snare buzz

eddiehimself

Platinum Member
disengage your snares. If you play loud then you could just crank your throw off a lot so you can only hear your snares when you whack it.

drumtechdad

Gold Member
Here's both parts: part 1 and part 2.

Apart from changing the tuning of either the snare or the toms that set it off, the best way is to use snare wires with fewer strands. I've switched my snares to 16-strand wires and have much less sympathetic buzz.

thelimpingtoad

Another trick you could do is to tape the snares to the res head... i have done this before and it elimates most of the buzzing from ambient noise... and still provides a tight snare sound when struck.
there are a lot of problems with this concept though... first off, obviously you can't throw off the snares then... secondly, you will lose some sustain from the snare, you're dampening the bottom head and third, your snares will not buzz as much when you strike it so it tightens the sound but that might not be the sound you're looking for.

I guess with all that in mind, taping is probably not a good idea but was something i did in my younger days to cut some of that buzz out. And i think i only did it because my snares were not installed properly so i couldn't tighten them as much as i wanted... I don't remember exactly why I did this.

imispgh

Tune around it.

I have a full set of toms 9 to 16 " with the 13 thrown in (which I use as a timbale). I spent a lot of time, with a drum dial, finding a tuning where buzz was minimal and the toms sounded good going around. Took quite a while. (This doesn't invalidate or replace what gatzen etc says. Use it in addition to that stuff)

The toms are tuned at 78b and 83r with the snare at 88b and 80r. (The 13" matches the snare)

The heads are all coated double ply except for the 9" and I use moongel on all of them at the very edge of the heads.

This does not eliminate buzz (especially from the 10" which is closest) but minimizes it a great deal.

My suggestion is you get the snare where you like it and then get the closest tom to a tuning that works best and then work around from there. Hopefully you can find a tuning that sounds good going around and reduces buzz.

By the way you have to have a drum dial. Wihtout it you can't make precise changes you can record or repeat 9at least without a major hassle)

Steady Freddy

Pioneer Member
Tune around it.The toms are tuned at 78b and 83r with the snare at 88b and 80r.
Tuning is a big issue when dealing with snare buzz. I have 13 snare drums and it's never a problem. I also use a similar snare tuning as mentioned above. I've had my toms from the 80s down into the 60s (drum dial) and it's still not a problem.

Some guys just crank the **** out of a 14 X 6.5 trying to get the popular high pitched pop out of it. They'd be better severed with a smaller snare and a more conservative tuning.

This is just what i did and it got rid of the snare buzz. I had a 20 strand snare and actually cut all the wires to 8 strands. I ended up having to tune my snare reso side a little higher (which is the sound i go for anyways a nice crack) and brought the batter side a little down and whala! I had no more major snare buzz.