Snare question, opinions ... . .

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
You haven't sprayed much, or any automotive paint, and definitely not the procedure I am talking about here . . to think it won't add even a fraction of a mil :) It will add much more than that.
I'm getting you, but I think that is where we might be understanding this differently, due to the background we're all coming to this from. Most lacquer drum finishes, even (seemingly) deep clears or sparkle finishes are quite thin. I wasn't aware that there were automotive finishes that were even in the realm of being multi-millimeters thick.

PetesPonies

I'm getting you, but I think that is where we might be understanding this differently, due to the background we're all coming to this from. Most lacquer drum finishes, even (seemingly) deep clears or sparkle finishes are quite thin. I wasn't aware that there were automotive finishes that were even in the realm of being multi-millimeters thick.
Here's an example. I Used to teach reading a Micrometer. To keep it interesting, we would measure the thickness of put own hair, from our head. After doing that for years and years , I certainly can guess the thickness of hair from looking at the color :) But the point is this . . the finest hair ever was about .015 and the thickest was .035 . .roughly. So a human hair is at least 1.5 thousandths thick. And that is fine blond hair. Do you realize how eay it is to bury a human hair in a paint job? And not just one thickness, you could bury a hair in almost every coat of primer and clear. Its a single stage paint, then that as well. Automotive paint is much thicker than you think . . and this is not even close to the flake I am talking about. Trust me. Some primers are so think, you can bury a quarter . .true.

cbphoto

Gold Member
Its relatively thin shell, about 6.5mm. When I am done, I'm sure it is be 8 or 9 mm. What will that do to the tone of the drum? I won't be wrapping the shell, but I will be layering some finishes. all sprayed. Thoughts?
In the 1980s I painted cars, formula Ford racing frames, bicycles, motorcycle frames & gas tanks, and other assorted metal constructs. I used either polyurethane or lacquer. Both required impeccable preparation, but lacquer required 5–10 rub-downs to achieve a slick shine. Urethane only required a decent gun, two coats and accurate lay-down. On cars, urethane was the clear winner, for both getting the job done efficiently and getting the primo wet look. Still, motorcycle riders demanded lacquer on their tanks. Urethane on the frame was wanted, but the guys that came to me wanted lacquered tanks. Ugh. So much handwork.

Comparing the proper thicknesses of the two coatings, lacquer that’s been properly applied will not provide a 2mm thick coat.

My take: if a wrap doesn’t ruin the tone of a drum, paint—of any kind—won’t either.

Regardless of what finish you choose, please post photos of the progress. We’d all love to see how things turn out.

Morrisman

Platinum Member
Are you talking about mils or millimetres? I Googled some sparkle spray paint which says it dries to ~3mil thickness per coat. 3mil is .076 of a millimetre, approx. 1/13th of 1 mm. So 13 coats would total 1 millimetre thick.

PetesPonies

Are you talking about mils or millimetres? I Googled some sparkle spray paint which says it dries to ~3mil thickness per coat. 3mil is .076 of a millimetre, approx. 1/13th of 1 mm. So 13 coats would total 1 millimetre thick.
Either, it's all math. You need to read the link that was posted above. It will help you see the thickness.

CB . . lacquer and motorcycle tanks is a bad combination :) Oh I've done it, never again though. That system is out. Nothing like dropping a little gas on your tank and watching your custom paint fade.

cbphoto

Gold Member
CB . . lacquer and motorcycle tanks is a bad combination :) Oh I've done it, never again though. That system is out. Nothing like dropping a little gas on your tank and watching your custom paint fade.
Indeed. I had a customer come back after about 3 months on the road (summer ride through the Sierra Nevada range) and wanted me to repaint his tank 'cuz the lacquer couldn't hold up to the drips & spills (and he was a tidy guy, wiping down his tank after fill-ups). And I hated seeing my work get ruined as well.

I placed a like-it-or-its-free bet with him, prep'd the tank and applied a nautical urethane of bright red. He was shocked at the gloss, paid me for the re-do and brought me more customers. :)

PetesPonies

OK, I have come up with a few ideas and ones that are different than a plain large metal flake. What I will do, is paint and few spray outs , see how they look and hopefully pick one I like. I'll post what I do here. However, I just moved a car in the booth that I have been working on since early last fall. So the booth is occupied and will be for a while. But . . . . . I'll figure a way :)