taking up guitar.... maybe

get_rad

I've been drumming for about 2 and a half years now and am around the intermediate stage at the moment. I've had multiple experiences through drumming (school band, doing a school production of grease, school theme song, playing in bands etc) and could never imagine letting go of it.

lately my band has began to write and i feel like i could offer more if i was able to play a guitar. Do you think this is a good idea or should i just stick with drums for a while? will it help my drumming? do you guys play any other instrument and if so how has it affected your drumming? feedback is appreciated!

M

mediocrefunkybeat

I play the guitar. I also play bass. I sing too. I took up violin last year but I'm terrible and I used to play the piano. I program sequencers as well.

All these things are musical. I think the trap a lot of drummers fall into is the idea of drumming in isolation. By playing more instruments you become a better-rounded musician and stop being so focussed on drumming per se. This is a good thing - many drummers are so obsessed with drumming that it becomes a technical exercise rather than a musical one.

Take up another instrument. It'll do you good!

Redfern

I have to keep my drums at my bands studio as i live in a block of flats so im not able to practice the drums all the time, i picked up a guitar which i can practice at home but i still play the drums when i get together with the band, i feel if i can someday become efficient on the guitar aswell, i can maybe get a bit more involved in helping them write some music for the band as i kind of just leave them to it and then just give my opinion on finished riffs.

I wouldnt say give up the drums after 2 1/2 years and completely switch instrument, but i dont see any reason not to learn another one on the side, unless you would much prefer to play guitar then the drums, if thats the case, then maybe the drums should be yur instrument to learn on the side?

Mark_S

Silver Member
I'd say go for it. Drums will always be my main instrument, but I have started learning the piano, and have been thinking about learning violin or viola too. I used to play the cornet when I was a kid in the school band, so might even try and see if I can still play that soon. It's all good, as long as you can keep the most important ones (to you) at a good standard.

M

mediocrefunkybeat

Mark, a warning. The Violin is a HARD instrument to learn. Really, really hard. I only really found this out after I started learning!

Mark_S

Silver Member
Mark, a warning. The Violin is a HARD instrument to learn. Really, really hard. I only really found this out after I started learning!
Hehe, yes it does look really hard - I need a room *more* sound proof than my drum room so I don't scare the locals. I don't want the police turning up with reports of me torturing cats!

@get_rad: here's a good example of a very talented guy on drummerworld who plays more than just drums:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DajBN2aF2w

So it is possible :)

SgtThump

Platinum Member
I play the guitar. I also play bass. I sing too. I took up violin last year but I'm terrible and I used to play the piano. I program sequencers as well.

All these things are musical. I think the trap a lot of drummers fall into is the idea of drumming in isolation. By playing more instruments you become a better-rounded musician and stop being so focussed on drumming per se. This is a good thing - many drummers are so obsessed with drumming that it becomes a technical exercise rather than a musical one.

Take up another instrument. It'll do you good!
I couldn't agree more. My main instrument is lead guitar, but I can play several others to different degrees. I've gigged on bass and am about to play at least one gig on drums.

It definitely makes you more well rounded and well... it's fun!

get_rad

i think i'm gonna try it, I'll look for a used guitar and amp or something and try and learn a little bit. i'm definitely not gonna abandon drums at this point though, i'll still be taking lessons and they'll still be my main instrument, but i think an extra challenge will be kind of fun on the side. thanks for all the response guys! can anyone recommend a good starter guitar by any chance or should i venture to a guitar forum?

diegobxr

Silver Member
I've been drumming for about 2 and a half years now and am around the intermediate stage at the moment. I've had multiple experiences through drumming (school band, doing a school production of grease, school theme song, playing in bands etc) and could never imagine letting go of it.
lately my band has began to write and i feel like i could offer more if i was able to play a guitar. Do you think this is a good idea or should i just stick with drums for a while? will it help my drumming? do you guys play any other instrument and if so how has it affected your drumming? feedback is appreciated!
Hey, man, just a question 'cause I think I might be getting the wrong idea here. You're thinking about taking up guitar, I get that, and it's great, but you are not thinking about quitting drums, are you???

Look, I've been playing drums for almost 10 years now. Drums are, and forever will be my instrument.
For all this time I've also been """"playing""" the guitar. I mean, I never went to a formal teacher, I just learned how to play songs with guitar pro and the occasional friend. I know how to read tabs, I know maybe 95% of the basic open chords and I can play a lot of popular songs, yeah, but I don't know music theory, I don't how to read standard notation, I never ever made a single exercise (like what rudiments are on drums, let's say) to improve my technique or anything, and maybe I play it 4 days in a row and then I don't lay hands on it for a whole month.

