...so it looks like I`m a better drummer when I`m drunk

mind_drummer

Platinum Member
I don't drink anymore and when I did never drank until the show was over and if there are any nerves they usually go away once I start playing..6 beers is alot for a person that doesn't have a drinking problem...and at 48 one thing I have learned and I may be very wrong in your case but people that don't have a drinking problem never have to say they don't have a drinking problem..
I do have a drinking problem ! My fridge's empty and no more beers left but you know ? I can stop anytime... till the next one !

I dont see any problem :p

LOL !!!

Talk about your can of worms. Innocent as the thought behind this thread was, it detoured from it's original intention to an alcohol debate.
I'm all for personal freedoms in equal measure with personal responsibilities.
I'm glad you had a great gig. Did you record the gig to see if what you were experiencing was actually what the audience was experiencing? As long as the 2 are in sync with each other, that's the real important issue.
You can't let beer ears or any "other" ears delude you. Recording yourself will highlight any differences.
Thanks Larry! No I`m sorry there is no recording of it but we are planning on recording some songs. We will do one session where I`m sober and one where I`ve had a few beers so you can hear the difference haha just kidding. Btw thanks for not making me feel like an alcoholic haha.

birks10

Well, without sounding like i'm being critical of you, i'll take a little chance here and suggest that perhaps you might have originally posted this "drunk-drumming" experience to possibly justify drinking more-than-a-little before a show?.... maybe?..... I'm not saying i can see into your intentions here, but this is what occurred to me as I read your post. For me personally from my past, I already know that my playing is not as good if I have a beer or something before i play. That's just me. I make it a habit (and have for many years now) to never drink at all before i play because of what it does to my playing. I'm never nervous before i play a gig. Frankly, its a confidence thing and i don't require other exterior means to get myself into a good playing vibe. My personal opinion is that you don't drink at all before you play. It sounds to me that because of your one "positive" experience with this that it may lead you to think that you "should" drink before you play. Not recommended. Get your positive chops application moving from the arena of "confidence" in your abilities and not from anything else.... Just my opinion.

Kelly

inneedofgrace

Platinum Member
I'm never nervous before i play a gig.
I would venture to say that you are in the minority here, depending on what is defined as "nervous". I've been playing for over 25 years and still get some amount of nerves before and during a gig. I've been doing my job for longer than that and still get nervous when I have to perform certain functions (such as having to discipline or fire someone). I love to speak (and sing) in public, but still get nervous every time.

Being nervous isn't always a bad thing. It really gets the blood and adrenalin flowing, and you can use that for good.

BeethroDM

I usually have one or two beers before the show and one or two more during the show. Definitely has to do with nerves and the fact that I like beer. I've often felt like those couple beers have really helped and for some reason my best drumming memories include having a few when playing.
I'm not buying the beer ears thing as I most certainly notice when I've had so many that it starts to have a negative effect on my playing. I also have tons of recordings of my playing after having 2-6 pints and those recordings feature some of my best playing. I'm not encouraging other people to drink but it seems to work for me.
One more thing: where I live, drinking six beers is nothing, whereas in some other countries/cultures it's considered a sign of alcoholism. Here people drink up to 25 beers / evening when they party hard. I still remember when I was a kid and found it really shocking that in France it was ok for twelve-year-olds to have a couple of glasses of wine with dinner :)

Pkaneps

I can see it from both ways. I personally don't like playing drunk, BUT I'm a little more outgoing when I'm drunk, which leads to a boost in confidence. Now if I'm unsure of what I want to play, I don't play it. But say I'm drunk and I pull it off better than I thought I could, that's a plus.

But I play sloppy rock. So what do I know?

Red Menace

Platinum Member
I'd like to share my experience on the matter. I'm in my mid 20's and I enjoy a cold beer every now and then...more so now than then.

In my last band I played uninspired classic style rock. I didn't have to play a lot of fancy drummery in our sets. I would almost always have a few beers before our set. I played a few smaller gigs while pretty sauced. It was more just fun for me.

Now in my new group I play some more exciting parts and sing a good chunk of the vocals. Plus we're a 3 piece. I've stopped drinking before gigs, well maybe one but no more before we play. I've tried playing my parts while a little sauced at practice and I just can't do it. Even having a couple beers at practice affects my ability. I now have to save the boozery for after the show, and believe me there is boozery.

Btw OP, don't mind the teetotalers. If you wanna drink and drum then you have your fun. Just don't drive. Here in AZ a DUI is a death sentence. My girlfriend just got a car that's big enough to hold my drums and now I don't have to be DD at all my gigs. Win!

Well, without sounding like i'm being critical of you, i'll take a little chance here and suggest that perhaps you might have originally posted this "drunk-drumming" experience to possibly justify drinking more-than-a-little before a show?.... maybe?..... I'm not saying i can see into your intentions here, but this is what occurred to me as I read your post. For me personally from my past, I already know that my playing is not as good if I have a beer or something before i play. That's just me. I make it a habit (and have for many years now) to never drink at all before i play because of what it does to my playing. I'm never nervous before i play a gig. Frankly, its a confidence thing and i don't require other exterior means to get myself into a good playing vibe. My personal opinion is that you don't drink at all before you play. It sounds to me that because of your one "positive" experience with this that it may lead you to think that you "should" drink before you play. Not recommended. Get your positive chops application moving from the arena of "confidence" in your abilities and not from anything else.... Just my opinion.

Kelly
Thanks for replying to my post. I can assure you that I did not write this post to justify drinking a lot of beers before playing. If you read the last line in my post you can see that I just wanted to share this experience with you guys and hopefully get some tips on how to deal with whats known as performance anxiety.

Mikecore

Silver Member
Never been a good experience drinking too much on the gig, and I still have to get my drums and myself home in my car afterwards. I might have a beer or two before a show if there is another band ahead of us, but I hold to a limit on alcohol. I consider a gig to be a working environment.

eames drummer

You said it ...you LOOKED great. Just kidding. The best way to get through things like this

is...must I say it...PRACTICE! Gig more, got to open mics, After awhile confidence builds and nerves go away! Hope it helps.