Snare drum build.

kuren84

Hi all i was wondering if anyone could give me some help. I had an old drum lying around and i decided to make a snare drum out of it. I have cut it down to size, stripped it and have sanded it all smooth and clean. I am in the process of getting together the hardware for the drum and there lies the problem. The drum is 13" wide and has 5 lugs and i can't find a bottom snare hoop that size with 5 lugs. Anyone know where i can get one before i take a hacksaw and a file to the existing hoop?
If i finish it i will post some pics.
Thanks
Kevin

keep it simple

Platinum Member
Get the hacksaw out, & at snare tensions, prepare for tuning inaccuracy if you're using a thin - medium triple flange hoop. A cast hoops stands a better chance of working on only 5 lugs. Additionally, snare drums work much better with an even number of lugs, especially when trying to get tension either side of the snare bed. In short, 5 lugs is the issue, & you'd be better off shooting for an even lug number + re - drilling the shell accordingly. It's all in the planning before you jump - sorry.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Gretsch has 13 inch toms with 5 lugs, but I dont know of any snare side hoops with 5 lugs. You might find someone with the proper tools to cut out a port for the snare cords using a proper tool and not a hack saw

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
The way to cut the slot in the existing hoop is to drill a hole at each end of where the slot will go. Then drill several more holes in between the first two holes that you drilled.
Now take a thin hacksaw blade and put it on a coping saw and rough cut out the slot. Next use a file to smooth and finish the cut.
You will have perfect snare slots if you take your time and drill and file accurately.

kuren84

Thanks guys it doesn't really bother me to much as it was just sitting around cluttering up the place and as it is totally unbranded was pretty worthless maybe i'll make something else out of it rather than spend alot of time and money on it. Rgarding redrilling though how would you go about that if it is already drilled for 5 lugs?

Thanks
Kevin

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
It is far easier to cut slots in the hoop than it is to re-drill the drum for 6 lugs.
You should be able to cut the slots in about an hour.

If you decide to re-drill then you have to fill the existing holes and measure the drum for the extra lugs. You may as well go with 8 lugs of you go that far with the drum.

Last edited:

kuren84

I had thought about drilling it and then filing it smooth so i will try that on saturday. Thanks for the thoughts. Any other thoughts are more than welcome.
Kevin

tamadrm

Platinum Member
Get the hacksaw out, & at snare tensions, prepare for tuning inaccuracy if you're using a thin - medium triple flange hoop. A cast hoops stands a better chance of working on only 5 lugs. Additionally, snare drums work much better with an even number of lugs, especially when trying to get tension either side of the snare bed. In short, 5 lugs is the issue, & you'd be better off shooting for an even lug number + re - drilling the shell accordingly. It's all in the planning before you jump - sorry.
+ On what Andy said.You would be better off plugging the holes with dowel rods and just cut and sand the plugs flush.It's not tough to do and it will solve your future tuning problems which are bound to occur with a 5 lug snare.

Or...you could drill 5 more holes and make a ten lug snare.Lots of ten lug wooden shelled drums out there.

And don't forget the snare beds.Not to deep or too shallow.

Steve B

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
I have never seen a 10 hole 13 inch hoop.
That is why I suggested drilling for 8 lugs.
Come to think of it I have only seen 12 inch 5 lug drums. I have never seen a 5 lug 13 inch drum before.

kuren84

Hi all rather than drilling and filling like has been suggested would doing something like this work??

This would make getting it smooth and flush easier.

Thanks
Kevin

Bretton

Silver Member
other options:

wood hoop with claws

clawless wood hoop

single flange hoop with clips

those bigger style of wood hoop (maybe get 5 hole and drill more lug holes)

I personally wouldn't mind re-drilling for 8 holes and having extra vent holes from where the lugs used to be.

kuren84

I like the look of all these options but im trying to use the hoops i have for the drum and modify them to save a bit of money. I will definatly look into them though.

Thanks