Something old, but new.

keep it simple

Platinum Member
Thought I'd put this up here, as it really is of general interest (IMHO). An old idea, but made more convenient. Made by my friend Ben at Cymbal Magic in the UK, it really doesn't get more simple than this.

We'll be offering a bespoke version with our snares, but for everyone else who wants one, contact Ben at Cymbal Magic.

Here's a little demo, with fairly predictable results:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DsGWhXfAxw&feature=youtu.be

Happy holidays everyone, Andy x

Thunder 42

Silver Member
Very cool, Andy...dig the bass drum hoop logo and your POV - many goodies in there. I'd have a hard time leaving that room.

Magenta

Platinum Member
How appropriate, given that I rehearsed with a big band last night and the band leader told me that my Guru snare sounded "too boys' brigade" and that I should put a cloth inside it and a pillow in my bass drum. The snare is a little lively, I admit, so if I were going back (when hell freezes over), I'd probably invest in something like this, to show willing if nothing else because I love my snare just the way it is.

He talks funny
No he doesn't. He talks PROPERLY!

like those fellers on the BBC news
No he certainly doesn't! Haga!

steadypocket

Gold Member
I find it hard to believe that a man who is so passionate about making the most resonant drums on the planet would lower himself to putting his imprint on a product designed to suck the life out of a drum. Shame on you Andy...shame :)

Nate'sKit

How appropriate, given that I rehearsed with a big band last night and the band leader told me that my Guru snare sounded "too boys' brigade" and that I should put a cloth inside it and a pillow in my bass drum. The snare is a little lively, I admit, so if I were going back (when hell freezes over), I'd probably invest in something like this, to show willing if nothing else because I love my snare just the way it is.

No he doesn't. He talks PROPERLY!

No he certainly doesn't! Haga!
I am talking about the version that we get over here in the colonies.

keep it simple

Platinum Member
Johnny Rabb sells a product like that. Not quite as large. The Rabb Tab.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8E3PCY-rFbQ
That's very interesting Grunt, I've not seen that before. The version I'm testing is the standard model (we don't make this gadget). The one we'll be doing is smaller than the test sample (only a little larger than Johnny's), and has a number of modifications. Additionally, it's being offered as part of our service to our customers, not on sale to the open market.

I find it hard to believe that a man who is so passionate about making the most resonant drums on the planet would lower himself to putting his imprint on a product designed to suck the life out of a drum. Shame on you Andy...shame :)
Ah yes - but - it's head control. The shell resonance is all still there (although dampening affect on this bigger test sample is excessive IMHO). Anyhow, beautifully crafted in leather with embossed script logo, you'll be sucking in style ;)

I am talking about the version that we get over here in the colonies.
I have been told I have a BBC English voice by many Americans, but I've also been asked if I'm an Australian too, so it's all perspective :)

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
"How appropriate, given that I rehearsed with a big band last night and the band leader told me that my Guru snare sounded "too boys' brigade" and that I should put a cloth inside it and a pillow in my bass drum." That's funny Madge had a Big Band conductor tell me the same thing-must be a BB Conductor thing. I told him that's the way a snare is suppose to sound. I actually did have the bass drum muffled some so I was aghast.
Pretty cool idea Andy-quickly go from lively to dry. In small rooms you sometimes need a cloth-like just last night I did-my wallet was too much. I think a smaller version would be nice.