Support your local music store!

bmuren

I get the impression that many of you guys get almost all of your gear over the internet, mostly because the array in the stores is too small or the prices are a little bit higher.

Guys, support your local music store! If the store doesn't have what you want, then make them order it for you. I have had some good experiences where some piece of drum gear breaks, and the store gives me a new one.

Do we want a good local music store? Then we better "make" one.

(Just wanted to say it. Feel free to discuss and share experiences about your store)

Err

My 'local music store" has let me down several times where as Guitar Center and On-Line stores have always came through in the clutch for me!

caddywumpus

Platinum Member
I have tried to support the local music stores, but they keep going out of business. There ARE a couple that are still doing well, and I support them whenever possible. I have only bought 2 pieces of gear online, and everything else I bought where I could look at it, hold it, and PLAY IT IN PERSON before buying. I almost never buy stuff from the local box stores, unless it's a deal and in the used section...

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
It's pretty simple really. When they stop charging 2 to 3 times the US price for the same piece of equipment, they'll get all the support I can muster.

Until then, I owe it to my family to save every penny I can. You wanna pay top dollar for the same item, that's your bag. Me?.....the cash is better off in my pocket and I won't apologise for ensuring that it is. It's not a matter of not wanting to, more a matter of music stores in Oz being commercially unviable for anything outside of heads, sticks and other smaller items. :)

Last edited:

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I think most stores are going to fade away, with the internet and warehouses and delivery services replacing them. I said most stores. Certain things you will have to get locally, but the internet, with it's unlimited stock, and free delivery.... is too much of an attraction. It's easier, cheaper and faster. There is no chance for the Mom and Pop's of the world. The world will follow the profits, and a retailer that doesn't have to pay the premiums to keep a brick and mortar store alive will realize more profits.

8Mile

Platinum Member
My god, yes. It's not even close. I detest the Guitar Center-type places. I only buy through my local shop. They charge competitive prices and offer SO much more that I can't get from online shopping.

First of all, I can try stuff out before purchasing, which is invaluable to me. I'm on the fence about what my next jazz ride will be. The guys have no problem with me bringing in some of my other cymbals to see what works best in contrast/combination. They'll even let me take it home to try it out if I want.

Then, there's the way they take care of me. Something I order doesn't come in on time? They'll loan me something comparable until it arrives to get me through a gig. Last spring, I was on my way to a gig when I got a call from the band leader telling me I needed to bring a set of microphones. The problem? I didn't own any. No matter, though. My shop loaned me a full set at no charge and even threw in some stands. That got me through the gig.

But most of all, I like hanging out at a shop that's staffed by drummers. I can ask questions, get recommendations from guys who are working professionals and who "get it." I spend at least one day a week there just shooting the shit with the crew and it's a great respite from the office job.

I'm big on supporting local businesses so it's just a slam dunk for me to shop at my local place. The owner sold me my first kit, over 25 years ago, when he worked at a shop that later closed. I took lessons from a guy who taught at his first store. So, we go way back.

Support your local f****** shop, is right. If you don't, there won't be any left. I do my part.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
I think most stores are going to fade away
Unfortunately that's true, and it's happening here in L.A. where you'd think there's enough of a music community to support the shops. In the last 2½ years, 3 drum shops and one of the music stores I frequented have closed, and I'm guessing there are others. A 4th drum shop almost called it quits, but decided to hang in there at all costs.

Truly the economy has done the most harm lately, Guitar Center and Sam Ash aren't the real culprits. It always fascinated me that people believed the box stores had the best prices and selection, but only occasionaly was that the case. The independents competed well, if given the chance. But perception is truly reality, and it's amazing people aren't better shoppers considering how extra-careful they are with their dollars these days.

Yes, shopping online offers an almost limitless selection, allows quick price comparisons, and may also save tax and shipping, although that was hardly the case when I recently shopped the Roland SPD-SX. My local store had it for FAR less than it could be had online, even less than Guitar Center's limited offer of $150 off a large purchase. In fact, I usually get better pricing at my local dealer, even though I have to pay tax, than I can get online.

The other part of buying sight-unseen/sound-unheard, is that you really don't know what you're getting in some cases. Is it wise to buy a cymbal online at 50% off if you can't try it? Why not visit your local shop, even Guitar Center or Sam Ash, and try the cymbals, and still get 50% off. That's the standard deal these days, just like with heads. Can you tap-test the heads when buying online? No, and if you're buying Remo, you'd better have that luxury!! Rolling sticks? Trying a bass pedal? Testing a cowbell? The tax is a small price to pay for being able to select the right thing the first time, and have it in your hands immediately. I guess you can return stuff bought online, but I'll bet you'll wish you'd just spent the extra $15-20 on tax to have had it right in the first place.

