Sore Joints

blondebimbodrummer

Hi everyone

so I have been playing drums for about 15 or so years and recently over the last week or 2 I have started to notice my fingers and wrists kinda aching for no apparent reason mainly on my left side.

I am a right handed player. I haven't changed my technique, if anything my technique now is better than it has ever been so I am really confused as to why all of a sudden I am feeling uncomfortable. After today I have a kind of dull ache down my left arm and an almost numbness from elbow to fingers and I haven't even played that much.

Has anybody else had anything similar to this?

How did you resolve it?

Thanks a lot

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I'm not a doctor but I did sleep in a Holiday Express last night. Could be many things.
1. posture. have you changed recently ? throne higher or lower.
2. equipment moved? right hand ride cymbal height adjusted.
3. age? I won't ask.
4. Snare head? New one and much tighter than in the past. Tight snare heads make my hands hurt, but I am old and too stubborn to change.
5. Sticks? Different size or length or weight?

So many things but try to eliminate ones that don't make sense.

Chunky

Silver Member
That could be carpel tunnel syndrome! definitly need to get checked out. You may have to adjust things if it is, avoid holding the sane position too long, vibration reduction I'm sure there's many other thibmngs which can help.
They'll probably inject your wrise with steroids, which will work a treat but I'm not sure how many times they can do that as it leaves you prone to infection. Once they've taken the initital pain away you should be able to avoid it for the most part.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.

larryz

Platinum Member
Try and stay away from medical doctors. Most only know how to push drugs and order unnecessary surgeries. They rarely try to correct the underlying cause, only treat symptoms with drugs. Your body is a living organism and can heal naturally in almost all cases. Do some research and see a naturopath, chiropractor in you area. Also try this product...I have for years. It works. Could also be a nutritional deficiency. Good luck. FYI, there are several chiropractic doctors on this forum you may wish to consult.

http://www.nutritionalfrontiers.com/myfiles/HA Plus Veg Powder(1).pdf

Last edited:

topgun2021

Gold Member
Stay away from medical doctors. All they do is push drugs and order unnecessary surgeries. They never try to correct the underlying cause, only treat symptoms with drugs.
Just because you have had a bad physician doesn't mean that they are all bad.

You have a joint issue. If it is really bad and hinders every day activity, see a doctor. You may even make a appointment with a sports therapist instead since they deal with joints a lot.

iontheable

Stay away from medical doctors. All they do is push drugs and order unnecessary surgeries. They never try to correct the underlying cause, only treat symptoms with drugs. Your body is a living organism and can heal naturally in almost all cases. Do some research and see a naturopath, chiropractor in you area. Also try this product...I have for years. It works. Could also be a nutritional deficiency. Good luck.

http://www.nutritionalfrontiers.com/myfiles/HA Plus Veg Powder(1).pdf
Honestly most research shows that glucosamine and MSM, when taken orally are broken Down far too much to be effective..topical treatments however have shown some progress.

I use a topical application on my wrists a couple nights a week and while I fear the placebo effect, I FEEL like its working..

Chunky

Silver Member
Sounds like you had a bad experience before Larryz?

Don't be so harsh on trained professionals, I
I've looked into so many natural remedies over the years and the truth is they cure nothing, some don't do anything at all physically.
What they CAN do is help prevent things.

It's a bit late for that though. At the end of the day I'd be dead without the drugs and surgeries they chose for me, these guys know what they are doing andbyou should go see them ASAP.
You don't have to agree with everything they say or what methods they want to try, just speak up and the more you tell them the better they can treat you.
Best of luck!

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
If you've been playing for 15 years, you might be getting old. I'd like to say it's all going to get better from here, but chances are much better it will be opposite.

As my gramps was fond of saying in his age: "Everything hurts".

rjvsmb

Hi everyone

so I have been playing drums for about 15 or so years and recently over the last week or 2 I have started to notice my fingers and wrists kinda aching for no apparent reason mainly on my left side.

I am a right handed player. I haven't changed my technique, if anything my technique now is better than it has ever been so I am really confused as to why all of a sudden I am feeling uncomfortable. After today I have a kind of dull ache down my left arm and an almost numbness from elbow to fingers and I haven't even played that much.

Has anybody else had anything similar to this?

How did you resolve it?

Thanks a lot

Hi,

These types of issues develop over time, and with sitting at the drums repeating the same motions over and over and over, it's not surprising that some type of over use or postural issues occur.

Numbness, aching, and I would suspect some tingling in the fingers? It sounds like you possibly have a nerve inpingemen - possibly be the Ulnar nerve. I would seek out the opinion of an orthopedic doctor to diagnose the problem.

Take a look at this:

-rhttp://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00069

Good luck,
-r