Spreading the Drumming Love

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Spreading the Drumming love-yes that's the ticket. I've always encouraged the love of drumming in our youth with an interest-giving my old drums and cymbals to those starting and always point them to Drummerworld as a great resource. Tried to get my kids interested but not interested. Well now my eldest daughter and her husband are buying a house in Atlanta, Ga-and my son-in-law has an interest in drumming. He now has a huge basement man-cave so I offered him my six piece Pearl Vision kit-10, 12, 14, 16 in toms 22 bass-it is just sitting in a closet now. He is stoked! Though I do have an ulterior motive cause with the purchase of a home they now plan to have kids-so if not my son-in-law perhaps grandkids will take an interest with a kit lying around -ooaahahh. My middle daughter's fiance' is already a drummer but right now lives in a small studio apartment cause he's working and paying for his education at SCAD in Atlanta-he is already working at an Art gallery and selling his own art that is paying for his art degree (scratch my head). So I'm giving him this tiny Pearl Rhythm traveler POD kit that has mesh heads for silent playing at his little apartment-he's so excited. That leaves me with my Sonor Safari kit which is fine for now, and I have a nice Artisan Sonor snare. This is also kind of a last dance and pairing down my kits as I'm still battling a progressive hearing loss-my ENT has no clue why. Even with my hearing aids I can't tell what people are saying of late-just getting worse over time. Freaking me out cause I feel socially isolated (as recent parties at my home I couldn't understand but about half of what was said), and then too I logically know I should probably quit drumming cause it can't be helping. But dang it's depressing enough to lose my hearing so I have to lose drums too-heck no says the devil on my shoulder who says keep the Safari kit. There are clinical trials of a drug injected into the cochlea that will regenerate hair cells that sounds promising though. Lots of drummers seem to mitigate hearing loss and tinnitus it seems-so no reason to quit seems a good argument to me. Gosh I need to hurry and save up to buy another drum kit since I'm down to practically nothing. LOL. Gosh thanks for listening ladies and gents and I feel so much better now after venting (so therapeutic)-and I'll take your advice and keep on drumming-and buy a new kit-just a nice high end one this time ;) Great advice.

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
I completely understand the bug bite of drumming that never can be cured. Awesome that you gave him the kit and having a dedicated place to practice in is a huge bonus .
Along with that you've discussed hearing protection, yes?

Magenta

Platinum Member
That's a lovely thing to do and I'm sure your daughters' partners are chuffed to bits :)

I really hope your hearing loss can be arrested/mitigated. Isolated is exactly the word, and it can't be pleasant at all.

Save up for a Guru - you know you deserve one!

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Thanks Jeremy-hearing protection will definitely need to be covered-thanks for the reminder too.
Yes Magenta I'm digging that Guru notion too so I am saving up for a one (which the choices keep me pondering)-since I heard Andy play the Walnut beast I lovingly call "Thor" I've been hankering for a similar kit-I figure even if I'm totally deaf I'll be able to feel the sonic boom and play by "feel".

bonerpizza

Silver Member
I'm sorry for your hearing issues and hopefully you make a turn for the better, AC/DC's "former" singer Brian Johnson might be making a return to the band thanks to In Ears made by Asius Technologies called the ADEL Control, they are "the only earbuds in the world to utilize our second eardrum invention that won’t damage your ears yet deliver amazing sound because we allow the ear to work the way nature intended."

Here's a link if you're interested:
https://asiustechnologies.com/product/ADEL-Control

Giving away all your drums has got to be a difficult situation, but at least you passed them on to people that will use them and appreciate them as much as you have over the years!!

Bonzo_CR

Silver Member
GA, you really are spreading the drumming love! It's nice when a kit goes to a good home and gets someone playing. Paying it forward for sure.

I hope you get some progress with the hearing problems.

drummer-russ

Gold Member
"There are clinical trials of a drug injected into the cochlea that will regenerate hair cells that sounds promising though."

Very interested in this. My granddaughter was born with profound hearing loss in both ears. Come to find that the hairs never grew due to too much amniotic fluid. She has since had cochlear implant surgery and is doing well.

Often that surgery means any chance at natural hearing is eliminated. However in her case the surgery did not destroy that possibility. I have been hopeful that in her lifetime stem cell research might help but I have to look into this. Any info you have already discovered would be appreciated.

Oh and good luck with your hearing!

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Bonerpizza thanks for the info man-I'll check it out.
Thanks BonzoCR it does make me feel good to see others get excited about drumming.
So sorry Drummer-russ to hear of your granddaughter's hearing issues-I think some of mine is congenital as my Mom and all her siblings had/have hearing problems and all had radical mastoidectomies. My brothers all have hearing problems too. Here is a nice review of current research in the area- http://www.the-scientist.com/?articles.view/articleNo/43819/title/Hearing-Help/
The researcher Brigande has progressive hearing loss himself so his research is close to his heart.

drummer-russ

Gold Member
Thank you for the article. I will read it and pass it along to my family. Fortunately my granddaughter is doing very well and is attends The Moog Center for Deaf Education and they work wonders. She actually scores higher in many areas than her hearing peers. It is quite a remarkable program!

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
I think you are ready for a Guru, sir.

I don't have anybody to spread any drumming love too. I tried giving my nephew an Ace PDP one year, but he never took to it, or the Epi Les Paul & Marshall practice amp. More power to you if you're paying forward, bruvs.