snare drum demo and comparison videos

edwicht

Hi Guys!
I must admit: Somewhere along the way, I've become somewhat of a collector. And as my 'toys' mean quite a lot to me and because they show that you can get decent tones out of almost every shell with minor to major modifications (proper heads, hoops and wires or complete reconstruction), I want to share a couple of videos of my (current - there's a couple of new old ones in the pipeline already) snare drums.
For better comparison all the videos are structured the same. I still hope they don't get too boring, though.

In that sense: Enjoy the videos and keep on drumming!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCkOrpMD28QTPH73Xk88-8c2OFGDgDLm-

Last edited:

oriollo

Nice demos.
You said you put H6 under the throne. How do you like that? Compared to other other positions?

Red Menace

Platinum Member
I love this. Two of my favorite words with regard to musical instruments are "Heavily Modified". You have a wonderful collection and have done a great job of faithfully documenting their sound for us all to enjoy. In this community of brand obsessed cats who care so much about whose drums their favorite drummer is using, I find it so refreshing to see someone like you. A player that looks at a 12" tom with perfectly good hoops and thinks "Why can't that be a snare?"

Thank you.... I like your style.

edwicht

Nice demos.
You said you put H6 under the throne. How do you like that? Compared to other other positions?
Well... The thing is: In this case I specifically used the actual H6 unit's stereo mics to capture the wires of the snare drums, because the four inputs of the device itself were occupied and I didn't want to go through too much effort dealing with more than the resulting five tracks. I wanted to get a raw and honest sound focusing entirely on the snare drum, after all.
Under that premise: I did a decent job - definately usable.
However, if you're planning on getting a transparent mix of all the drums, I wouldn't recommend using this method, because one way or another, you're very likely to run into trouble - especially phasing wise.
Here's why: As I said, the H6 provides you with a nice and crisp wire-sound that isn't actually too hard to get in phase with the snare drum top mic. However, you get A LOT of bleed from the bass drum, aswell. And I just found that, whenever I had matched the snare drum side of things, the bass drum side would go out of phase. And you really don't want this to happen.
If you want to use the device's stereo mics to complement a close mic setup, I'd rather recommend you put it on a mic stand at about the height of a grown man, put the stand a couple of feet in front of the kit and point the mics at the snare drum. (Hell, I'd record demos using only that setup any day.)
At the end of the day, having a snare drum bottom mic isn't really THAT important if you don't happen to do a lot of intricate ghosting or brushwork, imho. So you might aswell ditch the idea of having one in the first place and save yourself a fair bit of trouble in the mix.

Hope that helps.
Cheers!

I love this. Two of my favorite words with regard to musical instruments are "Heavily Modified". You have a wonderful collection and have done a great job of faithfully documenting their sound for us all to enjoy. In this community of brand obsessed cats who care so much about whose drums their favorite drummer is using, I find it so refreshing to see someone like you. A player that looks at a 12" tom with perfectly good hoops and thinks "Why can't that be a snare?"

Thank you.... I like your style.
Thank you! I really appreciate your words.