Starting to teach.

I have always had my students spend 15 minutes on the pad with me and then we spend 15 minutes on the drumset. No matter how long they have been taking lessons with me. Whether it's the first lesson or 500th.
I give them excercises that I wrote and the rudiments for the first few lessons, then I have them get Stick Control by George Stone and Realistic Rock by Appice.

Hiya,

When I first started teaching, I went heavily into the rudiments, reading, techniques...which is all great stuff. But for most beginners, proved to be a little too much.

Now I focus on getting the beginners working on some common drum beats and fills, and then spend the rest of the lesson applying some of them to their favourite music/bands.

That's how I started playing drums...along to music! :)

I have loads of video lesson ideas on my website if you're interested...

Rob

Hiya,

When I first started teaching, I went heavily into the rudiments, reading, techniques...which is all great stuff. But for most beginners, proved to be a little too much.

Now I focus on getting the beginners working on some common drum beats and fills, and then spend the rest of the lesson applying some of them to their favourite music/bands.

That's how I started playing drums...along to music! :)

I have loads of video lesson ideas on my website if you're interested...

Rob

Rob---

Just want to say I love your website. You go a great job of breaking down songs and fills.

Paul

I am a student and not a teacher (drums that is) but I can tell you one thing to NOT do when you have a student. Don't play drums the entire time, showing off your chops. I had a teacher once that seemed to love to hear himself play. He would play what was to me a complicated beat and then say - ok try that when you get home and then move on to something else w/o letting me see if I could get it.

JM

I am a student and not a teacher (drums that is) but I can tell you one thing to NOT do when you have a student. Don't play drums the entire time, showing off your chops. I had a teacher once that seemed to love to hear himself play. He would play what was to me a complicated beat and then say - ok try that when you get home and then move on to something else w/o letting me see if I could get it.

JM

I agree, I warm up with them on the pad and then I put my sticks in my pocket. I rarely sit at the drumset, and I have 2 sets in the room when teaching. The lessons are about the student, not the teacher, sometimes seeing the teacher wail can be inspiring, and sometimes it can be discouraging and embarrassing for the student. When they get stuck I help them through it at their speed, once in a while I show them something at my speed, but rarely.

Back