Needless to say, to me, that is not really playing an instrument. That's just.. I don't know.. having fun with it.. but not playing it. I could never call myself a guitarist. And even though I can play better than many guys who do call themselves like that, still, I'm not a guitarist. I'm a drummer, who plays a little guitar. ;)
---

Anyway, long story short, lately I've been feeling bad about that. I really want to learn how to play another instrument. I always liked bass. But since I didn't have a bass at home, I didn't do the same that I did with the guitar.

Yesterday, finally, I bought my first bass. And next tuesday I have my first lesson. :)

I strongly recommend you to take up guitar, but take it seriously! Get lessons and learn music theory, that's what's gonna help your composing abilities. Learn how to read too. Don't waste time like I did. A melodic instrument will help you inmensely as a musician. :)

But of course: DON'T QUIT DRUMMING !!!

Cheers!

diegobxr

Silver Member
i think i'm gonna try it, I'll look for a used guitar and amp or something and try and learn a little bit. i'm definitely not gonna abandon drums at this point though, i'll still be taking lessons and they'll still be my main instrument, but i think an extra challenge will be kind of fun on the side. thanks for all the response guys! can anyone recommend a good starter guitar by any chance or should i venture to a guitar forum?
Damn it, man, you posted like 2 seconds before I did, haha.
I'm glad you're not quitting drums.

There are lots of good starter guitars. It mostly depends on what style and sound you're looking for. Do you want the twang of a Strat or a Tele? Or prefer the fatter tone of Les Pauls or SGs?
Personally, I like Squier guitars. Standard Series Squier Teles and Strats are great.
And Epiphones aren't bad either (I even had a Les Paul Special II and it was good).

However, if you're starting maybe you'd want an acoustic guitar. It's a different feel and some people think is better to learn on them. Anyway, have fun.

Cheers!

get_rad

Damn it, man, you posted like 2 seconds before I did, haha.
I'm glad you're not quitting drums.

There are lots of good starter guitars. It mostly depends on what style and sound you're looking for. Do you want the twang of a Strat or a Tele? Or prefer the fatter tone of Les Pauls or SGs?
Personally, I like Squier guitars. Standard Series Squier Teles and Strats are great.
And Epiphones aren't bad either (I even had a Les Paul Special II and it was good).

However, if you're starting maybe you'd want an acoustic guitar. It's a different feel and some people think is better to learn on them. Anyway, have fun.

Cheers!
I was thinking about going with an electric, like the squier strat route and a little 10 watt amp or something because i'm 14 and my money supply comes from umpiring little league haha. but i believe my sister might have a old yamaha acoustic that she hasnt played for like 4 years, so maybe i can talk her into letting me use it

oh and by just sticking with drums i meant only playing drums until i've become a more advanced player, sorry if that lead to any confusion, im definitely not giving the drums up any time soon, i can't even spend a day away from them at this point haha

RaveDrummer

Heres a tip, Learn Theory... I first started playing the trumpet like 8 years ago, i learned the scales and keys and such... And then i picked up playing drums about 5 years ago, started playing in a youth band, and my kit would sit up at the church... So i eventually picked up my dads acoustic cause my drums werent at home, and i loved it... Theory is what helped me out the most i would say into being able to have fun and play what i want instead of just learning tabs... because anyone can learn a song through tabs, but it takes a good amount of knohow to play along with somone and have fun making up your own stuff, and being able to contribute to others and knowing how it works, so you can better yourself as a drummer, i currently am in a rotation with a few bands, playing drums and rythm guitar whenever they need me as such, (oh btw, power chords are your friends lol )

cobamnator

Wow, how does he get away with selling those for only $80?
I don't know, But I bought his Strat copies before and they are GREAT instruments. WAY better than the cheap Squier guitar.

have you ordered from this site before? Can i trust it?

I have, and you can trust it. I know several people that have and never had a problem. The owner is very honest and reasonable. I would highly recommend this guitar...that is, if you want an Electric Guitar.

These are NOT "Beginner" "Cheap Quality" guitars, they are playable, great sounding guitars. I sold mine a while ago, however, I am thinking of buying a other one. I miss it!

Peace