STRANGE wrist pain

Funky Crêpe

Silver Member
for the past 6 or 7 months my wrist has hurted when i bent it back or down. But after i play thr drums, it's okay, mabye it's because the muscles have warmed up and the pain stops. I can lift things fine, but it's when i do push ups of but lateral pressuer on my wrist. I broke my wrist about 7 years ago, that could be a reason.

Like now after helping put up the xmas tree, it doesn't hurt, but this morning it did. I could live without it being fixed, but i live for drums and it's hard to get REAL fluidity in my playing with the pain, i can still do moeller fast, but slow moving around the kit hitting cymbals can necome very ridgid because of it........???

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
All nerves pass connect to the spine and pass thru the neck.

So a pinched nerve in the neck area can lead to wrist pains. I'd have this myself, and it's not fun.

spantney

Funnily enough I broke my left arm and wrist about 13 or 14 years ago and VERY occassionly if im proper going for it on the kit I get a shooting pain come from my left wrist. Even after all these years I still notice a large strength difference between my right and left wrists.

Kelton Norris

This can be caused by anything. Maybe you arent relaxing enough when you play, but I would say wrist pain is more common in marching drum players than drumset. I had this problem while i was playing on a kevlar drum head a lot. I started to relax more, and the pain wasn't near as bad. My pain was a result of tension while I was playing, but you should have it checked out. It could surface to a more serious problem, if not properly cared for.

-Kelton

Funky Crêpe

Silver Member
All nerves pass connect to the spine and pass thru the neck.

So a pinched nerve in the neck area can lead to wrist pains. I'd have this myself, and it's not fun.
thats interesting, as my neck has been hurting on and off for some time! I have had back troubles because of the way i was sitting, I have changed now though.....
my crazy brother whos into accupuncture thinks that it;s just chi energy being blocked!......it's strange because right now it's fine, it's definatly not because i'm not realaxed enough anyway, i'd say i'll just have to get it checked out. my cousins a chyropractor ( i know i can't spell) he might just need to crack my neck into place!

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
thats interesting, as my neck has been hurting on and off for some time! I have had back troubles because of the way i was sitting, I have changed now though.....
my crazy brother whos into accupuncture thinks that it;s just chi energy being blocked!......it's strange because right now it's fine, it's definatly not because i'm not realaxed enough anyway, i'd say i'll just have to get it checked out. my cousins a chyropractor ( i know i can't spell) he might just need to crack my neck into place!
Could be.

I've injured my shoulder in same place at two different times in my life.

If it starts acting up, I get in wrist pain. I've had several chiropractors tell me my wrist pain is not carpel tunnel, or even a wrist problem, it's just the nerves from my wrists get pinched where my shoulder meets my neck causing me to feel pain in my wrists. It's very annoying!

Funky Crêpe

Silver Member
Could be.

I've injured my shoulder in same place at two different times in my life.

If it starts acting up, I get in wrist pain. I've had several chiropractors tell me my wrist pain is not carpel tunnel, or even a wrist problem, it's just the nerves from my wrists get pinched where my shoulder meets my neck causing me to feel pain in my wrists. It's very annoying!
the chyropractor said that he has treated a drummer with similar pain before, and he will show me something that will fix it. It might work for you aswell if i try and describe it to you?......maybe, it all depends on how complicated it is though!

Thor

that's almost like the pain I had last year when band marched at Disneyland. The tendons in my wrist and hand were tight and it hurt really bad when I played, let alone moved my hand around. It was really weird because it didn't bother me at practices, but on the day of, I had trouble playing.

Funky Crêpe

Silver Member
that's almost like the pain I had last year when band marched at Disneyland. The tendons in my wrist and hand were tight and it hurt really bad when I played, let alone moved my hand around. It was really weird because it didn't bother me at practices, but on the day of, I had trouble playing.
i realised that i was trying to use my wrist in french grip, something like two nerves or joints began working as one instead of seperatly. he just eased it out with a type of massage, and i can't use my right hand for drums for the next 2 weeks or so...:(