Sweaty Hand Issue

EuDrummer91

Hey all,
so I have sweaty palms almost all of the time and this is no exception when drumming. With my band's first couple of gigs coming up I'm concerned that I will potentially drop the drumstick, i.e. it will fly out of my hand at some point. This happened during the recording of our EP (toward the end of a near perfect take which was very very frustrating). Does anybody else suffer from this, if so (or if not) does anyone have any suggestions how to combat it and I don't make a fool of myself infront of a mass crowd of about 20? haha
cheers

jjmason777

There are various products for this. I would suggest either some grip tape on your sticks, or gloves. Zildjian makes a good drumming glove. There are also sticks that are dipped in a rubber like coating. Experiment to see which of these solutions work best for you.

alex19

i use grip tape. i wouldnt be without it. ive never dropped a stick since using it! its only £5 too. never tried the sticks dipped in rubber, but iv herd good reports. always carry a spare pair of sticks and have them handy too. you dont just need sweaty hands to drop a stick ;)

Fuzrock

Silver Member
Dropping sticks or breaking them shouldn't be embarrassing. It happens. Just make sure you have extras around and make sure you can reach them with both hands. Grab another one and keep on rockin. No big deal.

A

Anthony Amodeo

Ive always found perspiration helped my grip

although the root of this problem may be in your technique .....which I wouldnt be able to tell for sure unless I saw you play .... if this problem continues try some stick wax or a little athletic tape

if you go the tape route be sure to not use to much because this will change the weight of the stick

only a small piece is needed.....just a little something to bite on around the fulcrum area

EuDrummer91

Ive always found perspiration helped my grip

although the root of this problem may be in your technique .....which I wouldnt be able to tell for sure unless I saw you play ....
it could well be my technique, is gripping the sticks too tight what could be leading to it?

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I have used the following in my time. Sand the finish off of the sticks...Vater now makes Nude sticks with no finish. White candle wax, rub the sticks on the candle, it won't come off on everything so don't be concerned. Plasti-Dip...available in the hardware stores. Dip your stick in the can, hang them by the tip overnight to dry. Works great.. gloves, don't like the feel. Zildjian makes Dipsticks....the only thing I like about Zildjian sticks...or and this is very controversial , keep a towel handy, and just dry off once in a while. Dropping sticks happens so have spares handy.

D

drumfreak1987

know whatchu mean man. you can do the stick tape route, but it (the vater stuff, at least) is just adhesive gauze!! go to walgreens and get some adhesive gauze or similar medical grade tape, you'll save a bundle compared to name-brand stuff. i do sticky hands (those stretchy sticky things kids play with, i just cut off the string) instead of moongels too!! a 4''x30' roll of adhesive gauze will cost you $20, one roll of vater stick wrap (the gauze type stuff) measuring 1''x30' will cost $8 (you will spend around $12 more buying vater's stick wrap to cover the same amount of sticks than you would with generic sticky gauze, and twelve bucks could go to gas money). four rolls of vater grip tape will cost $10 and only cover two pairs of sticks; nexcare makes waterproof tape you can find in the first aid isle, measures 1''x15' for $5.50. anyway, now that the penny pincher in me has come out (i save on drums so i can spoil my fiancee-lol), let's talk technique. think of a wet bar of soap: do we squeeze the mofo when applying it??? nope! we hold it loose and relaxed, to keep it from slipping away. apply that principle to your sticks. i sweat like a knocked-up nun, don't use gauze or tape anymore; i keep my hands loose, so it's not a problem for me. either or both of these should help!!

JohnnySomersett

A drummer I used to know had this issue and he solved it with a combination of medical grade anti-perspirant followed by a little talcum powder on his hands before a show or rehearsal.

Rather than change sticks or whatever, maybe just try and stop your hands from sweating so much?

A

audiotech

I've tried several pairs of DIP sticks but after a while they would start to irritate some of my fingers. What I do now and have been doing for many years, is just keeping extra pairs located strategically on both side of the kit. I rarely drop a stick, but I do change them out frequently.

Dennis