Some Drum Workshop love!

M

Matt Bo Eder

It seems whenever someone brings up DW Drums, we seem to pile on to that company (probably unfairly). While DW Drum owners sit in stoic silence until the rabble-rousing calms down.

I found a couple of shots of me back in the 2001-2008 years when I played DW Drums, and back then, I really liked those Collector's Series drums, and I stand by what I always say that they are well-made instruments that sound great, and will pretty much do anything you need them to do. So even though I don't play DW anymore, there's no reason for me to hate them, there's probably no reason for anyone else to hate them, either. I've lived with two of them and although I couldn't quite get them to sound like the sound I was hearing in my head, they sounded great for the work I was doing at the time.

Anyway, as proof, here's my two promo shots I used back then. The zebra FinishPly was my first one, and I even had a matching 5x14 snare drum. I later traded the zebras for the black satin stain 6-piece with a black/brass snare when I realized I didn't want to look like I was in a perpetual mid-life crisis ;)

Attachments

gdmoore28

Gold Member
And the shades lend that all important air of cold professionalism. :) I agree with you, Bo. It's a temptation to pile on DW for all of us who are cynics by nature (and I am the chief of cynics!), but I'll be the first to admit that I would love to have a set of Collectors Series drums. DW has done a phenominal job of self-promotion to the point that, if asked what the best drums in the world are, a lot of folks would automatically reply, "DW!" And that galls many of us. It's similar to constantly hearing that Neal Peart is the best drummer in the world. I disagree with that so strongly that I must admit I've been unwilling to even give the guy a chance. That's just the nature of cynicism. If it's popular, I'm against it. But I still want a set of DWs!

GeeDeeEmm

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
Great drums Matt,
I don't own any dw drums but I really like dw drums.
I have sampled numerous dw kits and I liked them all.
I do own a lot of their hardware and I am very happy with it.

If my passion wasn't vintage drums I would own a dw kit in a heartbeat. I just don't have the cash to do both vintage and high end modern.

Love dw :)

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
And if you think about it, hating DW drums.....really?

How can you hate any drum?

Bo I wish I was as cool as you look.

Oh wait I am.

:p

I've been thinking about breaking my DW's out. I haven't played them in 3 years now. Just to hear them again.

Funny, I started playing my DW's when you stopped playing yours, 2008.

I have a set of DWs. Granted it's their less expensive performers series but they are still the best drums I've ever had or been able to afford. I'll probably be buried with these things. So I guess you could say I love DWs.

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
In that second pic, I can't tell if you're ready to rip up the kit, or solve a crime in Miami. Either way, I'm entranced.

digibird

No Hating on DW from me. I'm a Ludwig guy for the most part since I was 8 years old, but I own a kit of DW classics, 13-16-24 in vintage marine pearl, that sound and look beautiful! All of my hardware is DW 9000 series, too. And I would love to live in Oxnard/Santa Barbara, CA.

keep it simple

Platinum Member
I think I'm pretty balanced when it comes to airing my opinions on DW drums. There's certainly plenty of examples here of me being complimentary, both to the drums themselves, & the company's achievements.

M

Matt Bo Eder

I think I'm pretty balanced when it comes to airing my opinions on DW drums. There's certainly plenty of examples here of me being complimentary, both to the drums themselves, & the company's achievements.
Oh I know - you're one of the best ;)

I was just pointing out that from time-to-time, depending on whatever is brought up, sometimes we as a forum start acting like a guitarist forum. Everybody starts airing negativity (me included) and it just goes down the drain from there. But I think as drummers, we don't let it go too far because I think we all know it's just gear so we don't take it as seriously as say, people who live the Harley-Davidson lifestyle, you know?

I will say this about myself; for all the good-natured ribbing I take about my house being a revolving door of drumsets, I now know what I like, and know that I can get it from pretty much everybody making a decent set of drums. This, of course, makes me a horrible candidate for endorsing anybody's drums, but that's just the truth (besides, I make enough money to buy what I want anyway). And I happily accept the fact that Guru will probably never sell me a set of drums - but I really like their concepts and the beautiful instruments they make. I just know that in the situations I play in, everything Guru does will just get thrown out the window ;)

M

Matt Bo Eder

Great drums Matt,
I don't own any dw drums but I really like dw drums.
I have sampled numerous dw kits and I liked them all.
I do own a lot of their hardware and I am very happy with it.

If my passion wasn't vintage drums I would own a dw kit in a heartbeat. I just don't have the cash to do both vintage and high end modern.

Love dw :)
I realized I'm like you. I'm a vintage guy. I love my 70s Ludwigs, and the fact that they're identical to my 2013 Ludwigs, it's like I'm living out my dreams when I was kid in the 70s. And the fact that the drums sound great is even better.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
I don't think it has much to do With DW themselves. For me it has a bit to do with an attitude that existed, before the vintage trend, that regardless of any sort of taste, having ever tried one or even being a drummer, DW were considered the best. No discussion.

I went through that thing with guitars. And after trying everything and every new improvement, it's quite funny to me that what I ended up with is a few strats and an old Blackface Fender. I came to this simply because of tone. Nothing else. Not an ounce of nostalgia. It just works and sounds good.

Icetech

Gold Member
Yeah... DW needs more love.... thats a bit much.

I own dw's and the last thing the company needs is more love.

Juniper

Gold Member
I wouldn’t say I was a hater but I was never a fan of their drums (loved the hardware and pedals) until I bought a set the other week and it sounds fantastic.

Not one of the 'brands' that I ever cared much for- not in the same esteem as I hold Gretsch or Ludwig.

Guess that's down to them still being a relatively new company when compared to the two above, less historical stories..etc about them- which is something that Ludwig and Gretsch dine out on.

Having this kit certainly converted me since, I cant argue with the sound one bit. It's lovely.

Did make me chuckle, when I put up photos of the kit on here no-one cared to comment. It was a forum version of tumbleweed drifitng by. Haha!