Snare Drum Audio Blind Test

Monster Melody

Hey all!

I'm working on some new techniques to mic and capture the sonic possibilities of a snare drum and in order to more forward I am collecting feedback via a blind test.

The samples are not necessarily "well rounded" samples so try your best to simply take them "as is" and choose the sample your prefer from each audio clip.

It is a very quick test with only six audio samples and one click feedback response. If you have five minutes or so and some good headphones leave a simple comment like "YEP", or OKAAAAAY" or "BANANA" and I will PM you a link to the survey. Thank you!

-Aaron H

keep it simple

Platinum Member
Hey all!

I'm working on some new techniques to mic and capture the sonic possibilities of a snare drum and in order to more forward I am collecting feedback via a blind test.

The samples are not necessarily "well rounded" samples so try your best to simply take them "as is" and choose the sample your prefer from each audio clip.

It is a very quick test with only six audio samples and one click feedback response. If you have five minutes or so and some good headphones leave a simple comment like "YEP", or OKAAAAAY" or "BANANA" and I will PM you a link to the survey. Thank you!

-Aaron H
Why not just post the link in this thread rather than messing around with PM's?

keep it simple

Platinum Member
PM's give me the ability to communicate with those who have interacted with the post. Plus its a little more personal ;)
You'll get a much better response if you post the link in the thread, & as this is a discussion forum, members like to chime in on the discussion. If you truly want a representative cross section of opinions, I don't understand the "a little more personal" angle, unless you're promoting a product. Just saying.

Monster Melody

I've just had positive results doing it this way on other forums. It seems however on this one this may not be the case... I'll get another thread going this afternoon.

wsabol

Gold Member
Did mine.

None of of them were that spectacular in my opinion... and most of the clips in each series were indistinguishable...... maybe that's just me, but yea.

mmulcahy1

Platinum Member
When you are done and have collected and analyzed your data, do you plan on letting us know the reason for the survey as well as the results and your conclusion?

ncc

Silver Member
I did not hear much difference in tonal quality. Test 4 and 6 seems a little more closer miked. Generally, though, most had an distance to them and it seems a lot of high end EQ. Was that the intent? I came across a good link here you may want to look at: http://www.benvesco.com/blog/mixing/

KamaK

Platinum Member
I found the test confusing. It was looking at 20 pictures of the same exact cheeseburger at different distances and being asked which I would prefer to eat. I know that this isn't helpful, so in an attempt to be useful:

Take the mic you used in 1-1 and throw it in a river.