Stupid cheap cymbals, thoughts?

Traditional Grip

I have been looking for a good low-volume ride cymbal for my new jazz setup.

I am looking to buy a Zildjian Breakbeat ride cymbal, but those are difficult to come by.

Anyways, browsing the intertubes the other day and I came across this potential gem on Amazon:

https://amzn.com/B00DDLWJFC

It's an 18" Flat Ride from what seems to be reputable company for only $110!

I'm not sure if I should spring for it or not. I sort of have my heart set on a Breakbeat, but for $110 I'm leaning towards taking a chance on the Soultone.

I'm hesitant to buy a cymbal without any sound bytes or YouTube videos or reviews, but once again, that price!

What are your guy's thoughts?

Spring for it?

Wait for a breakbeat?

Buy a different cymbal?

Thanks!

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
Honestly, I've never heard of a Zildjian Breakbeat cymbal. If it's something they sold with the Breakbeat kit, then it's probably a Zildjian ZBT cymbal, in which case I would recommend the Soultone cymbal.

Edit: I guess they do make a Breakbeat cymbal. So, I'm wrong, and I have no recommendation. Sorry, IDK. That is a stupid cheap price for that Flat Ride though.

Traditional Grip

Honestly, I've never heard of a Zildjian Breakbeat cymbal. If it's something they sold with the Breakbeat kit, then it's probably a Zildjian ZBT cymbal, in which case I would recommend the Soultone cymbal.

Edit: I guess they do make a Breakbeat cymbal. So, I'm wrong, and I have no recommendation. Sorry, IDK. That is a stupid cheap price for that Flat Ride though.
*Did* make a Breakbeat Cymbal.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums-percussion/zildjian-breakbeat-ride-cymbal

It is no longer made. Which is why it is difficult to come by. They also do not go for very cheap when they do come up for sale.

toddbishop

Platinum Member
Looks good to me-- that should serve your purpose. I don't think Soultone makes any junk. Probably a great cymbal, and hard to lose money on the deal if you don't like it. Hard to go too wrong with that.

I'd buy it quick, since there's only one left, and you've just advertised it on a popular drumming forum!

Traditional Grip

Looks good to me-- that should serve your purpose. I don't think Soultone makes any junk. Probably a great cymbal, and hard to lose money on the deal if you don't like it. Hard to go too wrong with that.

I'd buy it quick, since there's only one left, and you've just advertised it on a popular drumming forum!
It's mine!
Thank you!

toddbishop

Platinum Member
Good job-- it's weird, there just happen to be these occasional smoking deals on real, hand-hammered Turkish cymbals. I got an 18" Impression crash, which is basically Bosphorus, for ~$100 awhile back. Let us know how it turns out.

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
Amazon has a few of the Soultones at stupid cheap prices.

Example: This cymbal is only $102, but the 19" version is $281. There's a few cheap crashes too. Smokin' deal gold mine alert!!!

Adam Ray

On the subject of Amazon and their stupid deals, I have been buying cymbals on Amazon for some time now.

Some of the stupid deals I got were a Meinl Byzance 18" Traditional China for £130 when the RRP is £320, a Meinl MB20 20" Heavy Crash for £128 when the RRP is £430 and a Meinl Classics Custom 20" Medium Ride for £46 when the RRP is £216.

I don't think Amazon know what they are doing but I'm not complaining.

I use a this website to find items by the % discount:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/cheap-amazon-loopholes

I've also seen some really well discounted Turkish cymbals and UFIP cymbals. I don't know how well this works in other countries but in the UK I'm getting some amazing discounts.

M

Matt Bo Eder

You should contact SoulTone and tell them you love the cymbal. They'll send you a t-shirt and put you on their artist roster ;)

VitalTransformation

Silver Member
You should contact SoulTone and tell them you love the cymbal. They'll send you a t-shirt and put you on their artist roster ;)
They seem like a very welcoming crew ;) But seriously, I think all these cheap handmade Turkish brands all put out pretty awesome stuff, comparable to the "real deal" Zildjians and Sabians. I don't think anyone on a budget should have to make do with a dumbed down B8 pie from one of the two big Turkish/American brands when he or she can get a proper cymbal for basically the same price!

