Songs About Fathers

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Everyone loves their mother, and mother's have tons of songs about this. But what about fathers? All we get is "Papa was a Rolling Stone" and "Cats in the Cradle". That sucks. Are there any positive songs about fathers?

And happy Father's day to all of you who keep the lights on, keep the water running, pay the rent/mortgage, mow the yard, and everything else we do that often goes unnoticed. I hope it's a good one!

Armor of Light

Catholic Hymns of days past. Chant, Classical, Schola. Good stuff.
As far as rock & pop songs...there MUST be more than what you mentioned, but I can't think of any at all. They are all about the angst of sons it seems.

And..Thanks! You too broother.
Dad of 4 here. Oldest is finishing Art College now Youngest is 7.
We do-do a lot.

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
Here's one of my favorite songs that is related to fathers.

The Living Years. Mike & The Mechanics

https://youtu.be/5hr64MxYpgk

(Note the Philippine mahogany drums with real cymbals that the drummer is playing. They seem to have a nice studio recorded sound.)

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
The song called "Patches" recorded at Muscle Shoals by Clarence Carter.
At first I was thinking of the song by Dickie Lee about the little girl who drowns in the river. Clarence Carter's song is much better.

Good stuff so far, but still not much. I know Rooster by Alice in Chains is based on Jerry Cantrell's father's time in Vietnam. Good song, but not very positive.

Much of Bruce Springsteen's early career was spent singing about his problems with his father. He once asked his father which of his (Bruce's) songs were his (the father's) favorites, and his dad replied, "The ones about me."

But for 1987's Tunnel of Love LP, he wrote and recorded "Walk Like a Man," a beautiful, touching song which looked at the way his relationship with his father had changed over the years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6r4KjCuy94g

Later, on 2005's Devils & Dust, he wrote another version of a similar story, "Long Time Comin'."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XelwSWXPMrA

toddmc

Gold Member
Good stuff so far, but still not much. I know Rooster by Alice in Chains is based on Jerry Cantrell's father's time in Vietnam. Good song, but not very positive.
Tenterfield Saddler- Peter Allen (about his fathers suicide)

Father's Day- Wedding, Parties, Anything (about a divorced father visiting his son every weekend). This one is at least semi-postive because it focuses more on how much the dad looks forward to seeing his kid (and vice versa).

Papa, Can You Hear Me?- Babrbara Streisand (lamenting her fathers death)

Sorry I can't think of a really postive one (there must be a few out there)?

Last edited:

Ransan

That’s a tough but good one MrInsane these seem to be a sort of carrying on type attitude but here’s my short list:
Best day of my life - George Strait
Love without end amen - George Strait
That’s my job - Conway Twitty
Someday never comes - CCR

Last edited: