Stepping outside the box :)

keep it simple

Platinum Member
Well done and congratulations my dear friend :)
Thanks Henri :)

This is a real step into the unknown for me. I've been thinking about some of the songs & what I can do with them. TBH, I'm more lost on it than before I thought about it. I guess I'll just have to see how the first rehearsal goes & take it from there.

rotundra

I would do it

Chemistry is impossible to predict, meaning some things just need to be tried before you "know" its not a fit

Anon La Ply

Renegade
Yeah, that live version kicks serious arse. Especially the last twenty seconds or so.

Steve Gadd is spot on. I'm sure it's not a hint!
I found the whole thing excellent - fantastic band sound. I missed out on Radiohead - I had little to do with music during their heyday. Some catching up to do. Knowing my tastes, which albums would you recommend?

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Duncan. We're jamming today so I can ask him if it was a hint, though I may not get a serious answer :)

keep it simple

Platinum Member
So listen to yourself and go with the flow, and dont focus on lifes rocks !!

cheers mate
F.
An excellent analogy, & one I already follow :)

It's about working out which parts of the song are the core and which parts are extraneous detail. That can be a real art. I'm glad to hear that's a skill you've got Andy, it's not an easy one!
I'm not sure I have such skills generally. Perhaps I happen on them by chance once in a while :) The Radiohead examples you gave show this at work for sure. As musicians, we tend to micro examine, especially our own performance parts, but of course, the general audience couldn't give a s(&^t what I play. I believe accessibility is the key, & that means concentrating on the key song elements. Live, I believe embellishment, drama, & a sense of journey are best achieved through dynamics rather than adding detail/extraneous musician ego stroking fluff.

BacteriumFendYoke

Platinum Member
Making those musical choices is such a huge part of being a well-rounded musician. The ability to strip things back really marks the men from the boys (as it were, no sexism implied) when it comes to working with artists that make heavy use of electronics or have dense arrangements.

It used to be an exercise for me. I've always enjoyed playing on my own (on other instruments, at least) and I spent a long time working out how to re-arrange pieces for solo instruments so that the musical 'essence' was there without the extended arrangements. I can't pretend to have been particularly good at it but it gave me an appreciation for how difficult it can be to make decisive musical choices.

Some bands are really good at taking a studio-produced product and transferring it to a live setting by completely re-arranging or altering the piece. Without sounding too obsessive, I always felt Radiohead were really good at this - especially around the 'Kid A' era (when most of the instrumentation was electronic).

Take this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogLycHY_4nU&list=RDogLycHY_4nU

And this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COUaNmm53VA

This is probably the least re-arranged piece from that era. There are plenty of others that are far more mangled live.

It's about working out which parts of the song are the core and which parts are extraneous detail. That can be a real art. I'm glad to hear that's a skill you've got Andy, it's not an easy one!

wombat

I havent read all the replies but the sense I get is do it if you want to and YOU HAVE TIME.

I think pretty much the whole board doesnt want you to burn yourself out Andy

However playing is a different mindset to innovating / building ( I mean innovating construction wise not playing)

I am a big believer in listening to your inner voice, what is it telling you ?

Forget your "thoughts" for awhile and listen to your feelings (a lot of brain power is "subconcious rather than concious thought)

Is it fear, but exitement ? Fear plus a sense somethings not right ? Perhaps just a sense that whenever you are about to decide something stops you.

Having a sense of anxiety is normal, as well as thoughts of "will I be any good ?" "will I fit in" etc.

Thing is if they want you you are good enough regardless of how seld deprecating you are !!

But if you FEEL somethings not right, that you struggle to commit, or stop at making a decision..... well you dont need to know WHY you feel that way, its fine that you just do.

If your feelings say yes then give it a whirl and see where it takes you, if something within is holding you back then I would say no....and you dont owe anyone an explanation as to why.... not the band, not us, not even yourself !! Trust your inner sense for your answer.

Whatever you do will be the right thing..... it may be though that the outcome is not what you expect it to be !! It might be something totally left of field that comes your way as a result of your choice !!

My kayacking coach said to me..... in a rapid focus on the flow of the water and go with it, for one it uses less energy than fighting the current, and also if you focus on the rocks you will most certainly hit the rocks.

So listen to yourself and go with the flow, and dont focus on lifes rocks !!

cheers mate
F.

keep it simple

Platinum Member
Congrats Andy....she's awesome.I can't believe I didn"t see this when you first posted it.I have a feeling it's going to be great gig.She seems like a real talanted lady.Best of luck my friend.

Steve B
Thanks Steve. I smell a tough ride on this gig, but with an EP in the pipeline, it'll be interesting to get back to original material, even if it is way off my normal path. We'll see :)

which kit do you bring? prog kit??
Good question. Don't know. I'll start with a 4 piece & see how it unfolds.

Ah, you ARE doing it! I'm really glad, I could tell you wanted to :D
Still not sure Madge, but you know me - anything for an easy life ;)

That's bloomin' marvellous mate!
Thanks Duncan :)

Guys, I thought you might find this of interest: Why did Andy get the gig? Well, I had a good conversation with Ria yesterday, & apparently, although they were happy with my playing (as they were with other auditioning players too), it was my willingness to strip things back & propose something different rather than playing verbatim that sealed the deal. In other words, my musical choices. Ria said "you were happy to take a lead, whereas the others were looking for direction". now, I'm not suggesting for one minute that anyone takes that as an audition strategy - every audition is different- but it does show that there's never a textbook approach to these things, & you never know what the artist is truly looking for.

tamadrm

Platinum Member
Congrats Andy....she's awesome.I can't believe I didn"t see this when you first posted it.I have a feeling it's going to be great gig.She seems like a real talanted lady.Best of luck my friend.

Steve B

keep it simple

Platinum Member
SUPER ! .............................

Congrats!
Thanks Guys - not sure what I'm into yet :)

How many songs do you need to have down? How long is your set?
Only 10 songs to reconstruct & get right. Stripped out trio, so nowhere to hide, & arrangements/parts will be key.

Cool. Congrats. So its to be called "Middle Farm..Cream"?
That is so open to multiple interpretation it's untrue. As it's a solo act, it's simply the name of the artist. I'm a backing musician.