Sonor versus Yamaha hardware

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Can you hear a difference in the drums?
of course, even factoring in the different rooms & recording methods. Overall, I liked the Sonors best, & out of those, I liked the Prolite, especially the snare. The Yamaha's both sounded a little one dimensional compared to the Sonors, & that mirrors my real word experience with these two brands too.

The Prolite could have done with some better tuning though, the 12" tom wasn't the best. best tuning award goes to the SQ2 kit. I didn't find any of them to be exceptional in these examples, just amongst the very best of generic sounds (with the exception of the Prolite snare) :)

jaysticks

Thanks Andy, I had a delite once and it was a lovely sounding kit, but struggled with louder volume situations. What are your thoughts on the differences between sonor medium/heavy shells to the thin vintage on the prolite?

Smatch

Thanks Andy, I had a delite once and it was a lovely sounding kit, but struggled with louder volume situations. What are your thoughts on the differences between sonor medium/heavy shells to the thin vintage on the prolite?
Artstar is correct, I have a heavy beech kit. These shells have a very wide tuning and dynamic range despite what most people would initially perceive due to their thickness. I had my thin birch shelled S Classix in the studio for a while and got a really great sound. I recently sold them and moved my heavy beech shell into their place. The first thing I noticed was that the heavier shell immediately felt like it had more "oomph" if you will, most noticeably in the kick feel and sound. The toms felt more muscular as well and actually performed (were excited easier) better at low dynamics compared to the thin shelled Classix. One thing worth mentioning is that all German SONOR kits share a very similar character. The shell thickness more than the material seems to effect the overall feel and power in my experience. The Yamaha PHX kit I owned (very thick shell) was also very responsive at low dynamics but the overall character of the shell was more bombastic compared to the more refined/clean feeling/sounding SONOR kits I have played and owned. I also owned a maple light designer (SQ2 med maple shell) and that kit sounded and felt phenomenal. The only reason I parted with it were some perhaps, paranoid concerns I had about the longevity of some of the "over engineered" hw found on that series. SQ2 has changed enough from the Designers series hw that those potential issues aren't something that I worry about. The sonic differences between the different shell material surely exist but to my ears the more important variable is the shell thickness. In my experience with SONOR nothing is lost in terms of tone or tuning range with the thicker shells, they all sound terrific. For me it is more a matter of feel, the stick seems to be absorbed more with the thinner shell construction and seems to bounce a bit more with the thicker shell construction. So in summary thicker shells have a little more muscle and power combined with a bouncier feeling playing surface. All that said I also have a vintage beech SQ2 coming in a bout 2 mos so I will be able to give you an even more concise comparison when they arrive. If there is any dealer in your area carrying some SQ2 kits I would make every effort to get some hands on time with them. Oh yeah and if I could afford to I would love to try a Guru kit.