Solution for multiple bands, with a band logo'd kick head?

BruceW

I have a pretty nice band logo'd kick drum head. OK, its kind of plain in design, but I like it. Regardless, it has the band name on it.

A couple of us from that band are starting a "side-project", which will have some different members, and a different band name.

Other than changing out the head each time, does anyone have a solution for this? I contacted the company who made the logo'd head, as they also make peel-off logo styles as well. They replied to me that its not a good idea to attach one of these to another logo'd head, as it might damage that one.

So I'm trying to conceptualize a way to at least cover that head so I don't have to change it out every gig. (At some gigs one version of the band will be playing the first night, and the other version will play the next night, at the same venue. Pretty cool, keeping the gear set up, but a big pain to change the head with the kit already in place.) I asked the logo head company if the offered anything for this purpose, and they do not.

Ideas? Solutions? (Other than not using a logo'd head in the first place, lol.)
Thanks

mmulcahy1

Platinum Member
Simply replace the logo head with one that is blank and use it for both bands.

I know you stated you didn't want to do that, but it makes life Easy.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
I've always been in multiple bands, only two had art on the heads. But I had several kicks and simply used the appropriate ones those bands. :)

But it occurred to me that changing art on heads might be handy, and this should work, if you don't have a wide open kick. Start with a basic head. and using Velcro at maybe 6 points around the circumference, attach/swap overlays* as needed. To keep the overlay from buzzing against the permanent head, put a few pieces of the fuzzy Velcro in strategic places on the backside of the overlay. Again, unless you run the kick with no padding at all, there shouldn't be a sonic conflict.

"Won't the Velcro be visible when you're just using the permanent head?" you may well ask. Not if you use white Velcro on a white head, and black on black. :)

Bermuda

BruceW

I've always been in multiple bands, only two had art on the heads. But I had several kicks and simply used the appropriate ones those bands. :)

But it occurred to me that changing art on heads might be handy, and this should work, if you don't have a wide open kick. Start with a basic head. and using Velcro at maybe 6 points around the circumference, attach/swap overlays* as needed. To keep the overlay from buzzing against the permanent head, put a few pieces of the fuzzy Velcro in strategic places on the backside of the overlay. Again, unless you run the kick with no padding at all, there shouldn't be a sonic conflict.

"Won't the Velcro be visible when you're just using the permanent head?" you may well ask. Not if you use white Velcro on a white head, and black on black. :)

Bermuda
That sounds like the best answer. The logo'd head currently in place is black with white letters for the band name, so black velcro shouldn't be any issue at all.

Cool. Love this place, always getting helpful ideas. Thanks!

Smoke

Silver Member
If the band name isn't an integral part of the art, maybe you could carefully remove the band name and leave the art.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
Just get a custom head with YOUR name or initials on it. Here's what I did:

Remo makes one where you choose your own letters for initials:

Here's another:

BruceW

Just get a custom head with YOUR name or initials on it. Here's what I did:

Remo makes one where you choose your own letters for initials:

Here's another:

Yeah, if it gets to the point where I'm playing in multiple different bands and settings, I might just go that route. Honestly, I was so thrilled to be involved in a band again after such a long layoff, I was excited to have my band name on the kick drum.

Little did I dream that I'd be working out with other folks enough for it to become an issue. A good problem to have, (for me, at least) and it'll eventually keep the drum head logo people busy for me.

Thanks for the suggestions.

tcspears

Gold Member
I've been struggling with this as well...

I have my initials on the head, but I've thought about being able to find some way to change logos quickly. I thought about smooth resonant head on the bass drum, and then a big static cling circle to go over it with the logo...

Bermuda's idea seems great with the Velcro, but won't that poke out too much?

Sometimes, I'll have 2-3 gigs in a day with different bands, so it'd be nice to find a quick way to do this...

Swiss Matthias

Platinum Member
Either the velcro idea, or multiple bass drums seem to be the only solutions
given that you don't want to change heads.

OR: both bands have to have the same name, haha.

bermuda

Staff member
Bermuda's idea seems great with the Velcro, but won't that poke out too much?
Velcro adds 1/4" total, so it shouldn't be noticeable. The trick is to cut the overlay so that it fits nicely over the existing head, but not such a tight fit that you'd slice your finger trying to grab the edge to remove it.

Bermuda

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
There are removable letters available, and companies that make logos that are peel and stick. On a smoothe head they can come and go.

Morrisman

Platinum Member
I had a logo put on the inside of a thin black head. For that band I placed the backwards head on the rim on top of the reso. Held it in place with four shoelaces or four bits of tape to four of the rods. Could add or remove it on half a minute. Both resos were unported.

No-one ever noticed that the logo head wasn't actually flush. Sound wise it muffled and shortened the sound, but I had a mic living inside the drum, and this band suited a punchy, short mic'd sound. Worked well for two years, but now I've bought a second kit.

Attachments

bermuda

Staff member
There are removable letters available, and companies that make logos that are peel and stick. On a smoothe head they can come and go.
But both the head and the back of the overlay would have to be kept really clean. And single letters would have to be carefully arranged each time, and kept clean as well. Too much special care required.

Bermuda

M

Matt Bo Eder

Wait a minute, you don't have multiple kits? Come on now ;)

ottog1979

Playing in two bands, I had this problem too. I tried Bermuda's trick but I play an open, undampened bass drum (except for felt rings that come on the Aquarian Super Kick II). Visually this worked perfect. But the velcro'd logo picture just killed the resonance and sound. So alas, I just use my practice kit with separate logo head for the second band.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Get a white coated head.

Set up a projector and project the band logo onto the bass drum head.

I don't see why you can't sacrifice a head, cut the ring and collar off the head, decorate what remains of the sacrificed bass drum head with a band logo, and stick it on the other logo'd bass drum head somehow.