Start reading

smurd

Hi folks.
long story short - i want to apply to the drummer's collective in spring 2012. so i'm practising very much and preparing myself. but there is one thing i'm pretty bad at...reading!
so i just want to ask if you guys know books / dvds etc. to start improving my reading skills. not only full notations but also chart reading

Have to add, that i'm able to read and get into that but takes me quite a while. so i'm not an absolute beginner.

any suggestions?

cheers,
felix.

double_G

Silver Member
Steve Fidyk's "inside the big band drum chart" book looks great, but i just don't have it (yet): http://www.stevefidyk.com/HTML/Methods_and_Product.html

i would get the Steve Houghton big band, anthology and soloist books and read down a few charts each day (seriously). reading something every day will give you an big advantage in the audition / ensemble placement. then Igoe's GE 2.0 book has charts/MP3s, but i found that i spent more time getting the groove down before i played thru the tune w/ the drum chart. so maybe put that on the back-burner.

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
Trust me, "reading" drum notation is really pretty easy. Once you get the basics, you can stumble through most stuff. To be able to "sight read" isn't as easy, but even that just comes with practice.

One thing that helps is to read grooves from a book, but don't read a section then play it, play each quarter or 1/8 or whatever time it's in as you read it. Start slow.

jeffwj

Platinum Member
Steve Fidyk's "inside the big band drum chart" book looks great, but i just don't have it (yet): http://www.stevefidyk.com/HTML/Methods_and_Product.html

i would get the Steve Houghton big band, anthology and soloist books and read down a few charts each day (seriously). reading something every day will give you an big advantage in the audition / ensemble placement. then Igoe's GE 2.0 book has charts/MP3s, but i found that i spent more time getting the groove down before i played thru the tune w/ the drum chart. so maybe put that on the back-burner.
Great suggestions. Steve Fidyk also has a new book that starts out a bit easier than his Inside the Big Band Drum Chart book. It would be a great way to work up to Inside the BB and Houghton's Anthology. Here is the link.

At First Sight - http://www.steveweissmusic.com/product/big-band-drumming-at-first-sight-steve-fidyk/drum-set-methods-cd

At First Sight - Audio Example

Jeff

toddbishop

Platinum Member
Another vote for the Houghton books- both the reading anthology and the studio/big band drumming book. Also a snare drum book would be a good idea- it sounds like Mo Goldenberg's Snare Drum for Beginners would be good for you- it starts very basic, but rapidly accelerates in difficulty.

mxo721

I was a music major in college and the best investment I ever made ( and it's cheap) flash cards, cost about $ 5.00 for a set, the have time/key signatures on the front, and the answers on the back, so you can have a non-music reader hold them up, and quiz you. we crammed with those for hours. I knew the circle of 5ths both sides my first month in college, and all key sigs.

Boomka

Platinum Member
I wouldn't forget Groove Essentials, either. The nice thing there is that it all starts out very simply, with grooves that anyone who's been playing awhile can probably cope with. So being, they can focus on the reading aspect a little more. None of the charts are over the top complex, but all the necessary stuff is in there. Moreover, you get a chance to play them with a band AND see Tommy do it, too, so you get an idea about chart interpretation from a top-notch guy.

burn-4

Dave hassell graded course for drum kit or something

fantastic books- gives a decent variety of styles as well! can't recommend them enough