Sticks (& projectiles)

Jaford-Jr

So i'm playing Yahweh and i'm just htitin on the symbols and all of a sudden *fling* my stick goes flying (4x)... (earlier) playing with a 5a & 5b stick hands wet and losing grip with every hit... how can i prevent this from happening

is it good to use diffrent type sticks ex. 5A & HD4 or should you use same type

Coldhardsteel

Gold Member
Holding onto your sticks isn't so much a matter of what sticks you're using as it is a matter of having a good grip. That doesn't mean that you should start gripping them harder, it just means that you're probably playing too loosely. Checking your fulcrum will probably help.

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
Last weekend I was checking out the Danny Carey signature sticks from VF. They have a nice taper (concave) on them where you hold the sticks. It's slight, but it's supposed to help you hold on to them. They are rather larger sticks and they felt good, but I opted for the Zildjian 5A's because the sticks were just too heavy for my taste, plus I got a "free" Zildjian pint glass with the 3 pair bundle. Sweet!

Jaford-Jr

Holding onto your sticks isn't so much a matter of what sticks you're using as it is a matter of having a good grip. That doesn't mean that you should start gripping them harder, it just means that you're probably playing too loosely. Checking your fulcrum will probably help.
whats a fulcrum & the sticks were a different question

Coldhardsteel

Gold Member
whats a fulcrum & the sticks were a different question
The fulcrum is the part of the grip you have on the stick made by your index finger and your thumb. It's a balancing point, and generally gravitates towards about a third of the way up the stick, maybe more or less. I've found that a weak fulcrum tends to be the cause of stick-drops.

Looking at your original post, it doesn't matter what sticks you use, they all have the same basic anatomy. If you want to get detailed, then I guess you could consider balance and feel, but those aren't quite as important.

tamadrm

Platinum Member
Use grip tape,or try gloves,as you may be one of those people that sweat more than the general population,and you may need a little extra help in hanging on to your sticks.FYI....its Cymbals,not symbols.;)

Steve B

choki

I'd get with a teacher on work on your grip/technique. If you're dropping sticks that often, the problem isn't with the stick.

A

audiotech

I just change out my sticks before they get too slippery from sweat. I have several pairs that are held by Pro Mark stick holders situated around the kit. There are also some where the shaft of the sticks are dipped, by both Vic Firth and Zildjian, to add an extra bit of friction between the sticks and your fingers.

Dennis

Skyking

I found that tennis racket wrap on the sticks works wonders for me. I tried all of the other products including Zildjian stick wax. IMO the racket wrap is the best. Also I found that if I got to deep into the music (read: not paying attention) my sticks would likely take a road trip across state lines. Also never try to play Wipe Out wth skeleton costume gloves on...you're just asking for a new topper on your worst moment list.

Smoke

Silver Member
+1 on nude (sanded) sticks.

If I can't get sticks naked, I'll sand them lightly with 150 (or 220) grit sand paper and try them.

Sometimes a VERY light coat of boiled linseed or tung oil will help. Let it dry overnight. The oil never completely dries like a varnish, and instead of being oily, the finish is kind of sticky. Plus, you can always sand it back off if you don't like it.

I generally have dry hands, so slippery sticks aren't a huge problem for me.