Spray Painting Drums?

JackDrummerH_95

I'm thinking of buying some black spray paint to paint my drums hoops, just to make it look cool.

I've got an awful kit, but I've made it half decent. It's a Boston kit, I bought it for £100 second hand. You get Boston kits from Argos, so it speaks for itself how bad it is. Anyway, I've replaced the heads and cymbals so its a good sounding kit now.

It's a all black kit but the hoops which are silver, But I think my snare would look really nice with black hoops too? I would take the hoops off and spray them black, but I'm not too sure if I should spray the lugs as well?

Oh, then I would spray a gloss over it to give it that shine.

Cheers!

DA-Drummer

I don't think spraypainting would work very well.

Because you are painting over chrome. And that woulnd't stick at all. Especially the snare, if you do rimsthots the spray paint would fall off easily. And than it will look like a real mess. And the lugs are harder to paint well, because you turn them all the time with a drum key.

If you really want a nice result, you will have to powder coat them, or plate them.

TColumbia37

Silver Member
Right. Powder coat/plating or nothing. Unless it's a part that doesn't get really any attention, like bass drum spurs, or something similar, don't spray paint it. The paint doesn't stick to chrome very well, and chips off really easily. I did this with a pair of bass drum spurs, actually. I had good results, but these were brand new spurs, direct from the factory. The paint still chips very easily, so I have to be really careful with that kick drum. I also spray painted a lug, which was much older than the spurs. The paint didn't take well at all, and also chips very easily. That paint would come off of a hoop so quickly, you wouldn't even have the chance to enjoy it.

Last edited:

Smoke

Silver Member
Lots of stuff on the interweb about painting over chrome. Most processes involve sanding and a self-etching primer before a top-coat. Give it a Google and see if you're up for it.

But I'd have to agree - rim-shots are going to take a toll on any painted finish. Might be a pain to have to re-paint your top rim every week or so...

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
You can paint the chrome with oil based spray paint. But it won't work on any surface that you might have to rub, touch, hit or play on.

I did it here on the hoops, but it was on a surface that would normally never be touched.

Here is the full set.

TColumbia37

Silver Member
You can paint the chrome with oil based spray paint. But it won't work on any surface that you might have to rub, touch, hit or play on.

I did it here on the hoops, but it was on a surface that would normally never be touched.

Here is the full set.

Your pictures aren't showing up. I'd like to see the results

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
You can also Duracoat, as opposed to powder coat or plate. Duracoat is what modern firearms are coated with. It doesn't chip, peel, or scratch, and is impervious to extreme heat and cold, as well as salt water. Rimshots, no problem. Drop the drum, no problem. Run it over with a tank, no problem (for the finish). You can get it in over 200 colors, and there is a Shake and Spray kit that comes with everything you need to apply it for $35.

Check it out: http://www.lauerweaponry.com/

longgun

Gold Member
You can also Duracoat, as opposed to powder coat or plate. Duracoat is what modern firearms are coated with. It doesn't chip, peel, or scratch, and is impervious to extreme heat and cold, as well as salt water. Rimshots, no problem. Drop the drum, no problem. Run it over with a tank, no problem (for the finish). You can get it in over 200 colors, and there is a Shake and Spray kit that comes with everything you need to apply it for $35.

Check it out: http://www.lauerweaponry.com/
+1 on the duracoat................a friend of mine duracoated my Brembos on my car.....woked great. About a week later he did one of my acros in a camo pattern...............rims and all.............never chipped off through some hard playing