-----edited for clarity, slightly better spelling and much better English!

Traditional Grip

I got it in the mail (Gotta love Amazon Prime shipping).

And the verdict is......

It's not bad! Not a mind-blowing cymbal, but I can't imagine getting a better one for the price.

It's pretty low-volume, right in between dark and bright, decent crash sound, and works very well with rutes and brushes when low-volume playing.

I haven't had much of a chance to play it in my tiny apartment, but am hoping to practice/gig it soon (I need a freaking band and practice space though, so it might be sitting for a little bit).

I would highly recommend it for the price. I think there's a few other sites selling it for around $100, so go find one! If you're curious about flat rides or want to start piano-trio playing, get one before the price gets jacked-up.

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
I got it in the mail (Gotta love Amazon Prime shipping).

And the verdict is......

It's not bad! Not a mind-blowing cymbal, but I can't imagine getting a better one for the price.

It's pretty low-volume, right in between dark and bright, decent crash sound, and works very well with rutes and brushes when low-volume playing.

I haven't had much of a chance to play it in my tiny apartment, but am hoping to practice/gig it soon (I need a freaking band and practice space though, so it might be sitting for a little bit).

I would highly recommend it for the price. I think there's a few other sites selling it for around $100, so go find one! If you're curious about flat rides or want to start piano-trio playing, get one before the price gets jacked-up.
I had a Paiste Flat Ride when I was a kid. I just thought it was the weirdest thing. Never appreciated it as much as I should have because I was young and dumb. I think I ended up pawning it off. I think I would own one now.

Traditional Grip

They must have caught on because the cymbal is no longer available.
There was only one available when I started the thread, which is why I snatched it up.

I hate to brag, but I got a steal! I am seeing it for sale now on other sites for over $250.

For instance:
https://www.amazon.com/Soultone-Cymbals-CBRRA-FLRID18-Custom-Brilliant/dp/B00DDLQLCO
The only difference is that this one is "Brilliant" where mine isn't.

Oh what to do now? I think I might be able to sell it for a big profit, but I have been needing a quiet cymbal.

Decisions, decisions.

Traditional Grip

Another Amazon steal!

Just got a brand new Stagg 20" SH medium ride for...... wait for it...

$80!!!!!!

I am stoked! I don't even care if I don't care for it that much. I could probably sell it for a slight profit if I really wanted to. But I've been looking for an all-purpose ride and am hoping it fits the bill!

fac

I snatched a Meinl Generation-X 17" China Crash from Amazon for $160 after tax (regular price $260) and really like it. And just ordered a 10" Wuhan Splash for $25 among other goodies. They'll turn me into a cheap cymbal freak.

ineedaclutch

Platinum Member
I picked up a 20" Stagg YR Medium Ride and 14" hihats from a pawn shop while back. $30 for the pair and they looked new. I buy and sell a ton and am often asked for cymbals. I don't normally buy cheap cymbals, but I thought I would pick these up and throw them in with a kit to sweeten up the deal. I gave the hats away, but...
The ride is mine forever. It is wonderfully trashy with an awesome crash, and a sweet bell. It is usually set up to the right of my K Custom Dark Ride. It really sounds like a more aggressive version of the K. From what I understand they are B20. I would love a 22", but they aren't made. These types of cymbals are wildly different from one to the next, so I would advise testing them out in person.

Traditional Grip

This cymbal is freaking amazing! I've played Constantinoples before, and I have to say I prefer the Stagg. Killer bell, perfect mix of stick and wash, would use it for heavy metal and I think it could work in a piano trio as well with some small maple sticks.
I would never pay $200 for a cymbal, but if you would I'd recommend buying one!
Don't have good recording equipment at the moment.