Spaun Drums new Idea, A shell within a shell...

crdirtRider856

Silver Member
Has anyone seen this thing?

On first site, I thought this was just some "really" good airbrushing on the shells... Turns out it really is what it looks like. A shell that holds all the hardware, with a "true" shell underneath.

I ve looked up their site, and havent found any useful info...but I cant go by "reviews" or media-type write ups. I d love to know what this thing looks like up close, and more-how it sounds.

I ve seen alot of gimmicks and the like, but has anyone actually seen these drums or played them? I m pretty damn curious! Someone let me know, please...

T

trkdrmr

Premier beat them to the idea some 30 years ago.

Premier resonator drums.

Wavelength

Platinum Member
It's not a new idea. Back in the 70's, Premier started building double shelled Resonators using the same idea. Apparently, the ingenious shell configuration gave a measurable amount of volume increase. The series was discontinued in the beginning of the 90's.

crdirtRider856

Silver Member
OK, I think I remember these previous attempts...I guess the "new" look threw me off. The idea sounded familiar, but the look of these Spaun drums was kind of radical looking. They do look pretty damn cool though, ya know? Guess we ll see how they fare.

harryconway

Platinum Member
And those Premier Resonators sounded really great, too. I knew a cat who had a set. Unfortunately, like the Peavey Radial Pro and the Remo Acousticon shelled drums, most drummers follow the path "well travelled", so sales of Resonators, here in the US, less than spectacular.

Drumsword

Pioneer Member
I saw pics of the new spaun's somewhere recently, they look like swiss cheese right? Like a green outer shell with giant holes and a red inner shell to contrast?

diosdude

Silver Member
This just in: Wal-mart is building a wal-mart INSIDE A WAL-MART!!!!!!

iT boGgLEs tHa MiND!!!

crdirtRider856

Silver Member
This just in: Wal-mart is building a wal-mart INSIDE A WAL-MART!!!!!!

iT boGgLEs tHa MiND!!!
OK, OK...Sorry, from the deepest depths of my blackened heart. Truly...deeply...regretful...: P

Yes, the idea has been around, but the new Spaun/version has a really different/interesting look. So its a re-itteration of an old idea. But +/- 20 years can yield a pretty big difference in technology and "futuristic advancements"....

So I ll ask again, "Has anyone heard or played these drums yet. because I m interested?" Does that work? ya frikkin comedians...(s'all good though)

B

Big_Philly

Apparently, the ingenious shell configuration gave a measurable amount of volume increase.
Dumb question maybe... but why on earth would anyone want to design a LOUDER drum? Drums are effin' loud as they are. I'm trying to figure out a way to get less volume out of a drum without losing the sound and feel of an open drum. (it's probably impossible)

zambizzi

Platinum Member
Dumb question maybe... but why on earth would anyone want to design a LOUDER drum? Drums are effin' loud as they are. I'm trying to figure out a way to get less volume out of a drum without losing the sound and feel of an open drum. (it's probably impossible)
Drums are only as loud as the guy sittin' behind 'em.

B

Big_Philly

Drums are only as loud as the guy sittin' behind 'em.
Of course... but I consider an instrument where you can keep up with a 1000W PA system without breaking a sweat to be loud enough as it is. I would see no need to develop a louder drum for the specific purpose of being louder.

eddiehimself

Platinum Member
It's not a new idea. Back in the 70's, Premier started building double shelled Resonators using the same idea. Apparently, the ingenious shell configuration gave a measurable amount of volume increase. The series was discontinued in the beginning of the 90's.
They're really good i have a 16" floor tom. The thing is that it's so loud that you can have it in a low tuning and it'll still be as loud as you need it. There are probably quieter 18s around. It's not just about the volume though the sound is just so deep too, it's not even a full 16" deep but it sounds much bigger than it is. Aesthetically the best thing is the lack of any sort of screws or mounting hardware on the inside of the drum.

It sounds quite interesting about the swiss cheese idea, i would imagine it would be louder as a result.

a smaller set?

Of course... but I consider an instrument where you can keep up with a 1000W PA system without breaking a sweat to be loud enough as it is. I would see no need to develop a louder drum for the specific purpose of being louder.
i remember there was an article on a shell-less snare drum that was 2.5x louder than a yamaha maple custom or something and one of the engineers for a band using it was saying that having a louder drum is much better when you want to mic the set up for live use as it allows you to reduce the gain to reduce feedback as well as crosstalk but without losing definition.