Steely Dan

mikyok

Platinum Member
Wow, I couldn't disagree more! In fact, as much as I love Keith Carlock, I think Shannon has the feel. I thought he was fantastic with Toto. Just goes to show, everybody hears things differently.

Back on topic: I've been lucky enough to see Keith a few times with Steely Dan. He's a great player, and his left foot is inspirational. But, I agree with Drummer-Russ, when I hear Peg, I'm anticipating Marotta... When I hear Aja, I want to hear Gadd... That said, I'll see Steely Dan any opportunity I can get and with any drummer they pick!

Hard to pick just one favorite drum part, but I love Jeff's playing on Gaucho. I just love the feel he has in every part of the song. I like your pick of Your Gold Teeth 2, too.
Re: Toto, he didn't have the feel of Jeff or the precision of Simon who is getting better with age. The live in Poland gig has phenomenal drumming. But that's just my 2 cents worth.

Back on topic it would be cool if they did a gig with all the surviving drummers doing their parts. Would never happen though!

I would give body parts to see Bernard Purdie, even more for a clinic. He could 'splain' away all day.

I was lucky enough to see Steve Gadd with James Taylor a couple of years back and spent 2 hours watching Gadd even though I'm a massive JT fan. The guy has such a unique feel and sound even though I don't think he got out of neutral that night. Check his drumming out on the October Road album, all kinds of tasteful!

moxman

Silver Member
I have to admit I have all the records and some CDs but still prefer the sound of the vinyl. The production on most of their recorded material is perfection personified..

as to my favorite drum tracks I still like 'Reelin' in the Years' as it was the first song I heard by them and it blew me away. Other than that there's just too much to choose from... it's all good; from Purdie to Porcarro to Gadd to Marotta to Carlock etc.

G

gf2564

Love Steely Dan. Love the drumming on all the records - they knew how to pick 'em.

Can't say I've ever found the production to hamper my enjoyment of the drum tracks...it's pre-80's, so the drums sound like drums.

The massive gated snare of the 80's changed how we hear drums forever, so to a younger listener, I can understand how the production on most 70's records seems lacking. Never seemed that way to me, but again, I was around when most of those records were in radio rotation, so the sound is ingrained. I love how the Steely Dan records sound. 'Peg' will always be a big favorite.
I absolutely agree about Steely Dan in general and the way the drums were mixed specifically; always sounded perfect for the music to me! It is hard for me to pick a favorite......so many to choose from!