Some recording advice, please

JakeyD

Hi all. I don't know too much about recording, so please bear with me...

Up until now, I've been recording with V-Drums primarily due to their ease of use. I can record a track as MIDI, and then mute individual drums to get a full multi-track file with each drum on a separate channel. However, I've been feeling the limits of recording with electronic drums, and so I want to try recording acoustic drums on my next album. I also want to make sure I can record each drum on a separate track, or at least split up the drums between bass, snare, toms, and cymbals (overheads).

I'm planning on picking up one of those pre-packaged mic kits for drums, but this is where I run into my problem. Most mixers I have seen only have main outs for a stereo signal, so even if I have seven different mics on my drumset, the drums will be mixed down to a stereo signal in the mixer, and thus recorded as a stereo signal in my DAW. Since I was planning on using Edirol's FA-101, I suppose I could pick up some impedence converters to switch the mic plugs to 1/4 jacks and run them directly into the inputs on the interface, but then I can't adjust the volume/EQ of the signal before it enters the computer. What would be nice is a mixer that has individual outputs for each track, but so far I haven't seen any.

The Alesis i0|26 seemed like a great solution (as we will be recording guitar/bass along with the drums), but I have read some reviews that criticize the drivers and are quite negative overall. I own the Edirol FA-66 as well and am quite comfortable with it, too, so I'd like to find a solution that allows me to use the FA-101. (For that matter, the Edirol M-16DX also looks like a great possibility as well...) The trick is that we have three weeks to record a full album, so I need to know that the audio interface will work properly before we even start recording. That's why I'm a bit wary of buying an interface I've never used before.

Anyway, sorry this is so long, and thanks for any ideas you may have.

Oldie

Mackie has a couple of mixers with a firewire interface for computer. They sends all channels to your DAW + a main mix, the Mackie sends an dry signal, no FX and no EQ on the firewire.I like that, I prefer to record a dry signal and apply EQ and effects later anyways.
There are other FW mixers out there, but I have only used Mackie.

/Oldie

dcrigger

You're right, submixing to stereo will be a huge compromise. IMO you don't even want to be thinking about mixers, but rather focus on acquiring enough inputs with mic-pres to handle the amount of signals you're wanting to record - separately...but all at the same time.

Personally I use one of the MOTU interfaces for this in conjunction with a Presonus 8 channel preamp box - hooked to the MOTU via ADAT litepipe to bring the number of mic inputs to 16.

dc

rmandelbaum

Platinum Member
If you want fast and easy go for the Presonus Firepod. 8 inputs / pre amps. It even comes with Cubase LE. And you can daisy chain up to 3 of these to get up to 24 inputs.

It uses Firewire to connect to your computer

M

Mediocrefunkybeat

If you want fast and easy go for the Presonus Firepod. 8 inputs / pre amps. It even comes with Cubase LE. And you can daisy chain up to 3 of these to get up to 24 inputs.

It uses Firewire to connect to your computer

If you have a FireWire capability, this is what you want.

JakeyD

Awesome, thanks for the advice, guys. That interface looks sweet, and costs about the same as the FA-101. Apparently it works well with Sonar too. Well, time to go shopping! ;)

-tarek-

Go with the MOTU pre 8 over the presonus. I've owned both and the MOTU has MUCH better mic-pres. I get a better sound quality with the MOTU.