Suggestions for a certain tom sound

Groov-E

Silver Member
Those sound pretty natural to me, for a mastered recording. Those toms sound like maybe an 8" and 10". Tune the reso higher, tune the batter a bit lower. Should result in a softer, slightly wetter, round tone. My Catalina Maples do this sound very well.
8 and 10 must be pretty cool to have, but I am a one up two down obstinate. I have coated ambs over clear ambs, I'll try and tension the reso a bit higher then. I have yet to try clear double-ply heads on that particular kit, some experimentation seems to be in order. I'll keep you posted.

Thaks for the replies, I apreciate you take the time to answer me.

Have a great night!

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
Vinnie's tuning usually isn't anything special. It's mostly equal over and under I think, but for a time he was going tight on top. I mostly get his tom pitches when I play along to his live stuff. My 10 is tuned to E and then just 4ths. In some cases everything up to one whole tone lower or thereabouts. Sort of medium.

Gretsch drums and Vinnie touch to me, really. I use his sticks which has a slightly different barrell tip(the smaller John Riley sticks are the only ones I know of who have something similar) and can get his type of tone when I focused enough on it. He's a hard and very consistent hitter, too. Just clean consistent technique, but hard.

Vinnie mostly uses the very standard coated over clear Ambassadors, but I know on some dates with FPB he used a New Classic with G1s and a reverse dot on the snare. Guess that's what they had.

It's always just your standard 10,12,14,16,22 6-piece. He did some different things his second stint with Herbie with the Ludwig tubs, but...

Tommy_D

Platinum Member
Those sound pretty natural to me, for a mastered recording. Those toms sound like maybe an 8" and 10". I say that because they sound round, warm, fairly open, but still a bit wet (ie not a single ply batter head). They don't sound like there is a crazy amount of tension on the heads (ie. tuning a 12 to sound like a 10 and a 10 to sound like an 8). That would result in a much more choked and harsh sound.

My guess would be 8" and 10" with clear G2's (Emperors) over clear G1 (ambassadors). Tune the reso higher, tune the batter a bit lower. Should result in a softer, slightly wetter, round tone. My Catalina Maples do this sound very well.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
I'd have to say that, to my ears, it sounds like a non-coated single-ply head. It seems to have an attack without a ton of sustain (although there is some sustain which takes away the idea of single-headed toms). I'd probably look at getting something like the Aquarian Studio X and with thin resos and tuning them very close to the same pitch.

I'm sure there are people on here that will give a better answer than me, but this is my story and I'm sticking to it.

Groov-E

Silver Member
Hey guys !

I was listening to this Five Peace Band song and I have a question about Vinnie's tom sound :

https://youtu.be/ITplwMnv6W8

He seems to be using a two-up two-down setup, and his high toms sounds kind of "lazer-y» to my ear, sort of a "Teeee-Uuuuv" sound which I am shooting for.

I feel it is the tuning that creates the sound rather than compression or any audio effects. Even though I consider myself a fairly competent tuner, I cannot nail this one. I know the player has a lot to do with the sound, still I know I can at least try to get close.

Can anyone recommend a way to get there (heads, tuning, relation between batter and reso) ?

Thanks and have a great day !