Snare Drum Purchase Opinion

rastaron

I need a new snare, with a nice "live" snap crackle gunshot sound.

This is going to be for a live reggae/rock type band, but will also be used for a rock cover gig I do weekly.

I love a nice attack, but don't have the money for a $500.00 snare right now.

What is your guy's opinion on these two drums?

http://tinyurl.com/4tzuxvx

http://tinyurl.com/d6ztyg

Should I go porkage or Lud?

Thanks!

Witterings

Silver Member
Get em both :)

Love the look of the transparent, years ago in the 70's I nearly got a transparent Sonor Kit when they were in but someone advised me against as they tend to warp quite easily, not sure if that's still the case or with newer technologies they've gotten over that problem.

rastaron

Yep...way wider range of sounds that can be pulled out of it and muffled out, when needed. Better all-around tone, too, IMO.

I would take the bronze over the acrylic any day.

I have a rule about never buying clear drums that goes like this: "never buy clear drums."
This is the kinda feedback I need. Keep it coming.

I heard some guy play the acrylic live the other day. It sounded good for what he was doing, but I have always wanted bronze and think I can do much more with it.

tamadrm

Platinum Member
That Ludwig bronze is more than a one trick pony.It has plenty of everything and will do what you ask of it.Acrylic drums are cool but have a limited tuning range.They tend to crack and self destruct when cranked up.You shoud also look into Tama Stewart Copeland snares.Great out of the box and a bargain used.If you want that Police kind of pop..check it out.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
The luddy is on clearance. What are you waiting for. Limited supplies. Pick up the phone and call now.

rastaron

That Ludwig bronze is more than a one trick pony.It has plenty of everything and will do what you ask of it.Acrylic drums are cool but have a limited tuning range.They tend to crack and self destruct when cranked up.You shoud also look into Tama Stewart Copeland snares.Great out of the box and a bargain used.If you want that Police kind of pop..check it out.
Ahhhh, then acrylic is out the door at this point.

I took a look at the Stewie, man and it's just a little too much $$ for me right now, although I would love that drum. Probably towards the end of the year.

I think I'm gonna grab that bronzer. It's calling out my name.

For examples of the sound I am looking for check out these tracks:
http://listen.grooveshark.com/s/Ziontific+Dub/1WrRRB?src=5
http://listen.grooveshark.com/s/Time+Come+Due/16jFPw?src=5

Can you offer any additional feedback?

rastaron

Sorry to hijack a thread, be interested to see what you think of it I was literally about to push the button on a Zoom H2

No worries, mate.

I got the Tascam yesterday and put several hours into messing with it, actually reading through the manual front to back and playing with a lot of the features.

I can tell this thing is going to be awesome already.

I only recorded vox, but just by the quality of what I heard, I know it's going to record very smoothly.

Key Points

• Design and layout is simply and sturdy
  • Came with a 2G flash card as well as two AA batteries and 2G SD card
  • Price was super low, $129.00
  • So far, sound quality seems exceptional as well as adjustable between wav and mp3
  • Many advanced features that are avail, but don't get in the way of the functionality

I will be recorded a practice today, so I will update you on that.

rastaron

Follow up!

I finally was ready to purchase the Ludwig ( 179.00 )...

I put it in my shopping cart and was going to give my credit card the next day....

I woke up the next day and it jumped to $250.00!!!

Completely beside myself, I called in and finally got them to lower the price to $179.00 again. The drum should be arriving soon.

Whoooosh!

toddbishop

Platinum Member
I paid $250 used for my hammered bronze Ludwig in the mid 90's, so that's a pretty good deal. Also a good lesson in asking for what you want- often they'll give it to you.