Smaller Kits

Twilkes

Looking for a spare-room kit, to fit in a corner, so space is quite a priority. Options are either a new kit like a Mapex Tornado with 18" bass drum; or a 2nd hand kit which will be cheaper (or possibly better quality) but generally seem to be available only with 22" bass drums.

The Tornado sounds fine to me (toms very good, the cymbals are another story though....) but £260 brand new compared to around £150 for a 2nd hand kit mean I could at least get a decent ride cymbal for the 2nd hand kit.

So I guess the question is, will I notice the extra bulk of a 22" bass drum over an 18" in the corner of a spare room with a couple of desks in it?

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
A 20 is a nice size, I'd try for that.

You could put together an orphan kit with the sizes you want for cheap I bet.

But a 22 should fit, it's only 10 cm wider. Just get the shallowest one you can find.

geezer

You'll definitely notice the extra bulk. I've been looking at a Yamaha Club Custom kit in a shop near me - it has an 18" bass drum, and compared to my Rogers kit which has a 20" bass drum there's considerable difference in the footprint, so even more so compared with a 22". If I succumb to the temptation of the Yamaha kit I'll set it up in my tiny apartment and bring my Rogers kit to the space where my band practices. Currently the Rogers is set up at my place and I play on a crappy kit at the practice space so I'm trying to justify the expenditure with thoughts of "More room in my apartment!" and "Play on a nice kit at band practice!" I won't have the dosh til the end of the week so we'll see what happens - if someone else gets to the Yamaha kit before I do then it's not meant to be!

tamadrm

Platinum Member
The foot print of the 22 would be only 4" wider.Hold out your hand,flat and measure the with of your hand,across the knuckles.Most would measure 4".Not a big slace saver.I'd keep looking ,and compromise on a 20x14 bass drum.Still plenty of depth,diameter and punch,with a greater tuning range than the 18.Much more versatility.

Steve B

mpthomson

Yes you will notce the extra bulk, as Geezer says.

Had you considered something like a Pearl Rhythm Traveller or Remo Legero with a very short BD? That would take up even less space.

BradGunnerSGT

Silver Member
The "Player's kit" from Sonor seems like it would be a good fit. It's a Sam Ash exclusive with a 20x12 bass drum, a 14x12 floor tom, and a 10x8 rack tom. It has a very small footprint but the drums have a good sound. You could use it as a practice kit or even a small gigging kit.

toddbishop

Platinum Member
Having a bass drum mount for your ride cymbal really helps you have a smaller footprint, too-- even more than using a smaller bass drum.

Twilkes

Thanks for the help. I've had a look at putting together a kit from random parts, but it always seems like it would work out much more expensive, based on ebay/gumtree prices, although the quality of the individual parts would probably be better. Maybe I'll get a bargain 2nd hand kit, and then get an individual smaller bass drum and upgrade the cymbals.

Part of me also doesn't want to buy new because there are so many unused 2nd hand kits out there that should be put to work, rather than binned or sitting in a shed. :)

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
The "Player's kit" from Sonor seems like it would be a good fit. It's a Sam Ash exclusive with a 20x12 bass drum, a 14x12 floor tom, and a 10x8 rack tom. It has a very small footprint but the drums have a good sound. You could use it as a practice kit or even a small gigging kit.
I really, really like my Players kit. I think Twilkes is in the EU, because he mentioned pounds as currency, or I would have suggested that too. Sonor makes great drums, even the lower lines are nice sounding instruments. The Players kit is a great value. I can fit myself and the whole kit in a 4 x 4 foot space. 20 x 12 is a great space saver size that retains a big kit tone.

Twilkes

I really, really like my Players kit. I think Twilkes is in the EU, because he mentioned pounds as currency, or I would have suggested that too. Sonor makes great drums, even the lower lines are nice sounding instruments. The Players kit is a great value. I can fit myself and the whole kit in a 4 x 4 foot space. 20 x 12 is a great space saver size that retains a big kit tone.
Yep, in the EU, in the UK, in Scotland. :) That Sonor kit looks great, especially the cymbal mount on the bass drum, although I guess you can retrofit something similar on a traditional kit.

Saw some videos of the Rhythm Traveller, and I can get one for about £110 ($150?) so may end up doing that - if it's tuned right it sounds half decent, and I'm mainly using it to work up some jazz rudiments initially, so if it never leaves the bedroom it will have done its job.

Jazz is all in the ride anyway..... ;)

Red Menace

Platinum Member
Having a bass drum mount for your ride cymbal really helps you have a smaller footprint, too-- even more than using a smaller bass drum.
This. I managed to do away with a boom stand recently. I was a flat base one but still had some heft to it. I replaced it with a bass drum mounted cymbal stand and a cowbell clamp so that I could attach it to the hoop. Holds my 22" ride with no problems.