question here, and aside from the nice guys who genuinely try to offer advice or help (thank you guys), you always get guys willing to bash you up and down over the simplest of stuff. I asked because this is the newer Imperialstar series from just a few years ago, so I don't know where you got 10 years from. These drums in this finish were available just a few months ago when I last looked, so excuse me for believing it wouldn't be far fetched to ask. Also, Tama doesn't have any customer support from what I've gathered. No email or phone support. I googled the number to ask them myself and got threads of people asking about their customer support and people telling them that their is none.

tamadrm

Platinum Member
No bashing was intended at all,sorry if you felt that way..Just an honest answer.

The 10 year thing was an example of how different lots of wrap will differ,even with top tier companies.

As far as new,a few years can be a long time as far as some drum companys are concerned,and Tama,is KNOWN,for changing their finishes every few years or so.

The finishes you saw a few months are, existing old stock,and not new inventory,which dosen't reflect on current availability.

Tama,like other drum companys,can be contacted through authorized Tama dealers,who can best advise you on product information.Tama is one of those companys,that simply can't afford to answer direct questions,so they let their dealers become the buffer .This seems to work for most customer service ,in warranty,or general questions.

Sorry if you feel I came on too strong,but again,I was just being honest,and had no intention of bashing anyone,nor do I see where I have.

Just because some people say that something dosen't exist,because they aren't using the system correctly,dosen't mean it's so.

Steve B