Soldering snare wires

johnwesley

Silver Member
This is a follow up to my post regarding Premier wires for a COA 2000 flobeam system. I found some wires with the necessary keyholes to fit the flobeam but the length is 17" and that an inch too long to fit the dru. (these were apparently for a 15" Premier marching snare with flobeam)
What I'd like to know is have any of you ever cut the wires down and resoldered to the end plate? BTW, I'm not real good at soldering or welding.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Most I have seen are soldered. I have not done this myself but would advise a system to hold all of the wires in place while soldering so that all are exactly the same length when finished. A vise or clamps. etc.

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
I was an Electronic Technician/Electrician for 40 years.
My guess is that the solder used in making snare wires is stronger than regular solder used with electronic circuit boards.
I don't think regular tin/lead solder is strong enough for snare wires.

On second thought, if the wires are put through a hole in the plate and then crimped, then maybe regular solder could secure the wires.
Because the stress of the wires would be at the hole/crimp.

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
I have never tried to solder snare wires. It looks like it would be difficult to do correctly.
All of the wires need to be perfectly in line, perfectly parallel and of the same exact length.
Hopefully someone who has actually done it will chime in.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I work with a guy who is a genius when it comes to soldering. He doesn't heat up the solder, but the wires instead. He gets them hot, then puts the solder to the wires and it melts itself to the wires. I suck at soldering so I can't confirm this, but he solders 100 wires to 50 input panels in about 2 hours. It's at least worth a try.

dboomer

My guess is that they are silver soldered which is much stronger than regular solder. But if you are not good at soldering you would probably have better luck with JB Weld glue.

johnwesley

Silver Member
My guess is that they are silver soldered which is much stronger than regular solder. But if you are not good at soldering you would probably have better luck with JB Weld glue.
That's something I've used. Never crossed my mind. Now I'm going to ponder a while. Thanks

Red Menace

Platinum Member
Just had a clever idea, you could get a cheap pocket comb to hold the wires secure, nip the ends with a beefy set of wire cutters then remove the old solder from the end piece and re-secure with JB weld.

Maybe even tape them to a piece of wood and add the comb higher up, close to cut end to keep them from shifting.

johnwesley

Silver Member
Just had a clever idea, you could get a cheap pocket comb to hold the wires secure, nip the ends with a beefy set of wire cutters then remove the old solder from the end piece and re-secure with JB weld.

Maybe even tape them to a piece of wood and add the comb higher up, close to cut end to keep them from shifting.
Now you're thinking. Sounds like a plan. Thanks.