Steve Miller - the stake?

ronyd

Silver Member
Tune is very similar to Rocky Mountain way. Wondering if to play "the stake" as swung (shuffle) or 12/8 or just straight without loosing the groove as in Rocky Mountain?

Last edited:

ronyd

Silver Member
pretty sure it's 6/8 (or 12/8)
nice avator Richard. Bernard is a great person. Hung with him a few times and really felt have a friend relationship with him.

Funny and precious story. Bernard visits his relatives time to time somewhere in Mass. He usually calls around to see if he can play local gigs. So He plays with local jazz band at the beach club bar here in Newport RI. Not many people there, just having some dinner and drinks thinking they are listening to the local band as usual, and not knowing Bernard will be at the helm. sure enough most don't even know they are watching one of the greats of our time. I park my car and Bernard is just pulling in with his wife. Bernard greets me with open arms. I drag in his box of goodies. So I tell him that I'm having trouble getting the shuffle up to tempo. He looks at me, smiles and says Why??? ummmmm because it's a groove that takes along time to perfect maybe. He says call me anything, here's my cell and we'll straighten that situation out. PRICELESS, well not exactly at $200/hr. LOL

check out his book: let the drums speak. nice read and inspriring. Rough childhood to say the least...