I'm not saying online is bad, although I make very few purchases from Interstate, Musician's Friend etc, or GC or Sam Ash's online stores. I'm just saying that buying something sight unseen and possibly overpaying for it isn't a wise use of money, and it can be costly to think that your local small shop hasn't already matched or beaten the online price. Yeah, they may have had higher prices before, but the smart shops have fallen into line and are genuinely competing. It's only fair to them - and us - to give 'em a shot at a sale.

Bermuda

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
In Aus the zildjian k hats are tagged $800 in stores whereas I can pay $350 for them online without bargaining an American retailer (a store with overheads, not a warehouse). $350 is a reasonable price but somewhere between $350 and $800 is a price that reflects the Aussie retailers cost, a price I would pay to support local business but they won't move, prices are the same as when our dollar was weak, so in cases like this one I'll say 'screw you, I tried to be reasonable but I'm going to save my money now'.

If it's something like sticks, skins, hardware/DVDs etc then I will just buy them here but when I'm looking at a snare/kit/cymbal I'll def be checking out eBay.

zambizzi

Platinum Member
I get the impression that many of you guys get almost all of your gear over the internet, mostly because the array in the stores is too small or the prices are a little bit higher.

Guys, support your local music store! If the store doesn't have what you want, then make them order it for you. I have had some good experiences where some piece of drum gear breaks, and the store gives me a new one.

Do we want a good local music store? Then we better "make" one.

(Just wanted to say it. Feel free to discuss and share experiences about your store)
Why? So I can pay more for the same thing and be that much more poor, as a result? So I can go into the store, only to be told that this-and-that is not in stock, but they can order it for me? We had a little local drum shop and it was terrible. It's out of business now...and rightfully so.

How about these local stores adapt to technological progress or just go away, like any business should?

It's too bad that some moms-and-pops aren't finding a niche as the world changes, but that's just how economies change and grow. The more your dollar purchases, the wealthier you are. Going poor to support a dying business model isn't the best solution for you, the consumer, or the dying business model.

simmsdn

Silver Member
Thank God my 'local' drum shop is Columbus Percussion and even though I continue to move around the country and the world, I still buy my heads and stuff from Jim Rupp.

Deathmetalconga

Platinum Member
Why? So I can pay more for the same thing and be that much more poor, as a result? So I can go into the store, only to be told that this-and-that is not in stock, but they can order it for me? We had a little local drum shop and it was terrible. It's out of business now...and rightfully so.

How about these local stores adapt to technological progress or just go away, like any business should?

It's too bad that some moms-and-pops aren't finding a niche as the world changes, but that's just how economies change and grow. The more your dollar purchases, the wealthier you are. Going poor to support a dying business model isn't the best solution for you, the consumer, or the dying business model.
I use local music stores whenever possible. I am a local business and I rely on local people by and large to earn my living.

I do buy and sell on eBay, big boxes and online. I don't like that it takes music stores so long to order stuff. But I always give local merchants a fair shot at my business.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
As a former employee of "local music store" I would love to support the little guy.

But there simply isn't one close by. I've have to dive past two GC's and a Sam Ash to get the closest local drum, and that drum shop barely stocks anything.

To get the next closest drum shop means driving past one additional GC and one additional Sam Ash.

And with the economy, every music store in town, big and small, has cut back on the number of models of sticks they offer, so I can't even get the size I want locally from anyone anymore.

Despite the fact that I live in one of the so-called music capitals of the world.

