Table of Time exercises

WhoIsTony?

so it's snowing like a bitch here on the north east coast so I took a few minutes to record a real quick table of time video

I first go through it with straight singles, quarters to 32nds and back @60 bpm

then through with stickings
singles
doubles
paradiddles
again @60 bpm

the paraddidles become deceivingly difficult through the quarter trips, 5s, and 7s...give it a try

yes....the quarter trip section goes for 4 measures with paradiddles so the right hand can resolve with the met

....and on the way back down in the "stickings" version I do the 7s section twice because I did not like the one on the way up or the first one on the way back....none of the 7s are all that good...or any of it for that matter .... but you get the idea :)

really cool mental and physical exercise

hope you dig

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG6n5PNks6M

Last edited:

Magenta

Platinum Member
I dig! I think I'm going to enjoy "spending time" (euphemism) with that - cheers!

I thought Anthony had retired from the forum; how come the You Tube link has his name? Unless WhoIsTony is his cousin and has borrowed Anthony's You Tube log-in, perhaps. Yeah, that must be it.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
This video is great! I can't wait to try and wrap my hands and feet around it.

When doing it in just singles, what is it called from :13 to:20? I can count it and follow the pattern, but don't know what its name is.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I'm definitely going to do this with the alternate stickings. Never occurred to me to try that. Just add that to the list of things I get from you WhoIs? I can see right now that doing the triplets as paradiddles will keep me busy for a while.

WhoIsTony?

This video is great! I can't wait to try and wrap my hands and feet around it.

When doing it in just singles, what is it called from :13 to:20? I can count it and follow the pattern, but don't know what its name is.
those are quarter trips

6 notes per measure

...and yeah....doing this on your feet is great as well

I'm definitely going to do this with the alternate stickings. Never occurred to me to try that. Just add that to the list of things I get from you WhoIs? I can see right now that doing the triplets as paradiddles will keep me busy for a while.
yeah uncle L those are a challenge for sure ...the quarter trips, 5s, and 7s I find most difficult in paradiddles

but while learning them I heard so many melodies developing in my head

when the sticking changes you just hear the subdivision differently .... it's great

Stroman

Platinum Member
Thanks for doing this, Anthony! It's amazing how hard this is to do at 60BPM. You really have to concentrate.

We did similar exercises for warm ups in drum corp (MANY years ago now), but they were generally much faster and we didn't do 5s or 7s. Great stuff!!

Thank you again.