So, I'm going to make a somewhat unique drum video, and I need your help

Lunar Satellite Brian

I want to do a drum video where I basically just mess around doing random crap like "how fast can you play?" or"what's the worst possible sounding drum beat you can play?" ect.
(edit, suggestions can be either silly, or a genuine challenge to my skill or whatever else you think will be interesting)
so what I need from you guys is some questions that might be fun to do/answer ect. in the video.

I'll try to make it as entertaining as possible I promise.

So far I don't know exactly what it's going to be, it's a little experiment I suppose.

For those of you(most of you) who don't know me I'm 15 and I play and write my own music which you can find here www.soundcloud.com/lunar-satellite and here http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAdrianbelew

Any questions/suggestion will be appreciated

k thnx <3

EDIT: So far some suggestions that I'm going(or at least considering) to do are

1. Play a common drum beat forwards and backwards, alternating each measure or two measures. Do something non symmetrical o' course.

2.How much cowbell can you put into a beat?/How fast can you play on a cowbell

3. Five fastest ways to get booted from a band (having only to do with what you play)

4. Make something totally obscure and useless (as far as my beginner mind can think) such as playing something in 17/8 or 21/8 sound good.

5.Make a thunderwave?

Last edited:

keep it simple

Platinum Member
I think you're on a difficult journey with that approach. Sure, it could be fun, but many will treat it so at your expense. Unless you can put a positive spin on negative things like "what's the worst beat you can play", you're setting yourself up for a fall.

mikeyhanson

Silver Member
I think you're on a difficult journey with that approach. Sure, it could be fun, but many will treat it so at your expense. Unless you can put a positive spin on negative things like "what's the worst beat you can play", you're setting yourself up for a fall.
Agreed. If you're looking to pack your youtube comment box with people making fun of you, that's a good way to do it.

Lunar Satellite Brian

Well for one I don't really have much of a following on youtube, so I doubt I would get too many haters, and even if it gets a lot of views I'm not very easily offended, so I think I'll be okay.

Create a flowing rhythm were each note flows into the next

Mimic a thunderstorm.
could you explain a bit more plz?

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
I'd much rather see things done well. Any idiot can do things poorly.....it's all over the internet. Why do we need yet another series of clips where someone is acting like a fool in an already thriving sea of mediocrity? There is nothing unique or particularly entertaining about doings things badly mate. Unless you are really able to put a comedic spin on the whole thing, where is my incentive to watch?

Maybe I've spoken too soon and should wait for your first offering. Maybe, it'll be hilarious. But from where I'm sitting, at this early stage.....the initial idea certainly doesn't grab me.

Toolate

Platinum Member
Make something totally obscure and useless (as far as my beginner mind can think) such as playing something in 17/8 or 21/8 sound good. I never understood why anyone would want to do this other than to prove they could.

Lunar Satellite Brian

holy poop nuggets, this is why I don't post here often.

Let me clear some things up okay

1. The content of this video will not be intended to be completely serious

2. what I do is entirely up to you, if you want to see me do something absolutely horrendous, you'll see it, if you want to see something challenging or serious, you'll see it.
so far I only have one thing I'm going to do that will be intentially bad/ making a fool of myself

3.I can't promise you this will be worth while. It's a little experiment I want to do and need a little help on.

You guys really need to be a little less critical on the little things.

Make something totally obscure and useless (as far as my beginner mind can think) such as playing something in 17/8 or 21/8 sound good. I never understood why anyone would want to do this other than to prove they could.
oight, I will definitely try this.

Can't say I will succeed, but I will try, and if I fail it will still be hilarious, maybe.

Netz Ausg

Silver Member
Gavin Harrison's 19 days is a fantastic example of someone playing a piece in an odd time signature (19/8) and making it sounds very musical at the same time. There's a live video of it on youtube that blows me away.

toddmc

Gold Member
Yeah, maybe us old folks need to chill out re: this thread but for me its about your intentions.
If you're honestly attempting to make a unique drum video no-one has ever seen before, I applaud you sir. If this is just a cheap ploy to get more YouTube views however.....

Lunar Satellite Brian

Yeah, maybe us old folks need to chill out re: this thread but for me its about your intentions.
If you're honestly attempting to make a unique drum video no-one has ever seen before, I applaud you sir. If this is just a cheap ploy to get more YouTube views however.....
I seriously doubt anything I will do will get many youtube views at all, so no, I'm just trying something different for the sake of doing something different and "fresh".

also, after much thought, the most ridiculously long time signature I play is in (what I think) 12/8, so that may have to suffice, but I'll try to figure out 15/4 time for the video

Sjogras

Silver Member

Toolate

Platinum Member
I think its just that. Sorry to make this into a discussion about odd sigs but I disagree. I think most listeners would agree that songs like that just sound like noise with no groove.

I am fine with it and its beyond me at this point but I think its music for other musicians. The second link you posted wouldnt play for me but the first was just confusing. Cool but hard to get into. I want to tap my foot or nod to a back beat.

opentune

Platinum Member
Play the money beat for 3 minutes straight, with no fills and a straight face, and end with tapping the bell of your ride cymbal. THAT's not on youtube.

Obzen

Get a brand new pair of sticks, start playing, don't stop playing (not even momentarily) until both sticks are broken.

Longfuse

I think its just that. Sorry to make this into a discussion about odd sigs but I disagree. I think most listeners would agree that songs like that just sound like noise with no groove.

I am fine with it and its beyond me at this point but I think its music for other musicians. The second link you posted wouldnt play for me but the first was just confusing. Cool but hard to get into. I want to tap my foot or nod to a back beat.
I see where you're coming from, because I used to think that of a lot of the fusion 'Gods' of the '80s, but there are plenty of recordings where 'odd' sigs are used musically. They often have 4 as the denominator, granted, but they are popular/accessible (Brubeck, Soundgarden, north African traditional music etc).

Last edited: