Songs for beginner?

philrudd is right. Because of the simplicity, things get overlooked sometimes. Or people tend to add things that aren't there. Like a lot of crashes or fills that aren't there.

Phil Rudd used a lot of restraint when it came to crashes. So that when it was time for a crash, it really meant something. And a lot of times he would lead up to a crash by gradually loosening the tension on the hi hats. Very effective. And something that beginners often overlook.

philrudd is right. Because of the simplicity, things get overlooked sometimes. Or people tend to add things that aren't there. Like a lot of crashes or fills that aren't there.

Phil Rudd used a lot of restraint when it came to crashes. So that when it was time for a crash, it really meant something. And a lot of times he would lead up to a crash by gradually loosening the tension on the hi hats. Very effective. And something that beginners often overlook.

Yes! Well stated.

Rudd was once asked if he could summarize the AC/DC music philosophy in one word; he replied, 'Waiting.' It took me YEARS before I actually, truly understood what he meant. But it's brilliant; by waiting on the crash, he gives weight to the crash. One devastating word instead of a flowery paragraph.

Simplicity is hard, and for most players, it often takes years of attempting complexity for that realization to materialize.

"Hurts So Good."

1) Do i exactly like the record.

2) Play along to the music.

3) PLay it solo with just drums.

4) Like 3), but sing.

"Hurts So Good."

1) Do i exactly like the record.

2) Play along to the music.

3) PLay it solo with just drums.

4) Like 3), but sing.

5 Like 4, but sing a different song while drumming the original solo with just drums.

....and then there's the Tom Petty canon.....

Songs I typically start my students with:

Seven Nation Army - White Stripes
TNT - AC/DC
Blitzkrieg Bop - Ramones
Billie Jean - Michael Jackson
Back In Black - AC/DC
Paranoid - Black Sabbath
Werewolves of London - Warren Zevon

If you want a couple simple Metallica songs: "For Whom The Bell Tolls" and "Enter Sandman."

Last edited:
Check out the Creedence Clearwater Revival and the Bad Company catalogs. Lots of songs to choose from there.

Yes! Well stated.

Rudd was once asked if he could summarize the AC/DC music philosophy in one word; he replied, 'Waiting.' It took me YEARS before I actually, truly understood what he meant. But it's brilliant; by waiting on the crash, he gives weight to the crash. One devastating word instead of a flowery paragraph.

Simplicity is hard, and for most players, it often takes years of attempting complexity for that realization to materialize.

I hadn’t realised it was such an old thread but I’ll pitch in anyway.
Absolutely correct about AC/DC, there’s a received wisdom that all of their songs are easier than anything else to play and ideal for beginners. There’s a simplicity to parts of them that people can struggle with and often a moment of difficulty that stumps people. I played Highway To Hell for ages without realising there was a stop towards the end and even now when playing it I “feel” it coming and don’t carry it off the way Phil effortlessly does. Rosie has a 5 count in, okay no big deal but a genuine beginner may be used to thinking in 2s and 4s and need to grasp that. Let There Be Rock! Well I’ve seen the gushing praise meted out to the Foo Fighters recent tribute to Malcolm Young playing that and was distinctly unimpressed. Missed the snare drum intro and played half time on the ride cymbal at the beginning instead of Phil’s furious hi hat work. You Shook Me All Night Long, yes simple....not.

There are some AC/DC songs that I might point beginners towards but there’s a depth to them that goes unnoticed until you’re in the seat and playing them yourself.

As for the teacher/Drumeo remark, maybe misuided, naive or even trolling but I learned from playing along to tapes and playing with my mates so not a million miles different.

Weezer - Hashpipe

Straightforward with some basic fills, but you can also enjoy all the crashriding in it ;)

Beatles, great songs and you subconsciously learn to play for the song.

Back