Suggestions for a Gigging Kit?

HipshotPercussion

Local venues here are all about cramped spaces and very short set-up times. I've been using my home grown Sonor jungle kit, but that's being shipped off to the grandchildren for Christmas.

I'm thinking of maybe getting a Sonor Safari or a Sonor Bop kit, but haven't taken that step because I've already had the Sonor basswood thing (and liked it, I admit) and would prefer something with, if not a better, then at least a different, sound. Price would have to be under $500, and a used kit would work for me as long as it's small and sturdy.

Any suggestions?

Cameo

Gold Member
Sonor is great, but I'd take a look at Yamaha. Their entry level kits are awesome! The craftmanship giving to each indivdual drum is outstanding for such "low" (bad word, but you know what I mean...) level kit.

Mapex Meridian Birch / Maple in Manhattan outfit is something you should look into.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I guess my question would be, can you hear a noticeable difference between the intermediate level drums? I'm not sure if I can. When I had the Sonor Safari, it sounded like a Gretsch Catalina, which sounds like my poplar Pearl EXR exports. I'm sure there is a difference, but it could be negligible.

But I understand if you're wanting different for the sake of having different. I'd do the same thing. Those Mapex Meridians seem intriguing. However, I'd check the local music stores in the area. This time of year I went to both the Guitar Centers close to me, and both have used almost-pro-level kits that they're just blowing out. Imagine a upper-end PDP for $399, or even a vintage '70s Rogers Londoner 5 (without snare, of course) for $799. $500 might find you alot better kit for the money if you look around hard enough.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
I am totally satisfied with my Sonor Safari kit. It tunes perfectly and It produces a wonderful tone.
Since you like Sonor,
Perhaps you could find a used Sonor 3007 Studio or the like. (20" bass drum)

HipshotPercussion

Loving all these suggestions. The Catalinas obviously are cool, but I'm still thinking that if I buy a kit it'll be a Sonor Bop.

I'm also playing with another idea.

I had a lot of fun putting together the little Sonor Jungle Kit I mentioned in the O.P. So maybe I'll do something like that again. I've got 2 matching Tama Swingstar 12" and 13" toms, and I really love the deep tone I get out of them.. If I get a matching 16" Swingstar floor tom and another riser, I'll have a Tama Jungle Kit as a replacement without much outlay.

In fact, I just saw what I need - a Swingstar midnight blue 16" - on eBay. Only problem is that I think the price and shipping are a bit too high at $125 and $45. I've bought from the vendor before, so maybe I can get her to lower things a bit.

Whatcha think?

Cameo

Gold Member
There's a brand new Gretsch Catalina Rock for sale here in Sweden, with brand new heads and everything, only approximately 650 dollar.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
Loving all these suggestions. The Catalinas obviously are cool, but I'm still thinking that if I buy a kit it'll be a Sonor Bop.

I'm also playing with another idea.

I had a lot of fun putting together the little Sonor Jungle Kit I mentioned in the O.P. So maybe I'll do something like that again. I've got 2 matching Tama Swingstar 12" and 13" toms, and I really love the deep tone I get out of them.. If I get a matching 16" Swingstar floor tom and another riser, I'll have a Tama Jungle Kit as a replacement without much outlay.

In fact, I just saw what I need - a Swingstar midnight blue 16" - on eBay. Only problem is that I think the price and shipping are a bit too high at $125 and $45. I've bought from the vendor before, so maybe I can get her to lower things a bit.

Whatcha think?
I think that it is a good idea. Even if you have to pay a few too many bucks for the eBay drum it won't matter in the long term. It's there and it is the only thing that you need for the project.

Speaking of Tama, One of my kits is a Tama Stagestar with an 14x18 bass drum. I love that kit.
They are $500 new with hardware. There are still a few new ones left if you google them. They are discontinued.

HipshotPercussion

My homebrew jungle kit is boxed and waiting for FedEx, and I've diligently looked into everything suggested in this thread. You guys are awesome, especially in situations like this.

My wife, who is on the whole a better-than-good sport about my drums (see my posts about how she bought me a Black Magic snare for my birthday and let me talk her into keeping my double bass kit in the living room), isn't onboard with buying ANY new drums right now. Seems Christmas gifts are costing an arm and two legs this year.

Respecting her wishes (until I come up with a way around them), I went upstairs to the drum room and cobbled together a gumball kit that works for me soundwise, takes up only slightly more space than another jungle kit, and will cost me nothing:

What we've got here are 3 Tama Swingstar toms, 13x12, 13x11, 12x10 in midnight blue and misty chrome. One Sonor Force 22x16 bass in red wine, a vintage A Zildjian 18" crash with a good ride sound on a PDP cymbal stand, and my third favorite snare (Ludwig Phosphor Bronze, the only thing here worth any money). An aging but perfect Gibraltar hi-hat stand is still in the closet, and I figure I'll scavenge the hi-hat cymbals and bass drum pedal from my other stock.

