Sold the Spauns

keep it simple

Platinum Member
Not exactly big news, but I sold the Spauns today. A tinge of sadness, as they've served me well. Happy that they're going to a good home though. The price I got was fair, if not a touch on the low side, but I can live with that. They were near mint when I sold them. Fond memories - time to move on :)

First two photo's are from when I first got the kit. Next photo is me gigging the kit. Last photo is from the Ebay listing showing what's included in the sale.

Quite a bit of interest actually.

Attachments

WhoIsTony?

never owned a kit I liked less than a set of custom Spaun that I had

most expensive kit I ever bought and least favorite by a mile

I wouldn't take a Spaun kit for free if it was offered to me

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
The end of an era, and the dawn of a new age ;)

At least they sold quickly. Sometimes it takes months to sell a kit in our current world economy.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
Actually, I thought you had sold them off a long time ago.

I remember the debate on to sell or not was quite a while ago.

keep it simple

Platinum Member
never owned a kit I liked less than a set of custom Spaun that I had

most expensive kit I ever bought and least favorite by a mile

I wouldn't take a Spaun kit for free if it was offered to me
Very charitable of you Tony :) Actually, I think I know where you're coming from. Their setup is exactly the opposite of the sounds/vibe I think rocks your boat. That doesn't mean they're bad, it just means they're at the opposite end of the spectrum to the ideal sound in your head. In my situation & gigging context, they worked really well, & were well made.

I have the near opposite end of the spectrum sitting directly behind the Spaun in the last picture. I'll be playing 3 very different kits in rotation. I strongly suspect one I will introduce next month would be right up your alley :)

OK......

Well now.....
well now indeed - onwards & upwards.

The end of an era, and the dawn of a new age ;)

At least they sold quickly. Sometimes it takes months to sell a kit in our current world economy.
Very much so Bo. They sold first time out. Advertised at a realistic price.

Actually, I thought you had sold them off a long time ago.

I remember the debate on to sell or not was quite a while ago.
Well remembered Ian. I had to keep them a bit longer because of kit logistics within Guru.

For those interested, they sold for $1,500 including the cases.

WhoIsTony?

Very charitable of you Tony :) Actually, I think I know where you're coming from. Their setup is exactly the opposite of the sounds/vibe I think rocks your boat. That doesn't mean they're bad, it just means they're at the opposite end of the spectrum to the ideal sound in your head. In my situation & gigging context, they worked really well, & were well made.

I have the near opposite end of the spectrum sitting directly behind the Spaun in the last picture. I'll be playing 3 very different kits in rotation. I strongly suspect one I will introduce next month would be right up your alley :)
wow after reading that just now I realized how dickish that came off.... not how I meant it to come off at all brother ....sorry about that

I just a bad experience with them

I actually worked closely with Brian designing my kit in early 2000..... my first mistake was picking a wrap

I got the kit and the first thing I noticed was this "boing" type sound from the toms... I tried many head combos and could not lose this tone that the shell was producing that was very unappealing to my ear...
then 3 lug tubes on 3 different drums stripped out on me .
soon after that I noticed the wrap starting to bubble up and peel off

I quickly sold them and took a loss to get them out of my life... :)

yours always sounded great to me in vids

keep it simple

Platinum Member
With a set of Guru's thrown in, I would expect there was quite a bit of interest. ;-)
Hahaha, you have a point ;)

wow after reading that just now I realized how dickish that came off.... not how I meant it to come off at all brother ....sorry about that
I didn't take it that way Tony, hence the :) at the end of my comment.

Brian was honing his craft back in 2000. Already some way in, he was going through the same journey that most do, & that has trip up points along the way. The "boing" sound is a combination of elements not working well together. Sometimes the customers choices are the catalyst, but the builder should know better than to fall into that trap. A very common mistake of assuming separate elements/features will come together & equal a good result. Unless you really know your stuff, they rarely do.

Bubbling wraps is just down to taking care in the process, & Asian sourced lugs stripping out is just part of the deal when paying low dollar values for hardware.

The kit I had was a much better thought out instrument, built 2007 (ish) with Spaun's own brass lugs. Even so, I still suspect it wouldn't get you excited about the sound, as your taste favours something more rounded in it's approach. As an aside, although unfortunately unlikely to happen, but I'd love to spend a day with you just playing around with sounds. I think you'd be shocked at what can be achieved :)

Funny, as l looked at the pics my eyes were drawn fast to the small kit in the back! It must feel strange after using a fairly large kit on a rack to the new kit. At least how the new kit sits in the picture.

keep it simple

Platinum Member
Funny, as l looked at the pics my eyes were drawn fast to the small kit in the back! It must feel strange after using a fairly large kit on a rack to the new kit. At least how the new kit sits in the picture.
I use both a 6 piece & a 4 piece setup. I'm completely comfortable with both.

The Guru kit pictured at the back of the Spaun is the 4 piece version of this 6 piece setup. Funny, as the 6 piece with rack actually takes up less stage space than the 4 piece with stands :)

Attachments