Step up from Exports

scoreking81

i need a reccomendation for a good kit in replacement of my exports, i need at least 4 toms, and a snare that has a good crack, i have been considering :

custom classic maple 6 piece
(used)pearl MLX 6 piece (anyone wanna tell me what the hell mlx is?) it's maple
(used) yamaha stage custom 6 piece
gretsch cats

i was gonna get a tour custom for 500 bucks but it got sold

nicotine25

Gretsch Catalinas...Either the birch or the maple....The new Cat birch's look amazing I bet they sound pretty killer as well!...I have the old ones and they are amazing. When my band recorded in Austin Tx, the engineer asked me to leave my drums set up for 4 weeks so he could use them for other sessions, (that and he was afraid to move them cause he didn't want to loose the sound he got from 'em)..he said they were the best drums he had ever recorded, and you can check his credentials at www.ramblecreek.com and hear my drums recorded at www.myspace.com/corbywhiteband

thechief7676

What's your budget? Shell pack w/ or w/o hardware?

I upgraded from my old exports to a Sonor Force 3007 last year. 8, 10, 12, toms, and 14, and 16" floor toms. I got my shell pack for $649 and added the 14" FT a few months ago off ebay,

scoreking81

Gretsch Catalinas...Either the birch or the maple....The new Cat birch's look amazing I bet they sound pretty killer as well!...I have the old ones and they are amazing. When my band recorded in Austin Tx, the engineer asked me to leave my drums set up for 4 weeks so he could use them for other sessions, (that and he was afraid to move them cause he didn't want to loose the sound he got from 'em)..he said they were the best drums he had ever recorded, and you can check his credentials at www.ramblecreek.com and hear my drums recorded at www.myspace.com/corbywhiteband
yeah well on forums and in my drum teachers opinion cat maples are only a small step up from exports and are the exact same thing as custom classics

scoreking81

What's your budget? Shell pack w/ or w/o hardware?

I upgraded from my old exports to a Sonor Force 3007 last year. 8, 10, 12, toms, and 14, and 16" floor toms. I got my shell pack for $649 and added the 14" FT a few months ago off ebay,
i can maybe get up to 1400 bucks, also is it possible to just get toms for the sonor? cuz i wanna keep my old export kicks so i can use my 2 single pedals instead of selling my singles and buying a double.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
yeah well on forums and in my drum teachers opinion cat maples are only a small step up from exports and are the exact same thing as custom classics
With the greatest respect to the forums you've read....AND your drum teacher.....if you are comparing early 90's Exports to the current range of Cat Maples......then it is NONSENSE!!!

I can only speak from my own experience, but if you are truely A/B-ing the earlier model exports with the current Cat maples, then there is daylight between the two. I used to own exports (played them for nearly 15 years) and recently bought the Cat's. IMHO, there's little comparrison between the two. I'm not saying the Cat's are the greatest and you should buy them. But I am saying they are streets ahead of the early exports. If Pearl improved their export lines over the years then this may negate my argument. But, from my personal experience, and the age of the kits is taken into consideration.......your info is misleading.

i can maybe get up to 1400 bucks, also is it possible to just get toms for the sonor? cuz i wanna keep my old export kicks so i can use my 2 single pedals instead of selling my singles and buying a double.
If this is the case, why not just keep the exports? It seems silly to swap out intermediate toms, but keep the intermediate kick drums. IMHO, it's better to either keep the kit you have or swap out the whole thing. US$1400 will get you a good set of drums mate......use it wisely.