Tablet for backing tracks.....issues.

benthedrum

Good evening to all you wonderful members on DW.

I have a little concerning issue with my tablet.

I am currently working on a project with a guitarist from an old band I used to be in.

We want it to be a two piece, bass players are a pain to find.

So we have been using midi files to generate bass lines and keys etc.

We save them as mp4s......I simply have the tablet mounted on my rack, and simply tap the song I need that we are playing.

There has been an interesting thing that happens.....

Even just playing a normal, regular song, sometimes the tablet says...."Media Error 0000111" just out of the blue, whereas it played the song 5 minutes earlier no problem and then BAM! it won't play it again.

The tablet in question is a Samsung Galaxy SM-T380.

So my obvious concern is being onstage and this happens.

I'm wondering if tablets aren't really very reliable for this kinda thing?

Maybe the software in an MP3 player is better.

I like 8 inch screens as they are easier to see and use onstage.

Samplers are great but expensive and don't usually have enough RAM to play entire songs....is that right?

EricT43

I think tablets should be fine for what you are trying to do. It sounds like a problem with your tablet specifically. Maybe you can research what that error means. I did a quick Google search and didn't find anything about Media Error 0000111.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
MP4 files may not be as bullet proof as mp3 files? What if you made them .wav files instead?

benthedrum

MP4 files may not be as bullet proof as mp3 files? What if you made them .wav files instead?
I am such a dingus sometimes.

Sorry, I actually meant I save them as mp3s.

wav files you reckon eh?

Hmmm.......well, I could give it a go I suppose.

benthedrum

I think tablets should be fine for what you are trying to do. It sounds like a problem with your tablet specifically. Maybe you can research what that error means. I did a quick Google search and didn't find anything about Media Error 0000111.
Hey Eric, thanks mate for actually doing some research for me.....that's very kind of you.

Well, I THINK it comes up with at that code number, it always pops up then disappears before I get the chance to see it properly.

Gottliver

Wav files are huge. Will eat up your memory pretty quick.

Not to be an apple fan boy, but there is good reason why they are the standard for music and design applications. If you have access to an ipod touch, ipad or even an iphone, upload your tunes there and give it a try.

crash

Just a thought. You could try a factory reset on the tablet. That may fix the problem. I know it's time consuming.
For big files, I load them on a thumb drive. You can get a short cable that connects the thumb drive to your tablet. I have all of my MP3's and WAV files stored like this. Good Luck!

Alain Rieder

Silver Member
If you had an iPad, you would also have access to the iOS version of Garage Band, which is free and may be a great help to create backing tracks !

JonnyOzDrum

I'm with Alain. An iPad with Garageband/iTunes is a great way to go. However, regardless of the device or operating system, using a standard audio player for playback should work fine.

Besides doing the factory resets, and making sure the audio tracks are MP3 or WAV, let me ask - is the audio stored locally on your tablet (system memory)? Or is it on an SD card (external storage)? If you're loading the audio from the SD card each time, then it could be an issue with the SD card itself, and how your system/application is reading it.

Make sure to have the audio on the system memory so that it can be processed efficiently.

Hope that helps.