Snare drum love

A

Anthony Amodeo

Im a bit of a snare drum junkie

I have quite a few

but none to me sound as good as any of the Ludwig snares I own

my favorite being my customized Black Beauty

it just pops and has a sensitivity and clarity that is second to none in my opinion

Evans ST vented on top, Evans hazy 300 on the bottom , and 30 strand Pure Sound snare wires with classic millenium engraved P-86 Ludwig throwoff

Id like to hear about your favorite snare and what you have on it

richkenyon

Silver Member
I could buy a new snare every month, if money was no object. Absolutely fascinated by this voice of the drumset.

I own 10 at the moment & could not pick just one. However:

Ludwig Millenium 14/5 (a fancy Black Beauty really) has a sound that is just incredible, but it's not my favourite drum to actually play.

That's probably my Sonor DeLite (Vintage Maple) 14/5.

I don't do anything unusual in terms of head choices etc. I do use a Coated Emperor on my deep shell Sonor HiLite, but everything else is either Coated Ambassadors or CS Dot.

A

Anthony Amodeo

I could buy a new snare every month, if money was no object. Absolutely fascinated by this voice of the drumset.

I own 10 at the moment & could not pick just one. However:

Ludwig Millenium 14/5 (a fancy Black Beauty really) has a sound that is just incredible, but it's not my favourite drum to actually play.

That's probably my Sonor DeLite (Vintage Maple) 14/5.

I don't do anything unusual in terms of head choices etc. I do use a Coated Emperor on my deep shell Sonor HiLite, but everything else is either Coated Ambassadors or CS Dot.
thats an awful sweet piece in your avi

Florian

Gold Member
Hard to say...love my Sonor Designer Ferro and my Brady 14 x 8 Blackheart...both are killer snares.

F

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
The drum that's my personal favorite - a Noble & Cooley classic SS maple in honey maple stain. The drum that blows me away in build quality and musical tone is my Joyful Noise "Standard" model nickel over heavy brass shell.

richkenyon

Silver Member
The drum that's my personal favorite - a Noble & Cooley classic SS maple in honey maple stain. The drum that blows me away in build quality and musical tone is my Joyful Noise "Standard" model nickel over heavy brass shell.
I have an N&C SS Maple - not cosmetically that great but a super drum to play.

cwignall

I only have the standard Mapex M Birch snare and I love it...(mainly cos its the only one ive got)...shes called 'Mary' =)

Fuo

Platinum Member
My favorite is currently my 6x14 Tama B/B Performer. Still has stock G1/Hazy 300 heads, snares, and hoops (diecast).

But when I get bored in a day or two and switch it out for my 6x14 Ahead Black over Brass (Dunnett throw) that will be my favorite. I can't decide. That has HD Dry over the stock Amb. snare, stock snares, and stock S-Hoops.

I also have a 5x14 Chad Smith (stock Amb.) which I like a lot, but slightly less than the other two... And the matching birch 5.5x14 Superstar snare that came with my kit (CS X/Hazy 300)... I don't like that one very much.

caddywumpus

Platinum Member
I love the tone from my 1928 Slingerland.

I love the rimshot from my 1965 Slingerland Hollywood Ace.

I love the crack from my 2003 DW 10+6.

I love the body of my 1960 Ludwig Auditorium.

I love the dryness of my 1970 Ludwig 402 Supraphonic.

I love the metal ring of my 14x6.5 Black Beauty.

I love the woody ring of my DW/Craviotto.

I love the sensitivity of my custom steam-bent red oak.

...etc....etc....etc.....

zarrdoss

Gold Member
My fav is the one I built 14 x 10 maple with die cast hoops and trick throw off, its a freaking cannon!

evilg99

Platinum Member
I find that price/cost/value in dollar terms seldom has anything to do with how awesome or not awesome the various snare drums in my life are.
I like a particular $100 snare almost as much one that cost $800. And I have not cared very much at all for several $600 + snares...etc etc

Neal

kzdruma

I have a ton of nice, fancy, and expensive snare and it might sound silly, but my favorite is my old beat up masters custom 14 by 5.5. Go figure...