Studio Job, is this scenario worth it?

topgun2021

Gold Member
I recently called a guy a friend recorded with to ask if he needed a sit in drummer. He sounded ecstatic and I get to meet with him/jam today. I mentioned how I knew him through my friend. He then immediately asks if I want to record drums for them. There is one problem:

Backflash:

End of school year: female friend kisses me hard before she leaves, says she doesn't know if we can see each other again (She transferred schools and one of the catalysts was a worship band incident on Super Bowl Sunday, would like to elaborate, you guys decide how much drama you want to read).

She comes up to where I live and meets up with the man who owns the studio, he recommends places for open mics, I play in one of the bars with them. She then talks to me about taking CD photos and recording with her. I had to leave for Vegas for a week when she did her first two days in the studio. Bummer, maybe next time.

I get back from Vegas, find out through social media and not her that someone else is doing her photos even though I told her to tell me if she needed me or not. Whatever, I wasn't going to charge her. Then she approaches me again about the studio session. This time I was offered money. I (most likely) would have declined.

Father's Day: I get a call to see if I could join her. We take her car with $5 between use a credit card of her's and no gas. Get to the gas station across from the bar, she gets ready to play. She tells to check to see if the card is not over drawn first. Whoops something went wrong, though we were fine. Turns out the card is invalid. After a stressful call to may parents where my mother would not read of my dad's card number without him present and other things, situation resolved. Get back to her tell her what happened she is pissed. Another side event was that she was kicked of the "paid musician" list by another musician who somehow got control of who played. She was all mad that I almost used her card EVEN THOUGH I TOLD HER THERE WAS NO WAY I COULD HAVE SO I USED MY DAD'S NO BIG DEAL.

She gets upset and we are going to leave. I take her guitar and she gets mad a how I held it, and mad that I dumped her water on the ground (Her car has zero cup holders). She gets mad, kicks me out of her car and off her demo CD.

I tell the organizer and her gets mad and calls her. She gets even more angry.

I contact later asking why she did that and she threatened a harassment suit again. Don't talk the rest of the summer and then recently she unblocked me from FB and accepted a FR and yet still doesn't want to talk to me after she said she would...

So anyways, she tells me that I am a heartless jerk and that she wants nothing to do with me over that night (her pov of the situation is different than mine, once again ou cna decide of you want the skinny). Threatens harassment again.

This week:

The producer asks me if I want to play on her CD, I respectfully say, it's not a good idea, but he is excited to meet me still. I am glad because she told him about me.

Good news is this guy seems nice and open to meeting me.

Options:

Should I take a risk and work for/with him?

If I play for my friend how can it get resolved? I tried yesterday with no success to make amends.

Should I try to record for her while she is out of state and surprise her?

Stay away from the studio?

Not record for her?

Try to get the guy to mediate?

Last edited:

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
I am so confused right now!
When a studio recording is being produced the people in charge hire the musicians and they issue a contract.
They then pay the musicians according to the agreement.
This sounds like a whacky deal.
I would run away.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Do us all a favor and walk away and never mention this again. Some people have to have drama in their lives, not me.

topgun2021

Gold Member
I am so confused right now!
When a studio recording is being produced the people in charge hire the musicians and they issue a contract.
They then pay the musicians according to the agreement.
This sounds like a whacky deal.
I would run away.
Well, the guy wants me to sit in and possibly be the "go to" guy for the people he has rounded up if they need a percussionist.

It is a start up production company called Labyrinth Productions.

I would assume a contract is involved.

The issue is, if I do play for this person who kicked me off their project and the producer thinks we make a good sound together/it makes sense for me to record for her.

The issue is, can we resolve our argument?

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
I have worked with a female singer for many years.
We have recorded and gigged together.
When she has a tune for me to record she books studio time.
I rehearse the tune with her and the band.
I go to the studio. I lay down the track/s.
I get paid. I say goodbye and I go home.

I have also gotten called by a studio a few times. I was hired to track some tunes.
I showed up and I did the job and I got paid. The person who was doing the recording listened to the studio samples and they picked me for the job.
I never heard of a drummer that is the "Go To Guy"