someone says you suck at drums, what do u do?

Kg_lee

I don't let it bother me. Because I opinionated like that myself. I understand not everyone is gifted like John Bonham was. I play well and have to think of ways to work around my weaknesses. What makes you a good drummer is think about what you play do you try to do things you can't do that make you sound bad? In a band situation my rule was don't go where you can't. People always thought I was this amazing drummer. Boy did I fool them! My playing is just a series of motions/patterns in my head.

Aeolian

Platinum Member
Here's a corallary: How do you tell someone that they suck at drums. I was at a jam last night and this fellow asked me how he sounded. I see this guy around all the time. He is really into it. Keeps bringing in fancy stuff that he's bought to show off at various jams. Goes on and on about playing prog or fusion songs and folks like Lenny White or Billy Cobbham. Or great local drummers. Last night he was going on about how this great local drummer had 40 years under their belt while he'd only been playing for 15. I was astounded at the 15. This guy's playing last night was an absolute trainwreck. Most jam hosts try to avoid letting him play. Or try to work it out so that after one song, they can yank him for some special situation that just came up. Not only can he not keep any sort of time, but he plays randomly around the kit, never doing the same thing once. You can sort of hear him trying to play fancy patterns under the music, but it is all so off that the rest of the band has to soldier on and just play while ignoring him.

So, when he asked me how he sounded, what could I say? Do the polite thing and say he sounded great? Let him keep ruining the night for the other folks who drew the short straw and had to be lined up with him? I suggested that he spend some time listening to Steve Jordan and put more effort into lining up the playing. He admitted that sometimes he "gets excited", which I guess is his rationalization for going off the beat. I tried to relate that the local monster drummer he was going on about always kept a huge groove, no matter how complex a thing he might be doing. That if you had the groove happening, you could put the other things on top of it.

I guess there is so much attraction to all the sizzle and spice, that folks ignore the foundation and think that it's all about the flash.

What can you do?

PQleyR

Platinum Member
Someone who would actually say that to someone in person has got problems of their own to sort out, I think. It's often helpful to recognise that, even to empathise with it. It takes the heat out of the whole situation.

Aeolian

Platinum Member
Someone who would actually say that to someone in person has got problems of their own to sort out, I think. It's often helpful to recognise that, even to empathise with it. It takes the heat out of the whole situation.
I'm reminded of an old saying. If someone calls you an ass, simply reply "Thanks for sharing." If two people call you an ass, you might want to consider it. If three people call you an ass, buy a saddle.

While it is hurtful to outright tell someone that they suck, I don't think blowing smoke up their butt is helping them any either.

beastdrummagirl

i just wanna see what people would do if someone went up to your face and said "you are a really crappy drummer. i mean, im better than you."

why i post this? cuz it happened to me today, and i didnt know if i should've hit the guy, or tried to talk about it with him.
Usually, since I'm a girl drummer, I get this alot from guys.... but that's before I actually play.. so it's funny seeing their faces afterward. :) but, being a girl... hitting someone over that is useless. I don't usually argue but I'd rather let my drumming speak for itself. Which usually works, unless the other person is like a deathcore drummer and doesn't realize that drumming to a different genre doesn't make you a crappy drummer... and I've come across drummers like that. :/