Sources of inspiration?

Dunc

Hello all,

I was thinking the other day, there have been say 5-6 albums/gigs/drum clinics i have seen in my drumming career that have really helped inspire and motivate me as a drummer.....

-1990. Hearing Stewart Copland with The Police.

-1992. Buddy RIch video from my parents

-1994. Seeing vinnie colaiuta playing with sting.

-1997. Discovered Steve gadd's 50 ways (cant believe it took me that long!)

-1999. Steve white/ jim kilpatrick drum clinic. Really great when they're there to help everyone improve rather than just show off.

-2000. Discovering jim Chapin, mainly his description of moeller

- 2008. Jojo Mayers secret weapons DVD

I'm interested to hear what everyone's key influences have been and why?

Mighty_Joker

Silver Member
For me, inspiration comes from seeing genuine masters performing on the drums. My biggest idol is Vinnie Colaiuta; his playing speaks to me like nothing else, and that is all the inspiration I need.

That said, any of the greats: Weckl, Gadd, Smith, Mangini, DiCenso, DeJohnette, Jones.... these masters are my source of inspiration. Most recently, it was Benny Greb's 2012 performance; you know, that 15 minute solo. Beautiful.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I never sought inspiration from other drummers, I simply want to play the drums the way I want to hear them. Other drummers impress me, but that's where it ends. Music is my inspiration, not other drummers. I never idolized or was a fanboy of any other drummer. I've stolen a few things I liked from certain players, namely Danny Seraphine and Phil Ehart, but mainly I look to tap into the ocean of rhythms that can only be accessed through the shedding of conscious thought when playing. It's my inspiration and motivation to try and get to that serene place, because I like it so much.

Beam Me Up Scotty

Silver Member
I never sought inspiration from other drummers, I simply want to play the drums the way I want to hear them. Other drummers impress me, but that's where it ends. Music is my inspiration, not other drummers. I never idolized or was a fanboy of any other drummer. I've stolen a few things I liked from certain players, namely Danny Seraphine and Phil Ehart, but mainly I look to tap into the ocean of rhythms that can only be accessed through the shedding of conscious thought when playing. It's my inspiration and motivation to try and get to that serene place, because I like it so much.
Well said!

The latest drummer I've been "stealing" from has been Gavin Harrison - simply phenomenal stuff!

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Hello all,

I was thinking the other day, there have been say 5-6 albums/gigs/drum clinics i have seen in my drumming career that have really helped inspire and motivate me as a drummer.....

-1990. Hearing Stewart Copland with The Police.

-1992. Buddy RIch video from my parents

-1994. Seeing vinnie colaiuta playing with sting.

-1997. Discovered Steve gadd's 50 ways (cant believe it took me that long!)

-1999. Steve white/ jim kilpatrick drum clinic. Really great when they're there to help everyone improve rather than just show off.

-2000. Discovering jim Chapin, mainly his description of moeller

- 2008. Jojo Mayers secret weapons DVD

I'm interested to hear what everyone's key influences have been and why?
Dunc, I don't know all of the drummers but know there have been a few, but if you listen to a lot of Paul Simon you will hear a ton of great drumming

Rock Drummer

I saw Mike Mangini last year in Milwaukee. He did a clinic at a music store. It was fantastic and inspired me to practice 4 hours a day until the end of summer.

I am also inspired just by going to lessons and seeing how good my teacher is and how good I can become

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
I never sought inspiration from other drummers, I simply want to play the drums the way I want to hear them. Other drummers impress me, but that's where it ends.
There's inspirations and influences Uncle Larry, while I'm not necessarily influenced by the drummers I listen to, I've been inspired by many, the way they approach music in general, it inspire me to get to the kit and play my own stuff with a new inspired view, I do not copy licks and chops, I get inspired by the approach to the instrument, that's different IMO than being influenced by a given drummer.

I find inspiration not only in drummers, other musicians/instruments also inspire me when I play the kit, as well as other source of inspirations not related directly to instruments or music, inspirations is what's making us unique, as opposed to emulate or being influenced by another drummer.

When you get inspired, nice things happen generally :)

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
i find inspiration not so much from other drummers but from the other players in the band. just wanting to make the band as good as possible. other drummers impress me and give me ideas.but mostly the desire to be a great band inspires me.

larryz

Platinum Member
Steve Gadd was also inspiring in Paul McCartney's "Take It Away" from his 1982 LP "Tug of War". I think it's Gadd's only collaboration with Paul but what a great one.

dmacc

Platinum Member
There's way to many to even recall but looking back it's more than just albums & concerts... Charting it out seems as if 1984 was the biggest year but they were all equally important.