tard

Gold Member
Ive tried but the local mom and pops music stores around here only carry lower priced stuff plus the consumables like strings, heads, sticks, etc and when you need something thats out of stock you have to wait till they do their stocking order and if you want to order something out of one of their books that they dont normally stock you got to wait till they get a min order so they get the free shipping. I waited 9 months once for some dixon stuff and when I asked what was taking so long they told me they need to get a $300 order from dixon to get the free shipping so I was like give me your book and I ordered a new throne to get the order over $300. When it came in the store had made a mistake on one of the pieces I wanted and I had to wait another 6 months for the next order to get a cymbal boom arm, the only good thing was it was for my practice pads and wasnt something I needed right away. I bought a demo light controller for cost and it had a switch with a burnt out indicater light but was gonna get me a new switch. Within a month another one burned out but told me hed get 2 when the order went thru, I kept asking about it and after a year went by the unit was no longer being made and no replacement parts were available. They had another light controller there and told me he would sell it to me at cost to make up for the burned out lights on the other one so I did some reaserch on it then I told them to order 3 more compatable pieces for it and id take it, 6 months went by and I asked if he had got them yet and he said no, a year goes buy and its still siting there and the other pieces I wanted are no longer available so here .and ive had worse luck at the canada wide music chain store too, they seem to forget about the $5000 drum set I bought 13 years ago and the $7000 pa I bought 5 years ago and only want to help out the guys that are buying weekly.I was waiting at the counter for the sales man to finish up with his customer beside me so I could get some help as I wanted to order a new skb 15" square snare case plus some other stuff and just as he was finishing up some guy came in he knew and he walked right past me to talk to him and sell him some felts for his cymbal pads. I almost lost it right there but I held it together and went home and wrote an email to customer service and a week later a received an email with a sorry but things happen and sales men dont always notice what customer was next and bla bla bla excuses, anyway I bought tha case on line and saved $40. Now I just make sure I got spares for all the stuff that could break at a gig and make sure to order the stuff I use up online before it runs out. Im sorry to say that I buy most of my stuff online now but I see it at more than just the music stores, a lot of stores these days seem to forget 2 things about customer service, #1 customer and #2 service,. Sorry for the rant but I felt it needed to be said.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I like to think I have a relationship with the guys at Pro Drum in Hollywood. They've done so much for me over the last 25 years that I don't really think of going to the big box stores first (the owner even loaned me his car once when I had to go buy a part for my car when I got stuck once). But what's cool about Pro Drum is they don't give you this attitude if you decide to buy somewhere else. They're bigger than that and after being around for over 50 years, I doubt they think missing some of my small purchases is going to hurt them. But they're not like a struggling mom & pop business, so I guess none of this applies to them. There are no local music stores within 20 miles of me except Sam Ash and Guitar Center. If it's a big purchase, Pro Drum gets it. Small stuff? If I have time to drive out to Hollywood, Pro Drum gets it too. If not, GC and SA is it where I live.

Evilbagua

Silver Member
I buy all drum items locally on Craigslist or at Tucson's Rainbow Guitars. Deceptive name because they have some of the most knowledgeable dudes in the world there and the prices are often better than big box stores. 100% better selection of mid-highend-boutique quality stuff I mean how often do you see a full brady kit at a gc? neva.

Check um out. Rainbowguitars.com

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Most local shops where I am carry off brand crap gear. Sorry, but you have to have what I want, I won't support you solely because you're a Mom and Pop. I want a good selection at a good price, and fast. If they could provide that and be competitive, then yea they would get my business first. But the stores around me are not all that. Business is business.

Pimento

There are 3 shops in my city that sell drum stuff, i support 2 of them.

One has this AWESOME drum dude, he tauht me how to do tap tests, makes head recommendations, and talked me OUT of buying things i can make myself (he showed me how to cut a head to use as a dampening ring, i use them while recording, but keep to moon gel for gigs as it looks a bit neater and doesnt fall off as the home made rings sometimes do).

He will also take the time to come out to a bands jam space, and for a few beer will tune your kit (while explaining in great detail what hes doing) so that it sounds great for an important gig or recording. He will even bring a selection of heads, which, at least for me, he threw in for free and if i liked them, charged me the next set i bought. The only down side is that he has some strong opinions i dont necessarily agree with all the time and tries very hard to get you into his camp lol.

The other one is a big canadian store, and they treat me very good, they buy some of my used gear, and discount what they can when they can, the sales guy i always use also takes the time to help me when im on the fence about something and will set up a kit for e to play weither im trying out the drums, cymbals or a pedal, and doesnt care if i screw around for 6 hours, trying 100 different cymbals and buy nothing. He even is looking into ordering saluda cymbals so i can get an idea of what theyre like.

A big bonus is both these stores try very hard to get canadian brands in, which i support.

uniin

Gold Member
i buy most things from my local store - cymbals, skins, some drums, but when it comes down to somethings (like drum sticks, and more expensive snare drums) i'd rather get it from states, as its much much cheaper.

bosphorus cymbals are cheaper here then they are over the states, so i'm happy :)

jodgey4

Silver Member
I'm fortunate enough to be 10 minutes away from Tommy's Drum Shop, and Tommy is there sometimes. All the employees are great. They helped me a lot today getting some new tension rods for a Remo Piccolo I got for Christmas, and I ordered some new heads. The small price increase at stores ends up being negligible. I'm really tired of most big chain stores nowadays. Sure, the prices can be great, but something's missing... not just the lack of quality customer service and such.