The questions of the day, then, are, "How ridiculous IS this kit?" and "Will I be laughed out of the room?"

Bear in mind, please, that this would be used strictly for jazz/blues bar gigs and outside-the-house practices, where the main considerations are solid sound and not having to sweat scuffs/dings/theft.

Bear in mind, also, that I'm so old that I know several women my oldest daughter's age who already are grandmothers!

Oh, and that my wife took one look at this kit and burst laughter that's continuing even as I type this.

Grazi, y'all.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
My homebrew jungle kit is boxed and waiting for FedEx, and I've diligently looked into everything suggested in this thread. You guys are awesome, especially in situations like this.

My wife, who is on the whole a better-than-good sport about my drums (see my posts about how she bought me a Black Magic snare for my birthday and let me talk her into keeping my double bass kit in the living room), isn't onboard with buying ANY new drums right now. Seems Christmas gifts are costing an arm and two legs this year.

Respecting her wishes (until I come up with a way around them), I went upstairs to the drum room and cobbled together a gumball kit that works for me soundwise, takes up only slightly more space than another jungle kit, and will cost me nothing:

What we've got here are 3 Tama Swingstar toms, 13x12, 13x11, 12x10 in midnight blue and misty chrome. One Sonor Force 22x16 bass in red wine, a vintage A Zildjian 18" crash with a good ride sound on a PDP cymbal stand, and my third favorite snare (Ludwig Phosphor Bronze, the only thing here worth any money). An aging but perfect Gibraltar hi-hat stand is still in the closet, and I figure I'll scavenge the hi-hat cymbals and bass drum pedal from my other stock.

The questions of the day, then, are, "How ridiculous IS this kit?" and "Will I be laughed out of the room?"

Bear in mind, please, that this would be used strictly for jazz/blues bar gigs and outside-the-house practices, where the main considerations are solid sound and not having to sweat scuffs/dings/theft.

Bear in mind, also, that I'm so old that I know several women my oldest daughter's age who already are grandmothers!

Oh, and that my wife took one look at this kit and burst laughter that's continuing even as I type this.

Grazi, y'all.
That kit is crazy cool, I say. Ever since I saw the Ludwig Vistalite Jelly-bean kit in their '75 catalog, I've always wanted something that looked strange.

Then I had a teacher who told me that with my luck, I'll have a wedding gig, or a job with a big client who wanted a certain look and then I'd never work in this town AGAIN ;)

HipshotPercussion

That kit is crazy cool, I say. Ever since I saw the Ludwig Vistalite Jelly-bean kit in their '75 catalog, I've always wanted something that looked strange.
Thanks, Bo. Here's the final (?!) incarnation, with one less tom for easier traveling:

I ended up putting the heavy old hi-hat bottom on top because since it was an inch bigger I kept hitting it by accident anyway.

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
Imagine a upper-end PDP for $399, or even a vintage '70s Rogers Londoner 5 (without snare, of course) for $799. $500 might find you alot better kit for the money if you look around hard enough.
Hey, I saw that Rogers kit too. It was pretty nice.

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
Hey, c'mon! This one's FREE. I already had everything...even the Christmas stocking stick holder.

And I'm absolutely nuts for the sound of these toms.
Can't argue with that. It's all about the sound. I got this cool old Pearl set out of Craigslist for $40. They thought the drums were Remo because the heads said Remo. But I took a look, and couldn't find any identifying markings, but I knew they were vintage and I knew they were Japanese because the wood grains were vertical. I went and talked with a drum pro about them to find out that they were "Pearls". The sellers just wanted them gone, plus I got some B8 hi-hats and some cheap hardware to boot. But it was the sound of the toms that did it for me. I knew the drums were not firewood.

Anyway, it'll be the perfect gig kit. Tomorrow I start to fix them up. Can't wait to post pics.

Skyking

Not to start a war here but what makes those kits better than comparably priced new Sonor equipment? IMO they are not better, just different. The Ludwig's wrapped shells can be stinkers as I have seen so many come undone. I have a kit similar to the Gretch and they are a PAIN IN THE REAR when it comes to gigging and setting up. They weigh a ton because of the stands and the set up takes too much fiddlin! The Crush kit looks like something you'd find on Craig's List with real "Zilgian Simbols". I did like the Tama but that's not the point because in the end I can't really hear much difference when I bang on them at GC. To me the best gigging set is inexpensive, light weight, fast set up and well seasoned. Hip Shot I like your kit and compared to some of the monstrosities of complication I've seen posted it makes total sense to me. Really, it's how you play them that counts.

Last edited: