Sum yourself up

keep it simple

Platinum Member
Ok, I've been a member of this forum for a while now & I love it. Loads of opinions about noted players & members posting their stuff for others to comment on, but what about your opinion of yourself as a drummer. Let's hear honestly how you rate yourself. Your style, your strengths, & ultimately, your weaknesses. I find it really grounding to recognize what I'm good at, and therefore, what gives me pleasure. Maybe you're happy where you are right now, or maybe you're aiming for the stars. I'll kick off with me.

I'm a basic rock drummer, both in terms of my playing style and what I like to play. My command of the rudiments is quite poor, especially double stroke & paradiddle routines, but my single stroke work is strong. I think my interpretation, feel & dynamic skills are good. I'm inventive, solid, powerful and sensitive when needed but my repertoire is limited by my lack of rudiment ability. I like to introduce space in my playing to allow the music to breathe. I love powerful but quite naked grooves and fills that challenge the beatwork. I'm happy with where I'm at and have enough skills & experience to make good music. I'd like to progress my rudiment skills but I'm not going to kill myself doing it.

Let's hear it from you guys. I'm intrigued. Go on, be brave!

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
The only opinion that matters to me about my own drumming is not my own, it is of the other musicians who I get to play with. It's not about me, it's about everyone but me.

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
Hahaha, I'm not that brave :)

However ... I saw a blues band tonight led by Aussie blues legend, Continental Robert, and I loved his drummer's feel. Heaps of sensitive ghost notes and he produced such richness of sound with with a basic 4-piece kit plus hats and a crash-ride. He really excelled in the bounce numbers where he'd just play four on the floor with kick and hats, and did pretty well anything he wanted with his hands with lovely sound and feel.

I love playing blues too and my current band plays a fair bit of it. But I still sometimes pine for an old band back I was in around 1981 which kind of realised our singer's bizarre musical vision (she was a Nina Hagen and Henry Cow fan). Totally anti-establishment; she didn't care for "normal" chords, melodies or beats. At times she'd bring in a new song she'd written and we'd all be like, "What the ^&%$ is that?" but we'd always end up somehow hammering it into shape, adding riffs and progressions as middle 8s to get the pieces to fit together. Plenty of diminisheds and diminisheds and flat 9s and goodness-knows-what. There was so much freedom to interpret as we saw fit.

One day ...

Pls pardon the ramble - much sangria drumk at the bar :)

JT1

Silver Member
Sure i'll say something about me.

I'm a rock and metal drummer mostly, competent in both styles. I like to make up creative grooves however it can be difficult for me to do so a lot of the time. I'm branching out into funky groove orientated drumming with more open hi-hat work as i feel it will improve my other styles of drumming as well as my creativity. I'm like you, 'keep it simple' not really into rudiments and things although i like the six stroke roll and i have been practicing paradiddles a lot recently in hope to strengthen my weaker hand and to give me some more ideas for playing. I love to play double bass when it is called for and i especially like to play rolls with the feet, 16ths into triplets and triplets into 32nd notes etc or bursts of 32nd notes throughout constant 16th notes. My single pedal technique is not bad, i'm just trying to improve this to include fast doubles and triplets with one foot which i'm finding difficult.

All in all i'm happy with what i play although i can have bad days like everyone and i like to progress at my own pace.

freebirdgdw

Silver Member
I've played for about 5-6 years and I like to play hardrock/punk/metal beats and I can do so fairly well I'd like to think. I'm no technician by any any means, more Dave Grohl raw power. I'm really bad at my rudiments because when I had lessons my teacher went 'these are rudiments. you should learn them.' He probably only said that once on my first lesson. He never drilled into me how important they are. Like Keep it Simple said, I'd like to learn them but they're not really a major aspect of my playing. I can play double bass but I'm always wanting to increase its speed and be able to do odd beats and rhythms with them like my hands can. For now my playing can get me by in the genres I like to play and I think over this summer I have progressed a lot.

Been playing off and on for 10 years. Mostly off when I had to live in condos and apartments while working my way through college. I am a product of the 80's so hard rock is my thing but I enjoy funky stuff too. Joined a rock cover band 2 years ago so most of my practice time now is spent learning covers rather than practicing the stuff I should be to go to the next level. I'm not a WOW drummer. Not a hard hitter really. I have my rudiments down well and I can do them fast and strong and I think my fills are solid. Just started learning double bass last year and it's kicking my arse! I think I am as good as I can be considering the free time I have to practice. My cover band does well and we play some fun gigs.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
Been playing on and off since about 1970. These days I play R&B, Moderate Rock, Contemporary Country, and Contemporary Bluegrass. Im a dependable, consistent player that can hold time well. I have good dynamic control. I dabble in jazz a little and I like to put a small hint of Jazz into my other styles. I have the ability to listen to the other players and make adjustments when needed. I can do a fairly decent solo when I want to. I guess that Im a slightly above average player. Drumming is my hobby, I'm not trying to be a pro. I explore what I want to learn at my own pace. I've been working harder over the past few years that I ever did in the past. I'm taking the time to correct bad habits and learn terms and technique. Older and wiser I guess! I get many compliments from folks at gigs all the time. I must be doing something right!

Dave_Major

Silver Member
Cool this is fun

I am my own worst enemy at times. I am a very driven individual and I know what I want to achieve. Therefore I know what my weaknesses and strengths are though because I am a perfectionist often to me my strengths and never strong enough.

I think my strengths are my adaptability, my open-mindedness and my professionalism.

Drumming wise I'd say i have a pretty decent grasp of rudiments and the like and am pretty creative at times. I can play most styles pretty easily and have worked very hard on dynamics over the past few years so yeah I ca go from quiet to loud. (i once got told I was the quietest drummer my bass player had ever heard!..i took it as a compliment)

In terms of weaknesses they would be my left hand (both speed, power and control), single bass drum control (again speed, power and control all could be better) My latin leaves a lot to be desired and my shuffles can be rank at times!! I also need to improve the comfort of moving round the kit. I am in awe of all the top guys how they spread singles so effortlessly round the kit. Especially floor tom to snare.

cheers

Dave

mcbike

Silver Member
I have been playing drums since 1993. I haven't gone a week without playing since then, and have at least played a show every week except for 3 weeks when I was on vacations. The most important thing that I am good at is showing up on time, sober, and ready to play. I am really comfortable playing rock, and hardcore, but I have been in country bands, hip hop bands, and jazz bands. My strengths are single strokes, independence, interdependence, and any of the flam rudiments. I think I can play a "train" better than most drummers, and it's my favorite beat to play. My weaknesses are slow tempos, rushing, and rushing double shuffles, keeping a steady blues beat. another weakness that really bothers me is that i'm slower at left hand lead rudiments than I am at right hand lead and to me they should be the same. I am also really bad at uptempo jazz/acid jazz.
another weakness is sometimes I start a really ambitious fill and it lands wrong at the end and not always in a good way.

TheGroceryman

Silver Member
I've been playing ever since i can remember (3rd grade). Now im about to be 18 starting college. In the however many years ive been playing, i think about 9, i've seriously played the set for about half that. the beginning half was all about concert percussion and learning the basics very slowly. I didnt really have interest in drums until a few years into it. i told my mom to get me a set and she did. thats when i really fell in love with the instrument. I would say im a decen player, can keep time fairly well, have a pretty good rhythmic vocabulary. I'd say im well trained in the basics and essentials of drumming, i know all the rudiments and have great technique. Drumming is a big hobby of mine and i look forward to forming a band in college. I am not looking into being a pro musician though if the opportunity arises, ill be the first to grab it.

I'd say my strengths include fluid playing, speed, rudimentary knowledge, and variety.

weaknesses...i stink at jazz at latin, i cant move around the kit quickly though i have a strong single stroke roll on one drum, and my time is off occasionally.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
The only opinion that matters to me about my own drumming is not my own, it is of the other musicians who I get to play with. It's not about me, it's about everyone but me.
Yep. Other musicians decide if we're good, we don't.