1976 – My Dad setting up is 1940’s Ludwigs for me to fiddle with / signing me up for private lessons

1980 – Lesson’s in a local community music school with a teacher that broke down the barriers of learning. / Got my first issue of Modern Drummer which became the only thing someone could get me to read.

1981 – Purchasing Tower of Power’s “Back to Oakland” LP – So long to rock music from that point forward..

1982 – Sitting about 8 feet away from Buddy Rich’s bass drum during an entire concert.. Enough said….

1984 - First gigging band playing 3 – 4 nights per week for the next 4 years including my first professional studio experience

1984 - Sitting about 10 feet away from Steve Gadd’s bass drum for an entire show. Enough said….

1984 - Studying at Eastman School of Music’s Community Ed. Forever changed my grip and have never since modified.

1984 - Studying privately with a world class drummer who just came off the road with Maynard Ferguson.

2000 - Studying with another world class jazz drummer / teacher at Eastman

EarthRocker

Every drummer I see inspires me to some extent, even if it's something as remote as just listening to new music. But there are a few drummers who I look at and think 'I wanna' play it JUST like that.' so I watch the video over and over again and go to my kit and try to duplicate it. Then there are drummers who influence me simply by their approach to the groove - I'm not typically inspired by guys like Jojo Mayer who are all about flash and insanity, but more so, the drummers who keep time as a powerhouse, and do it with a lot of soul. I appreciate what guys like Thomas Lang and Jojo Mayer do, but my playing style doesn't go near either of those territories.

As far as being able to chronicle time periods or albums that inspired me, there's just too many. Every time I hear a new song that really gets my toe tapping, I want to sit down behind the drums. And I listen to A LOT of new music, sometimes I spend my day on Youtube, going through related videos so I can hear bands I've never heard before.

Masheanhed

1974-Watching a drummer for a band playing a school dance. I couldn't tell you if he was good or bad, I just remember it all looked cool.

1980-Watching Keith Moon in the film "The Kids Are Alright". Although I had been wanting to get a drumset and learn to play, this kicked it into high gear.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
There's inspirations and influences Uncle Larry, while I'm not necessarily influenced by the drummers I listen to, I've been inspired by many, the way they approach music in general, it inspire me to get to the kit and play my own stuff with a new inspired view, I do not copy licks and chops, I get inspired by the approach to the instrument, that's different IMO than being influenced by a given drummer.

I find inspiration not only in drummers, other musicians/instruments also inspire me when I play the kit, as well as other source of inspirations not related directly to instruments or music, inspirations is what's making us unique, as opposed to emulate or being influenced by another drummer.

When you get inspired, nice things happen generally :)
Influence and inspiration...can you have one without the other? I think so.Normally they would go hand in hand I would think. The guys I stole from definitely influenced me. Did they inspire me? Perhaps but I never recall hearing someone great and getting all in a frenzy to have to play. It was more like I was making mental notes about what I wanted to steal. Is that inspiration? In my mind it's theft lol. I do recall seeing bad drummers at open mics and being inspired to get up there because I thought I could do better. I steal stuff from those who are better than me and I am inspired to play by those who I think I can do better than. Which sounds odd, right? I never wanted to play like anyone else, but I have stolen juicy tidbits from others that appealed to me. There's never been a lack of inspiration to play, generally speaking.

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
For me it's like the urge to take a piss. I want to play music. If I go for too long without playing, I get anxious, grumpy, and can't concentrate. The longer it goes, the more urgent the need gets, until finally I sit down at a kit, play a groove, tilt my head back, and go "aaaahhhhhhhhh" as I let that stream of notes out.

In another way, it's like a drug. I get high off an awesome jam. Sometimes you just have a hit of music that really pushes you into awesome overdose, and for a good while after that, it's hard to get the same high again. If I jammed with one guy, next time I'm going to need a bass player too for that full sound texture and more intricacy.

I guess you could say my inspiration is addiction or biological need. I listen to music and other players because I love the energy and feel of it; but I don't typically get inspired by someone else's playing as a fuel for my own.

And despite all I just typed, also: JP f'n Gaster. I doubt I would be as fully immersed in drumming if I'd never heard someone play the drums the way he does.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
This last month, the hardest month of my life, I barely touched the drums except for the gigs I had to do. I tried sitting down in my studio to play, but the urge wasn't there, so after 5 minutes I just realized it wasn't happening and did something else. Taking a squirt is a good analogy, or an appetite. It is a need for sure. I liken playing drums to having a lover outside of a primary relationship.

Dunc

Yea... So does my GF, which does not usually work out in my favor... :-/
There are 3 people in my marraige me, my wife and my drum pad :)

When we are lying in bed or watching a movie, I'll get a row for tapping my fingers, I'll then stop and within a minute i'll be tapping my feet, after another row I'll be tapping paradiddles with my teeth.

She's a lucky lucky woman......