Support local drum clinic/performance?

Drumsinhisheart

Silver Member
Yeah, big city vs. small town USA (or wherever). I have never lived in a big city. Closest would be New Haven, CT many moons ago, before clinics and drum events were popular, and seeing clinics or drum events of any kind now are always hours away.

I would go regardless of the player and their skills just to be supportive and encouraging, especially to give others encouragement to do it. And I am speaking smaller community. I don't know how someone could even do something in a large city unless it was in association with a school at some level, or music store, or something.

This kind of links with the discussion about youtube. People only have so much time to spare. I tend to think people in smaller communities have more time than those in cities because of the mismatch of things to go out and do.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
I think where said event way is in relation to what is going on around it would influence anyone's answer.

In a small town where clinics and live performances are rare, people might have more incentive to go see a clinic because they have never seen one, or have seen very few.

I live in Los Angeles. There are name drummers doing something around town all the time. There are numerous live venues with live music 7 days a week. There isn't the time to support even a fraction of the things I am interested in going to see.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
I would need more information before just showing up. There'd have to be some reason, some incentive to go, such as knolwing they're focusing on something that might interest me.

So no, I wouldn't go just to support the community, I need a more cogent reason. The clinician would need to do a better job with their advertising in order to attract people.

This applies in particular to gigs. I can't just go out and see every band without them first generating sufficient interest.

Bermuda

keep it simple

Platinum Member
A drummer rents a venue (or it is donated) and does some small, modest advertising to hold a clinic/performance of some kind. You have never heard of him.

Do you go, to support the local music community, or do you not go because he is a "nobody?"
I'd certainly go if I had the time. Nothing to lose really, & maybe everything to gain :)

100drummers

A drummer rents a venue (or it is donated) and does some small, modest advertising to hold a clinic/performance of some kind. You have never heard of him.

Do you go, to support the local music community, or do you not go because he is a "nobody?"
Oh I'd go in a heartbeat if I had the time. Worst that could happen is you wouldn't click on what he had to offer. But the possibilities on someone going to that small amount of trouble to demonstrate something seem greater than the risk of it being a dud.

\We drummers can be an inspired lot, so it's always worth a shot.

Drumsinhisheart

Silver Member