Sonor Force 3007 or GMS bop kit?

2bsticks

Platinum Member
Looking for advice. Selling off a kit and the plan was to downsize one of my kits to a 18,10,14 configure. The drums are GMS. They are used but in great shape for $1000 while I'm checking these out my eyes kept wandering over to a Sonor Force 3007 in a beautiful red glitter lacquer for half the price, however the sizes are 20,12,14. Both kits seem well made and sounded good. Of course I would upgrade heads. I don't have any hands on, on either kit?
What do you Sonor and GMS players think?

ineedaclutch

Platinum Member
Looking for advice. Selling off a kit and the plan was to downsize one of my kits to a 18,10,14 configure. The drums are GMS. They are used but in great shape for $1000 while I'm checking these out my eyes kept wandering over to a Sonor Force 3007 in a beautiful red glitter lacquer for half the price, however the sizes are 20,12,14. Both kits seem well made and sounded good. Of course I would upgrade heads. I don't have any hands on, on either kit?
What do you Sonor and GMS players think?
Are the GMS the long lug or split?

ineedaclutch

Platinum Member
If I was to guess they look like they are not long and maybe hook lock
Is that the Tangerine Sparkle Club? I have played their long brass lug original series and the 3007. I remember when they were blowing out 6- piece 3007 for $600.
Since you already have a normal kit I say go with the GMS to have truly different sizes. I am one of the few who prefer 10/14 vs 12/14.
It all depends on if it's worth it to you. I don't think a used 3007 3- piece is worth $500. I have no idea what an appropriate price would be for the GMS Club line.

2bsticks

Platinum Member
Yeah the tangerine kit, the Sonor are new not used, on clearance. Good valid point on the sizes though.

ineedaclutch

Platinum Member
Are you open to other kits. I think the Renown Bop 18,12,14 is about 1k. Saturns too I think. They may be the 20,12,14 though.

2bsticks

Platinum Member
Yes, I'm open to another make, as long as I can mount the tom off the bass. Old school guy here :) The GMS is going for $1000.

2bsticks

Platinum Member
Whats you take on the Catalina series? Mahogany I know. May have a chance on a used kit with hard cases for 500. This will be a second kit for small gigs etc.

What about the 5 lugs on toms? Probably not an issue once you get drum tuned up is my guess?

ineedaclutch

Platinum Member
I would take the 3007 before the Catalina. Everyday. I still have a Catalina Maple from 10 or more years ago, and the hardware was not up to snuff imo. Eventually I turned the 16ft into a kick, 10rt, and drilled the 12 for legs. I used it for a short while with an acoustic trio. I haven't touched that kit in years.

Last edited:
M

MasterBlaster

Damn, I didn't know Sonar had such inexpensive kits!

WallyY

Platinum Member
If the Sonor 3007s are like the Sonor Session, which some posts have claimed are the same shells, I would make an effort to play them in person.

I have a set of Sessions. They have a small tuning range. The good tuning is in the lower range. Probably because of the sharp 45º edges. I tried a rims mount and S-hoops, but they get bangy at higher tuning.

opentune

Platinum Member
of those two, Sonor 3007 maple for half the price is my pick.
20-14-12 is a very useful size range and can do just as much or more as 18-14-12 ....unless you really want to look the jazz part.
I have a 3007, not in those sizes, nice shells for the money.

2bsticks

Platinum Member
Update. Pulled the trigger on the Gretsch. $650.00m for everything. Mint, great dark finish, only a rear old. He included the hard shell SKB cases and threw in a matching (color) Tama Artwood 10 lug snare with carry bag.

Hardware seems fine for my use. Only using as a backup for small rooms and cruise ship work. Wish me luck :)

Thanks for all the support