Bermuda

zambizzi

Platinum Member
Plenty of potential but started too late to ever fully realize it. Deep love and fascination of all things drumming...both technical/analytical and emotional/creative. Work hard everyday but am constantly humbled by all the great musicians I talk to here and in everyday life. Happy with what I'm able to do now but will never be satisfied...and hopefully will always feel as such and constantly push forward with the same ferocity.

In the end, all that matters is that I'm able to *make music* with others. What a gift!

rogue_drummer

Gold Member
I'm too am the best drummer in my family, if I do say so myself.

The others can sing, play some clarinet, some violin, some guitar, and beginning flute...LOL

Spreggy

Silver Member
I'm just trying to get that sound in my head to come out thru my hands and feet. I never seem to find it, but sometimes, I get some of it.

drumr0

Silver Member
Interesting thread. I live in a relatively small town, and there aren't too many drummers around. I feel like I take growing spurts in my ability. I have played drums in churches for the last 15 years and have learned greatly from that. It's helped me develop dynamics, and has helped me to be very sensitive to what the song needs drumming wise. I think my timing is OK. I'm no good at rudiments, can barely play a jazz pattern, and just basically a rock drummer. Kind of in the Dave Abbruzzesse style with those funky rock patterns.

I am a copycat drummer for the most part too. I hear something I like, then do the best I can to copy it. Sometimes it works and sometimes not.

What is interesting to me is that I am the least competitive person that I know. I suck at every sport known to man, and could care less if I win anything, but when I sit behind a set of drums, watch out! I'm giving it 110%! But every time I go into a drum store and watch some of the drummers that play for a living, I get a dose of humble pie.

I truly enjoy playing. I don't play as much as I would like to, but if I need to learn a song for church or my band, I will make every effort to do that.

SOGdrummer

Don't think this thread is about whether we think we are good or not or if others think we are good...everyone needs to occasionally assess where they stand and where they may need improvement, etc. Goes for the job, the family life, any sport (why does Tiger Woods need to practice putting for example) and certainly for being a musician of any level.

If you know your strengths, your limitations, and your goals for being a drummer then you will be able to work on improving where you need to or perhaps more importantly be able to accept your abilities and enjoy playing music.

As a 53 year old drummer who began in 4th grade (10 year old?) but did not play for a long time (after having kids and concentrating on work and family) I came back into it about 4 1/2 years ago...

I know I don't have the hand speed I used to have, I know that my rudiment skills need improvement but I also know that I truly enjoy playing again and truly enjoy being in the two bands I am in. Of course I am critical of my playing sometimes but those who are listening to our music seem to really enjoy it and the other musicians I play with seem to be happy with my contributions...not flashy, certainly not the "wow" factor that other drummers may possess but I play for the music, for the other musicians, and for the audience. Works for me.

By the way, Bermuda I know that you continually are working on your drumming...you didn't get to your level of skills without doing so...one of the things that makes you a real pro.

Jack

dairyairman

Platinum Member
i'll play anything. if someone wants me to play, i'll play, no matter what style. i'm not a snob about any type of music.

my main genre is rock music of all types. that's what i grew up playing and that's mostly what i play today. i'm pretty good at hand work and rudiments. i would say that's a strength for me, at least compared to most rock drummers. i can play a solid blues shuffle or perdie style shuffle. i'm a pretty good (but not exceptional) jazz drummer. i'm an ok double basser and i can play some metal music, but i'm no derrick roddy. i can read music reasonably well, but my sight reading is not great, especially for a complicated chart.

as far as weaknesses go, i have some. i'm not much of a brush player. i can pound away with brushes but i can't do those cool sounding sweeps very well. i could be better at latin drumming. i'm working on salsas and mambos and stuff like that, but i have a way to go.