Smaller crash goes where?

After owning only one crash, a ride and highats for 3 years of drumming I've finally bought myself a 6 set of sabian xs20's :)
I loved the sound of them and I loved the price. I could go on forever about them but thats not what Im here to discuss. The thing thats just doing my head in is choosing wich side of my kit to put the larger crash on! o_0 I have a 16" and an 18". At the moment I have the 16 on the left and the 18 on the right because I always like to end on the higher sounding crash after a fill and fills usually end on the floor tom (on the left side of the kit)

I know theres no rule about what side what crash goes on but I'm keen to find out how you guys place your crashes! So lets discuss. Where do you place you crashes and why do you place them there? :D

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Put it where ever you want it mate. This ain't rocket surgery.

Me? I place them where they go "crash" when I hit them.

Seriously, my cymbal set up changes depending on what I'm doing and what cymbals I'm using. Don't overthink this one mate. Put the thing on a stand, put the stand within easy reach and just play the bloody thing. If you don't like it where it is, move it around.....how easy it that? ;-)

Last edited:

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
I play a right hand kit and I like to place the smaller crash on my left side.
I place my splash in the middle of my kit.
That's just me, there is no right answer for this question.

Red Menace

Platinum Member
I put my main crash (18") in front of me and a little to the left. It's just the right distance where I can reach it comfortably with both hands. My china is to my right and well angled, like Dom Famulario's china. I have another Crash (16") on the way and ATM I think I'd like to mount it next to the china on my right. Moving stuff around on the kit till you find your perfect setup is half of the fun though.

Check out Sabian's artist setups for ideas.

mutzy

I use an 18" Paiste 2oo2 Paperthin on my left a little bit further around from my hihat (ala benny greb?) and a 15" 2oo2 on my right just above and to the right of my ride, which covers about 1/3 of my bass drum. 10" 2oo2 splash is pretty much right out in front.

If you're wanting to keep it in a spot on your right side for drum fills, just do 'tom only' fills a few times to see where your sticks end up. Place the cymbal where it seems ergonomically easier to hit (and keep on playing... If it's realllly far off to your right, can you come back to your hihats quick enough?). Test and adjust as necessary.

Homeularis

Gold Member
With my crashes and splashes I seem to go left to right from small to large, just like the toms.
Maybe thats so I know that my higher tones are to the left and lower tones on the right.

I dont know, it just works for me, but this is a great question.

A

audiotech

The way your drum kit and cymbals are arranged is one of the most personal aspects to drumming. Most other instruments are either held or played just one way, but drums are as individual as you are.

If I would have one crash it would be placed just left of my small rack tom. With two crashes, the larger of the two would be placed near my right hand ride cymbal and the smaller crash would be left of my small rack tom. If I added another smaller crash, I would mount it above or between my floor toms. The picture show what I just explained when I'm using just one ride cymbal. If I wasn't using the 16" to the far right, I would just move the 18" a little more to the right to open up the ride a bit more.

The cymbals from left to right are 14" hats, 17" crash, 12" splash, 20" ride, 18" crash, 10" splash, 16" crash and 11" splash.

Dennis

The way your drum kit and cymbals are arranged is one of the most personal aspects to drumming. Most other instruments are either held or played just one way, but drums are as individual as you are.

If I would have one crash it would be placed just left of my small rack tom. With two crashes, the larger of the two would be placed near my right hand ride cymbal and the smaller crash would be left of my small rack tom. If I added another smaller crash, I would mount it above or between my floor toms. The picture show what I just explained when I'm using just one ride cymbal. If I wasn't using the 16" to the far right, I would just move the 18" a little more to the right to open up the ride a bit more.

The cymbals from left to right are 14" hats, 17" crash, 12" splash, 20" ride, 18" crash, 10" splash, 16" crash and 11" splash.

Dennis
Thats a really nice steup man!

MikeM

Platinum Member
In a one ride, two crash setup, I (being right-handed) like to keep my larger crash in front of me. This way:

• I have the power of my biggest crash within easy reach of my hats, but I can also get it with my left hand when I'm on the ride cymbal.

• When working the ride cymbal it's nice to have a faster cymbal right next to it since rides can get loud and washy. It's nice to have something more contrasting and punchy sitting right next to it.

• With the smaller crash sitting in the middle (I keep two crashes in front of me rather than one each side of the ride), it's always easy to get snare/crash combo on it no matter if you're riding the ride or the hats.

• Lastly, for the big two-fisted crash, a big crash for the left fist and and a ride cymbal for the right fist give me big bang. (grunt, ooga booga!)

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
I keep it pretty traditional:

Smaller crash above the hi-hat, larger crash above the ride.

I have given thought to reversing them for all the reasons MikeM posted, but that just doesn't work for me. I think I like having my smaller crash near the hat for accents, knowing I still have the 2nd bigger crash for taking it up a notch. Also if I ride on the crash for a big ending, it's easier to have the larger crash on the right side.

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
The best place for a small cymbal is where you need it most. It's one of those things where there are no rules or "bests".

I bought a Trick recently - called a Detonator or something ridiculously macho like that (FFS). It's a great pedal, the first one I've liked since I had a Speed King, only this beastie has more control via the dials for beater distance and footboard angle. Don't like the beater, though, but it's easily replaced (but not with a felt DW beater, which doesn't fit).

braincramp

Gold Member
Using a 10 cymbal set-up..I have always kept my main 3 crashes out front and piggyback splashes off the 2 on the ends.China goes atop hats...my ride is over by my floor tom and I always liked having a smaller crash just above it to one side or the other so not to interfere with the bell..something to crash quickly while riding..

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I put my favorite go to cymbal next to my ride, and my next fave closest to the hats and my third fave right in front of me. Any effects cymbals go to the periphery.

Lex

Put it where ever you want it mate. This ain't rocket surgery.

Me? I place them where they go "crash" when I hit them.

Seriously, my cymbal set up changes depending on what I'm doing and what cymbals I'm using. Don't overthink this one mate. Put the thing on a stand, put the stand within easy reach and just play the bloody thing. If you don't like it where it is, move it around.....how easy it that? ;-)
Rocket surgery. That's a new one.

No seriously, put it where you want it. There are no rules for it, just personal likes and dislikes.

PreppieNerd

Silver Member
I run two crashes and I put the brighter one on the left (more or less in front of me) as it's the one I am more likely to hit on the downbeat. The other is just to the right of the bell on my ride.