Snare drum advice please

Ekko

Hi

I play acoustic guitar and currently accompany myself with drum samples (bass drum and snare) triggered by midi pedals I play with my feet. But I want to change to real drums. My idea is to get a small floor tom for the bass drum and an regular snare drum, and mount them on the floor so they can be played with a kick drum pedal.

I play medium size pubs, and I want the snare to be loud enough without putting it through my PA system. I guess, ideally, the warmer sound of a wood shell would suit the music I play (bluegrass-style songs), but from what I've read, metal shells generate more volume.

I guess I'll have to experiment, but I'm thinking that a wood beater would be best for the snare?

Anyway, any advice on size of the snare drum, wood or metal, etc, would be appreciated.

TColumbia37

Silver Member
If it's just acoustic guitar and vocals through the PA, you shouldn't have any problems with the volume of the drums.

opentune

Platinum Member
I'd actually recommend a larger bass drum for this, if you can afford one or have the room. A 20x14 inch is nice, not too much bigger than a 16 (which will be 16 deep). The 16 will not give the mellow low end you might be looking for in folky kind of music.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I think searching for a small single bass drum and separate snare drum will probably cost you quite a bit. I recommend getting an entire Sonor Player's kit. It comes with a couple of toms, but more importantly, a standard sized snare drum, and a 20" bass drum that's around 8" deep. Big enough to get the low end you need, but small enough to transport easily and not take up so much space on stage. Those entire shall packs only cost $449. Finding a single 20" bass and snare, could run you almost as much and they'd be used. Plus, they'll be new and ready to go. You just have to supply your pedals on how to play them.

Ekko

I'd actually recommend a larger bass drum for this, if you can afford one or have the room. A 20x14 inch is nice, not too much bigger than a 16 (which will be 16 deep). The 16 will not give the mellow low end you might be looking for in folky kind of music.
Sorry -- would that be 20 inches wide and 14 deep?

opentune

Platinum Member
Yep. 14 deep. Its a nice trade off between a low enough pitch but not too loud to shake windows in a small place. Not sure what you mean by medium sized venue but an 18 could work too.
Bo has a point, if you're looking to buy new.
On the other hand, it is easy to pick up a separate snare and bass drum of any sizes used.

By the way, somebody told me once the definition of bluegrass is no drums ;)

TColumbia37

Silver Member
If you look around Craigslist, you might be surprised by what you can find. Often, I see people selling orphan drums, and they don't usually know what exactly they have, so sometimes you can find some decent stuff for really cheap.

wsabol

Gold Member
I think searching for a small single bass drum and separate snare drum will probably cost you quite a bit. I recommend getting an entire Sonor Player's kit. It comes with a couple of toms, but more importantly, a standard sized snare drum, and a 20" bass drum that's around 8" deep. Big enough to get the low end you need, but small enough to transport easily and not take up so much space on stage. Those entire shall packs only cost $449. Finding a single 20" bass and snare, could run you almost as much and they'd be used. Plus, they'll be new and ready to go. You just have to supply your pedals on how to play them.
This is good advise. Buying the drums separately could easily run you more money.

There are a handful of cheap, small kits, any of which would suit you well, Ludwig breakbeat, Sonor players, Sonor safari, a Rhythm traveler even... I'd recommend the Gretsch Catalina Club. Its comes with a wood snare and a 18" bass drum (split the difference) and in some classy finishes to match your style.

And yea, while its depends a lot on how your feet play, I seriously doubt you'll have an issue with the drums being too quiet.

Any ideas on how you plan to mount a pedal to a snare drum?

drum4fun27302

Gold Member
not to be a party pooper or anything, cough, cough, you are looking at a lot of stuff to buy and volume to control and lots of stuff to carry around.. you midi pedal with a module is so much easier to move around and the sound quality is much better....

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I have a Gretsch Catalina Maple 16 x 16 floor tom that you could have for a decent price if you are interested. Give me a shout

Ekko

not to be a party pooper or anything, cough, cough, you are looking at a lot of stuff to buy and volume to control and lots of stuff to carry around.. you midi pedal with a module is so much easier to move around and the sound quality is much better....
I play quite a lot of open mics, and unless the sound guy (not being sexist, but it's never been a gal) knows what he's doing, the sound of the drums and the mix balance can be diabolical (even though the triggered sounds themselves are pretty good). Also, many of the open mic PAs lack monitors. So I'm thinking that it would simplify things if the drums were acoustic -- that way, it's just me controlling them, I will hear them better, and I'm thinking that the tone will be more natural. I guess there's only one way to find out ...