Still confused - Index finger

Lukey G

Alo Fellow Drummies,

I'm still confused about the index finger in my grip when drumming, I am finding at the moment the stick doesn't seem as controlled and it moves up and down the index finger, especially when playing slightly faster.

I am using an open German grip... as I want to be as loose as possible... obviously when the tempo gets too high I have to go into a closed version meaning the index finger goes underneath the stick for more control. (Like what happens when you use finger technique).

But I can't seem to establish the right place on my index finger where it's fully under control, usually it rests just above the first knuckle so the 2nd section of the finger (lower part). If it goes lower then I find my finger can't get round the stick enough when I have to go to the closed German grip or finger technique.

Where do you think I'm going wrong? It's not unplayable.. it's just moving a lot up and down that index/guide finger when I see people on youtube it don't seem to move up and down the index finger (referring to the stick). Is it case of just building control over time (I'm not a beginner though... been playing this kind of grip for like 9 months), Or maybe it's not naturally sitting in the right spot of the index finger?.

I always want to play loosely, hence why I stick with this grip, like I said obviously when I get to the faster rock tempos it goes into the closed German version or if I do finger technique. (I remain in German/American when I use fingers I might add).

WhoIsTony?

discussing these type of things in text is very rarely productive and often times leaves less experienced players more confused than when they originally asked the question

I recommend finding a good teacher either in person or via skype and discussing this when they can see what you are doing

there are multiple teachers here who offer skype lessons and can fix you up lickety split

Bill Bachman and Jeff W. Johnson to name a few

I recommend seeking them out and letting them take a look

good luck

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
I think maybe you've got it back to front... Open German grip uses the fingers more, which suits playing fast. Closed German grip has less control and has more of a loud playing application.

I've just switched to 'open' having played 'closed' since day one.. It's only been a month and the biggest challenge is getting the fulcrum right with the stick resting on the knuckle closest to the tip of my index finger.

I think open German grip has better control an that's why I'm swithing to it exclusively, at least until I can do everything that I could do with my old technique.

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
On the subject of "getting the fulcrum right", I found out something interesting a few months ago. I purchased some Zildjian Drumstick Grip Wax. The stuff worked good !

However, what the wax helped me discover was that while I am playing, I'm constantly moving the sticks in my hand to maintain the grip in the correct place, at the fulcrum point. I'm guessing we all do that.

By the way, I have found I like the coated sticks better than the wax.

Lukey G

I think maybe you've got it back to front... Open German grip uses the fingers more, which suits playing fast. Closed German grip has less control and has more of a loud playing application.

I've just switched to 'open' having played 'closed' since day one.. It's only been a month and the biggest challenge is getting the fulcrum right with the stick resting on the knuckle closest to the tip of my index finger.

I think open German grip has better control an that's why I'm swithing to it exclusively, at least until I can do everything that I could do with my old technique.
If I have it slightly lower so it's sitting on that knuckle part I can't get enough finger control when I need it cos I don't have enough finger under the stick (just the tip)... or that's my view point anyway.

That's why mine tends to rest slightly above that knuckle part.... does it matter too much? Or is it just the matter of really focussing on slow exercises and the control shall come.

Obviously it's a good loose grip but I don't think you'll get to a stage when you can play anything with it.. especially at higher bpm's 120/130 ish+ (roughly). Also when doing doubles you need to go to the other transition with the index finger under the stick for more control.

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
Well I'm not very good at it yet so there are better people to be asking. I have been looking out for it in drumming videos and there are plenty of guys that use open German even when doing fast rolls around the kit (gil sharone is one) and resting the stick on the crease where your knuckle bends is the way it's taught. So my approach is to put the work into makin that happen before I go asking people if I can do it differently.

I could also guess that the stick isn't happy to rest there because your fulcrum isn't right yet.. Mine isn't either but I think it will come if we focus on our technique.

I think you could probably speak to a teacher and/or do what I do - try to master one grip and then allow yourself to switch.

Lukey G

Well I'm not very good at it yet so there are better people to be asking. I have been looking out for it in drumming videos and there are plenty of guys that use open German even when doing fast rolls around the kit (gil sharone is one) and resting the stick on the crease where your knuckle bends is the way it's taught. So my approach is to put the work into makin that happen before I go asking people if I can do it differently.

I could also guess that the stick isn't happy to rest there because your fulcrum isn't right yet.. Mine isn't either but I think it will come if we focus on our technique.

I think you could probably speak to a teacher and/or do what I do - try to master one grip and then allow yourself to switch.
My problem with resting it there is that when I then transition to doing doubles therefore having to move my index finger to underneath the stick (or with finger control), just the tip of my finger doesn't seem enough control, also when making the transition back to the index finger guiding the stick again... it doesn't like to sit in that knuckle joint/crease for some reason.

But maybe that's just because what I am used to.... I am not sure.